Which airbrush paint do you use?

Which airbrush paint do you use?

• Total voters
Im trying out the ppg envirobase paint .... any tips on thinning, im shooting it with a paasche vision ( talon) ......

My painting needs are based around plastic model kits for the most part. I tend to use Tamiya acrylics above all else, followed closely by Model Master acrylics, then Vallejo paints.

I have a lot of vallejo acrylics that I use for models and miniatures. I have, on occasion, thinned them and sprayed them through my airbrush (thinned with 80% distilled water, 20% alcohol, mixed with a bit of medium retarder and flow-aid), but for the airbrush I tend to use createx paints, when thinning those I tend to use just distilled water, occasionally ill use same mixture I use for my vallejo's. Mostly I use Wicked, and Wicked detail, but I have some of the regular createx paints as well.

Vallejo has a Model Air brand you can spray straight from the bottle. I do find you will still get tip dry, so I always add a bit of thinner. A good tip on Vallejo paints is the Createx Airbrush Cleaner works FANTASIC as a thinner. It seems to help with tip dry as well, other than Createx, I would stick to the Vallejo thinner exclusively for the best results. Never use an alcohol based thinner with Vallejo, you will gum up your gun to no ends. I'm surprised you got away with any alcohol, that paint has adverse reactions to the product.

http://imgur.com/a/dWssM

Last edited by a moderator:
Being financially challenged I use bottom of the barrel craftsmart paint from Michaels. Seems to work fine for dots, lines and dagger stroke practice.

Jim

Glad to see I'm not the only one on the economy hay wagon, but the tip drying is definitely getting to me. E'tac here I come.

Well if you had made an introduction telling us how long you have been airbrushing, what type of work you do as far as what you paint it would be much easier to offer advice http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
Oh, is that what you mean "telling something about yourself"? Sheesh, I and here thought you were talking about my non-existent sex life, and that's why I left it blank. Ok. I'll try again . . . . .

What? Why I hardly know what you could mean sir. I am but a genteel and naive little flower, as pure and innocent as the day is long *flutters eyelashes*, a sweet and unworldy little cherub, and butter wouldn't melt in my mouth.

Wow I am soooo not going to touch this. LoL. I'll take your word for it.

I been using Wicked a lot but just started using PPG Envirobase. I used PPG Deltron system for years and it's a great automotive airbrush paint but the Envirobase is really impressing me. It's more problematic than than the solvent Deltron system but it's just the typical learning curve from going from solvent to waterborne automotive paints. If you like Wicked you would probably love PPG Envirobase.
Best Regards,
Godom
PPG is awesome. Just hard to get in small amounts.

Im trying out the ppg envirobase paint .... any tips on thinning, im shooting it with a paasche vision ( talon) ......
I have been introduced to PPG WB about a year ago. Mixing colors is basic, cutting to reduce or stretch without losing quality or getting spidery with water is a no brainer. It is such a great product, but mostly geared towards the auto collision industry. Finding dealers who will mix up pints of basic colors is hard. They work off of the auto code color numbers system to match car paints. I tried several times contacting PPG to inquire about a way to get the paint for the art industry with no replies. I'm hoping that sometime or sooner they will make artists a part of their business . I will be finding out more about this in about a month. I have a meeting set up with a friend who is diehard user of the product. I wish a PPG rep would contact me I know I could et so many artists to check this product out with pleasant results. The solvent product is widely used and remarkable for many solvent based uses and businesses , but I want to use Enviro Water Based.

What? Why I hardly know what you could mean sir. I am but a genteel and naive little flower, as pure and innocent as the day is long *flutters eyelashes*, a sweet and unworldy little cherub, and butter wouldn't melt in my mouth.
"the longer the daylight the less I do wrong..."

HOC.PPG .SHERWIN WILLIAMS,select.nason.pearl powders.flakes. concentraits. Dupont. auto air or what ever else I can get threw the gun.it all depends on what job I'm doin.

I used Createx (pearl, opaque and trasparent) and Ferrario color, but i have only bad experience, now i buy the hansa pro color kit.
I hope work better with this paint.

I've been using goldens I've bought over the years, also endura body paints. Might have to stick my toes into another brand eventually, I sprayed ppg for years in the sign business interesting people are airbrushing it.

Lol, I hate Trident, and am not keen on E'tac, but love Createx Wicked. It just goes to show, there's no one size fits all in the AB world.

Newbies:
Paint is an often overlooked choice when starting out. But is just as important as choosing the rest of your kit. What you want to do, and the surface you want to paint on can help narrow the options. But if possible get samples of different brands before you settle on one, they all behave a little differently and need different reductions (or not), or different properties (multi surface, re-wettable, etc). And whatever you do don't go out and buy the whole colour pallette of any brand until you've given it some good trials. There have been a few times on the forum folks have dome that, only to find they really aren't getting on with it.

I use Createx Illustration Colors, Wicked, Wicked Detail, Autoborne Sealers, Auto Air, Inspire Candies & H20, Candy 2 O is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back