For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Which airbrush paint do you use?

Discussion in 'Airbrush Paints' started by Blackthorne, Jun 6, 2014.

?

Which airbrush paint do you use?

1. Com-Art

19.7%
  2. Createx (regular, AA, illustration, wicked)

62.3%
  3. E'TAC (PS, EFX, TNT)

16.2%
  4. Golden

11.0%
  5. House Of Kolor

7.9%
  6. Jacquard

1.8%
  7. Spectra Tex

5.3%
  8. Testor

3.1%
  9. Trident

8.8%
  10. Other (Faskolor, Inspire, Liquitex, Paasche, SEM, Schmincke,Tamiya, Holbein ... )

26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hobostubs

hobostubs Young Tutorling

Ive been using a witches brew of walmart craft paint ,some holy water,alcohol,window cleaner,and a few magical drops of glicerine,i then cast a spell,hope and pray,let sit for hours letting the brew,simmer,and then and if the moon is right,and my tarot cards say its time,i try it,if im lucky it will flow though my talon ts,if not it goes though a vl ,there will shoot anything:)
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Drop the window clean , Go to Hobby Lobby and buy Wicked , Glycerin 1 drop per OZ 25 % or the bottle size of Alcohol and the rest you can use your holy water on.
    Window cleaner have other things in it that are not good for the paint or your health when put into as fine a mist as an airbrush produces .

W-500 reducer works great too but for practice I use my home brew , I do use 200 proof 100% alcohol
  3. hobostubs

Thanks, i have alot bulk of pacific tee paint,which is 16 years old some turned solid but most looks good,ive been using the homemade stuff,to practice,but did try some of the black,it would shoot though the vl but was hard going though the talon ts,same problem i sometimes have with the homemade,so im not sure if theres a trick i can use to help it flow though the talon,i like that brush for lettering,although i have not used the talon ts long,i have used and like vl for shirts,and have your heard of big airbrush Rush tshirt paint im on a budget and its priced cheap for tshirts?
  4. hobostubs

5. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

6. zombiefury

zombiefury Double Actioner

How is that Com-art paint?pretty decent?Seen it on Amazon,brighter than createx?I need something that's not just for t-shirts.something I can use on everything.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Fizzylicious

Fizzylicious Double Actioner

Golden here - only real reason for that is that my teacher used that so I figured it would be good stuff.
    No real experience with other paints yet, guess I ought to try Createx some time seeing how widely spread it is being used :)
  8. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Com art is good paint but notfor textiles. For everything wicked. Im also told etac ps is good
  9. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

10. hobostubs

when i 1st started around 15 i used model paint thinned down with thinner,closed room no fan or mask,good times:)
    Basstrack238 likes this.
  11. hobostubs

after trying to make a decent homemade paint,ive got into,createx and love it,at the same time chicago airbrush has spextta tex on half price so i bought as much as i could afford, i like the cretex better,but the spectra tex seems ok,but all i do is t shirts,I hear nothing but great news with wicked but,im on a budget,trying to get everything ready to set up a small fair stand,the createx seems great for my budget and t shirts
  12. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

13. Godom

Godom Young Tutorling

I been using Wicked a lot but just started using PPG Envirobase. I used PPG Deltron system for years and it's a great automotive airbrush paint but the Envirobase is really impressing me. It's more problematic than than the solvent Deltron system but it's just the typical learning curve from going from solvent to waterborne automotive paints. If you like Wicked you would probably love PPG Envirobase.
    Best Regards,
    Godom
  14. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Needle-chuck Ninja

Ahh the good old days....

Ppg huh, is there anyplace online to get it? I know ppg can be tough to find.
  15. Godom

Godom Young Tutorling

I get it from automotive paint supply stores. They have mixing banks so they can sell you whichever toner or color you want. I live in Oklahoma City and there are several auto paint suppliers around here, not all of them sell PPG some sell DuPont etc. DuPont chroma base is the worst automotive paint I've used for Ab ing . If you use black DuPont to do drop shadows under flame licks or graphics it has a real grainy or coarse look to it like the paint isn't ground down very fine and PPG black reduced looks smooth and transparent like a real shadow. DuPont is a good paint but not for ABing in my opinion. I like the PPG but I use Wicked colors a lot .
  16. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Needle-chuck Ninja

I like auto air candy black for a lot of my work. I like it's transparency, and find i use it for a lot of my shading, but I'll have to check out my auto body supply place that i get my ppg stuff from to see if they can get prices for me.
  17. Godom

Godom Young Tutorling

I havent tried auto air candy black but it may be just as good or better than ppg. Using automotive paint always use a hot reducer even when it is cooler than what the reduer calls for, it cuts down on tip dry big time-
  18. Nicholas Pane

Nicholas Pane Young Tutorling

Hello:
    I have a pal who owns a sign shop and offers custom painting. He is truly an artist in every respect. He uses a lot of hardware store and automotive paint. Awhile ago he painted my wife s and my name on our airplane and he used an airbrush with aviation enamel.

nicholas
  19. bex

bex Gravity Guru

Inspire

I was using other brands but hav switched to these now. I demod for them too at a few events as I liked the paints that much. Although I think with airbrush choice as well its more personal preference and love all the work all artist do .
  20. Amra

Amra Gravity Guru

I have a lot of vallejo acrylics that I use for models and miniatures. I have, on occasion, thinned them and sprayed them through my airbrush (thinned with 80% distilled water, 20% alcohol, mixed with a bit of medium retarder and flow-aid), but for the airbrush I tend to use createx paints, when thinning those I tend to use just distilled water, occasionally ill use same mixture I use for my vallejo's. Mostly I use Wicked, and Wicked detail, but I have some of the regular createx paints as well.