For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Which airbrush do you use?

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by Malsograf, Mar 5, 2012.

?

Which Airbrush Do You Use?

1. Passche

16.1%
  2. Iwata

55.7%
  3. Grex

2.3%
  4. Badger

28.2%
  5. Harder Steenbeck

19.0%
  6. Master Series

5.3%
  7. Knock Off's Made in China

11.8%
  8. Richpen

2.0%
  9. Olympos

3.2%
  10. EFBE

0.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

that's fair enough, we all get on better with different things, otherwise they would only make one type of everything.
    I had 3 Iwata external MAC valves (not quick connect) and the range of regulation was crap, I bought a GREX mac quick connect and its brilliant.
    jord001 likes this.
  2. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

The cheap Chinese valve/quick couplings are terrible. The Sparmax ones with the black dial is great.
    jord001 and CrunchyDaddy like this.
  3. CrunchyDaddy

CrunchyDaddy Young Tutorling

Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup:
  4. ferret

ferret Needle-chuck Ninja

I got the FPC valve for my H&S brushes works great
    CrunchyDaddy likes this.
  5. J000seph

J000seph Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

image.jpeg

I sold my Badgers & went all Iwata.
    Well, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of one Badger 150.

Left/top: HP-C Classic (.3)

Left/center: HP-C Classic (poor man's Micron, .2 needle, .2 nozzle, Olypos handle)

Left/bottom: HP-CH Hi-line (.3)

Center row: HP-CS Eclipses (.35)

Right/top: Badger 150 (multiple tips/needles, counterbalanced handle, one-piece Renegade needle tube/rocker)

Right/center & bottom: HP-BCS Eclipses (.5)

If you notice, there is room near the bottom for a Custom Micron. My birthday is in September. Just saying.
    jord001 and AndreZA like this.
  6. Sbc

Sbc Young Tutorling

155, 3155, 105 and Krome. Bought in that sequence.

Many decades ago I had a 200.
    jord001 likes this.
  7. Booster

Booster Young Tutorling

I haven't done much since the mid nineties & am just getting re-started. I still have my old Aerograph Super 63, Sprite, Paasche VL & a Iwata HP-C Plus which I bought in Thailand. I do like the look of the Badger Krome & DAGR.
    J000seph likes this.
  8. ZB DON

ZB DON Young Tutorling

My first was a either a Aztek or Iwata HP-C sold the Aztek due to clogged needles I mean they are plastic...
    The HP-C would clog pretty easy also no matter what I did. I switched to a Paasche Talon which I own x4 of them.
    Most recently go a Paasche Raptor that is a nice brush plus it uses the same needles as nozzles as a Talon which I had backups of.
    I wrote the possibility of Paasche having a low profile high end brush a few months before it was released and they delivered.
    Talon is just as good though if you don't mind the large color cup.

I also own two renegade velocities which I don't use much cause they seem to clog easier with my cheap paints. I also have a Paasche H for stippling which it works great for that.
    basepaint likes this.
  9. Bigmike

Bigmike Young Tutorling

I currently have 10 with an HP-TH on the way. I bought the Paasche Talon with the fan tip to see if I liked the fan action & I did. So I picked up a TH and will sell off the Paasche (used once) to keep everything Iwata. I do custom diecast, Hot Wheels size.

Currently I have:
    Custom Micron CM-Bv.2
    Hi-Line HP-BH
    Hi-Line HP-CH
    Kustom CS
    Eclipse HP-CS (x3)
    Eclipse HP-BCS (x2)
    Paasche Talon
    Kustom HP-TH on the way

[​IMG]
    jord001, J000seph and Ricky Spanish like this.
  10. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Needle-chuck Ninja

