For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Where to start?

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by Power581, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Power581

Power581 Double Actioner

I have decided my next challenge. I am going to paint this on a pice of gesso hard board 12x16". Seeing as how I am no good at drawing I am going to trace the main parts of the picture onto the board. My questions are should I mask the whole board then trace the image on to it so I can remove pieces to use it as a stencil?
    Should I do the background first leaving the fish in place so they are white when I start painting them? Would low tack masking paper be good or would frisket be better? This will be the most detailed picture I have attempted, kind of excited to try it but also a little intimidated by it too. But I like a challenge.
    Oh yeah here is the image.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    frowan and doc1 like this.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Detail Decepticon!

Everything you said would work. Frisket is better for being able to see through and for being able to remove and replace it. Not necessary though.
    Theres a lot going on here.
    Personally I would
    1. mask off the tan coral areas the fish and the sand. Save the female part of the mask. The pearls you can scratch out later so don't worry about them.
    2. Then I would paint a gradient going from light blue at the top to a little darker at the bottom.
    3.Then I would work on one area at a time just freehanding corals. Transfer their very basic features lightly with pencil if need be. Either with carbon paper or just scribble the back of the reference and then lay it down and trace over it. they have very soft edges so freehanding will be easiest
    4. darken in the background rocks
    5. put down the female masks and take up the males from the fish and work on your fish characters one at a time as if they are just individual paintings. however you would do it. bunch of stencils for each of them then shade and highlight probably.
    6. Don't worry about having a stenciled look too much, these are cartoons they have very sharp edges and having those in contrast with the freehanded coral will make them pop!
    7. Do your sand, then your treasure chest
    8. remove the light tan coral masks and freehand them in
    9. Put in your water highlights and maybe some of the dark sea turtles in the back and scratch out the pearls.
    10. Come back and put up a picture and blame following my method for any and all parts you don't like. Also tell me the steps I forgot.

That's just how I would do it. I'm sure you'll get like ten more variations. So whatever suits you.
    JackEb and NEMOPa like this.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Detail Decepticon!

Keep in mind some of this sort of flies in the face of conventional art a little but cartoons have slightly different "rules".
    Even the ones that don't put an outline around everything.
  4. Power581

Power581 Double Actioner

Thanks. Good to know I am on their gut track and not completely out to lunch. :laugh:
    Just waiting for my order of supplies to come in and I can get started. Now that I figured out how to print off a reference that will fit the board I have.