Which airbrush do you use?

Which Airbrush Do You Use?

• Total voters
I also have a Sotar, Passche, Grex, Thayer Chandler and Hp-bc?

Man, I haven't updated this thread in a while. To save the internet some hard drive space, I'll just put down the one's I use the most.
Iwata CMC+
Iwata Eclipse SBS
H&S Evolution AL Plus.

Man, I haven't updated this thread in a while. To save the internet some hard drive space, I'll just put down the one's I use the most.
Iwata CMC+
Iwata Eclipse SBS
H&S Evolution AL Plus.
Olympos didnt get in that list?

The only reason it didn't is because the paint cup is closer to the trigger than I'd like.
I may be selling it here shortly if your still looking.
Remarkably instead of that i bought the bcs for shrts and stuff first... of course i make some money on shirts and looking to do some bigger pieces but i do have a birthday next month

:p@jagardn if you want to send that to @Nada for his birthday ill chip in for the shipping.

Badger, use mostly a velocity jet and a 150 with a heavy needle for coverage and thick paint, also own velocity, rage, 200, 105, 155, a few 150's and a 350. I like em all, just depends on my mood I guess.

Looks like Iwata is getting a lot of love. I want to get a gravity feed with a pretty small cup, but can't decide between the Micron CM-B, High Performance HP-B+, or Eclipse HP-BS. Other than needle diameters, which can be changed, I don't know what the difference is between those models.

Anyone know what the differences between the micron, eclipse and high performance plus models are?

Looks like Iwata is getting a lot of love. I want to get a gravity feed with a pretty small cup, but can't decide between the Micron CM-B, High Performance HP-B+, or Eclipse HP-BS. Other than needle diameters, which can be changed, I don't know what the difference is between those models.

If you are looking at a small cup it means you will be using it for detail work. Then the HP+ or Micron. If you have the money, then Micron is it.

Or look at a Harder & Steenbeck 2-in-1. Comes with big and small cups and big and small nozzle setups.

Anyone know what the differences between the micron, eclipse and high performance plus models are?

Micron = 0.18 = $$$$$
HP+ = 0.2 = $$$
Eclipse = 0.35 = $$

Andre said:
If you are looking at a small cup it means you will be using it for detail work. Then the HP+ or Micron. If you have the money, then Micron is it.
Absolutely correct! Primarily looking for a gravity fed airbrush for detail work, the ability to drop the air pressure down to like 5-10 psi would be nice, needle diameter is less of a concern as I don't really need to paint ten skulls on an area the size of a dime or anything. ;)

Paint goes a long way when doing miniatures and models, I've had some of the same bottles of paint for years and my face is usually pretty close the the work, so a small cup would hold plenty of paint and leave my vision unobstructed for tiny parts.

Andre said:
Micron = 0.18 = $$$$$
HP+ = 0.2 = $$$
Eclipse = 0.35 = $$
I wasn't sure if there was something other than just needle size, but that's kind of what I figured. That's a pretty tiny tip, so I would need to run a pretty thin mix to keep it from clogging or drying on the tip, and I'm not sure if I can reduce paint to like 6:1 when doing miniatures and models, as they tend to have lots of cracks and crevices, so the paint might act more like a wash and suck into those areas with capillary action. On a nice flat surface that probably wouldn't be a problem. I imagine balancing viscosity and drying time gets pretty hairy when your needles that small, and I know you can get some surprisingly good detail out of larger needles if you reduce well, drop the pressure and get the needle tip close enough to the work.

All that said, I'm not sure if my skill level is high enough for a micron yet, and not sure if the bank would approve another loan (read as wife), but it sounds like that is the one I should go with, it would certainly teach me faster than the others.

Thanks for the response, some good information there, lots of stuff for me to consider! :)

Since my last post, some things have changed. New list below:

Iwata Custom Micron CM-C+ v2
Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CRplus
Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CRplus
Harder & Steenbeck Evolution ALPlus
Iwata Eclipse HP-CS
Iwata Revolution CR
Iwata Revolution BR

I use each and everyone of them almost equally.

Lets see how my collection have grown from what I had.

What I use and and what I have are two different things.

I use my Iwata HP-CS most.
I have locked in storage
1x Badger 105 Patriot
2x Badger 150 (looks like 150s. does not have markings on)

1x Badger 150 is in use for artist varnishes. Other one in pieces. Not interested in getting it up and running.
1x HP-CS still going strong.
1x CM-SBS the best of the best.
1x HP-C 50th anniversary edition. In drawer and will never use.
1x HP-B bought second hand. Works great but I hate cleaning it.
1x H&S Infinity CR+ in drawer. Too pretty to use.
1x H&S Evolution CR+. Gets a lot of use.

What the next one will be I have no idea. Maybe Olympos.

Back