My first airbrush was a Badger Cresendo C-175. It was a good ab with multiple needles and head assemblies and I still hold on to it for sentimental purposes ( with the occasional use for larger areas). I then picked up a Neo for Iwata CN a couple years later. I liked the detail that it could be produced, but didn't like the soft material used for the fluid nozzle tip ( The taper in the cup I didn't fancy as well). I then did some research and looked for something in my price range that could produce detailed work. After a bit of thought I purchased an Iwata Hi-line CH and converted it to a .20mm needle and head assembly. I couldn't be happier with the results I have been getting. My last purchase (to date) has been the Eclipse HP-BCS, which had been a great ab for doing larger areas.
  11. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

My airbrushing existence consists of two very different parts - the beginning was in @1985-86, lasted for 3 or 4 years, and then there was a 26 year break. I decided to start painting again in the winter of 2015, and purchased my first new airbrush in beginning of 2016.

When I first started, I was working in an art dept. for a company that would give us bonuses based on the sales of the designs we produced. I received a nice fat, bonus check, and headed right for the art supply store. On a complete whim, I decided to buy an airbrush to learn how to use. That was a Paasche V side feed brush, a small Paasche diaphragm compressor, and a set of Doc Marten's concentrated watercolor colors. I used the brush that first day with some decent results. The next day I went to try it again, and could not get the brush to spray a bit of paint. I called Paasche, and all they could tell me was that the brush must be dirty... I tried all day to get that thing to work like it did on day 1, but by days end I was back in the art store, and purchased a Badger 100 side feed. Never touched the Paasche again... Within a few weeks I purchased an Olympos MP-200b Micron in a fitted case, with spare head assembly, and needle that had come from Japan as a special order item. The owner of the art supply store had ordered it for someone that gave a deposit, but never did return to purchase the brush. He gave it to me for the difference between the deposit and the wholesale cost ;-) I spent a few years painting a ton, and learning what I could as fast as I could. I purchased just about all of the Badger 100 series brushes, all the Iwata HP series brushes, a Thayer Chandler, and a complete Aztek brush set. I then had a family, and life changed, so all of the airbrush stuff went away...

Skip ahead about 26 years, and I have spent a career working with computer graphics, raised a family, and gotten old ;-) I am now a full time caregiver for my wife who became disabled. I decided to take up painting again in the winter of 2015, and asked my wife for a set of acrylic paints for the Holidays. Once I started, I struggled to get the look I was after, and thought that an airbrush would help ;-) In January of 2016 I purchased a Paasche Talon set. Then a Badger Sotar to replace one I had picked up somewhere over the last 20 years that needed rebuild... then I just had to replace that Olympos MP200B that was my first true love, then an Iwata Micorn to compare it to; a Harder and Steenbeck CR+ 2 in 1 was a good experimental piece to try - a year later and I have @ 30 brushes ;-) They range from top shelf, to bottom drawer - but are all brushes I will use, or I do not keep them.
  12. Arlin

Arlin Young Tutorling

I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, HP-BCS, and a Iwata HP-CH with a .2mm conversion.
    J000seph likes this.
  13. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

So some more items has arrived.
    2x Olympos HP-100SB. One is for spares and the other already needs a new needle.
    1x HP-BCS. I did plan for this one to replace my Badger 150 but it is too nice. The Badger can continue doing the varnishing.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. J000seph

I tried to downsize. Now I only own brushes I actually use. It was fun to try other brushes, but I think my AAD has come to an end. I ended up with this:

IMG_5530.JPG
  15. Patrick Van Laere

Patrick Van Laere Young Tutorling

16. Patrick Van Laere

What a beautiful chest to keep your airbrush in is it self made?
    And what material is the foam where you store your airbrushes?
    grts,
    Patrick
  17. J000seph

IMG_5534.JPG

Hey Patrick, that's a "machinist" chest. I happen to use one also because they have so many small drawers. Most of them are wooden but I've seen metal ones too.
  18. Patrick Van Laere

Nice :)
  19. J000seph

I'm jealous of @Bigmike 's foam insert. Hmmm...
  20. Ed Beard Jr

Ed Beard Jr Double Actioner

I have used them all from Passche , Badger Cressendo 175, 150 Iwata Micron side feed but my work horse has been Vega 2000 for the past 15 years.