Which paint?

Bosse

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hi, I have been asked to paint a motorcycle tank, my question is. Is it ok use waterbased paint as long you seal it with 2 component clear coat? If so, what paint would you use?

iPhone through Tapatalk.

A lot of cars are being painted with waterbased paints these days so I would say yes. Simon Murray painted a plane with Createx products so I would say go with that.

I would almost say by my experience go with Createx Auto Air or go right to HOK and airbrush in an extremely ventilated area. In my experience the water based paints tend to have more reaction with the Clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use water based paints with no issues as long as you prep the area correctly first. There should be no problem clear coating with a 2k clear afterwards. @Squishy may be able to shed more light on the subject as she uses wicked colours and im almost sure she has her work cleared afterwards with a 2k clear.

Lee

I have exclusively used wicked on all of my automotive projects. I have found that it does tend to react slightly unless you use their automotive reducer. Which basically turned it into a solvent anyways. It is just very important to make sure you lay down extremely light coats as any heavy spots seem to react more and bleed a bit. I have had good luck with covering my work with a few medium layers of the intercoat and then lightly dust on some transparent base. A guide light guide coat with the clear to start seems to help also. Its weird it seems that sometimes it reacts and sometimes it doesnt

Wicked works great for automotive. I use the 4012 high performance reducer. (which I always use anyway, for every surface from board to leather).It has a high percentage of pigment so the colour looks great when cleared, but the high pigment is what some folks don't like as you need to reduce more, and build up the layers.
The trans (detail) paints pop better so I use those and either paint an area white first if needed over a dark background, or do a white under painting first.

Just scuff the base and go, I never use any inter coats or anything, though you can, and then just clear with a 2k, usually U-pol.

I used Wicked, Wicked Detail, Etac PS and every time I would take it to be cleared I would have little pimply bumps come up on the surface. It didn't matter if I had dusted a transparent base over the top or not. Then there was the time the guy decided to degrease it with a cloth and Windex and whipped the art right off. After that three different collision shops told me not to bring my work back. That's why I stopped doing automotive work. With no place to clear myself and no shop what was the use.

Wow, how frustrating is that! That has never happened to me, occasionally get a bit of dust or something, but it polishes right out. Were the bumps all over, or just where the artwork was, sounds a bit like orange peel, which is the guy who is clearings fault.

I only use Etac PS on metal and if there has to be a portrait on lets say a motorcycle tank I would even use Etac efx and seal it with the AG 2050 before I send it of for clear coat , I never had any problems with it I just showed the guys who do all my clear coating how they can de -grease the Etac paints if the feel the need to do so as I always make sure all my work is scruffed and de greased before it goes out for clear

I am sure it was the guy shooting clear. Most likely using fast reducer so they can pump out the work.

I did not have the AG at the time. Plus they probably felt it wasn't worth the money they were charging. Maybe someday I will paint a Helmet or something and buy a rattle can of 2k to see how it reacts for me.

All I know is that the bodyshop I used to go to was real pleased with the PS and liked the fact they could de grease it and they always did a killer job on the clear coats even if I asked for a 4 coat layer . the only reason I stopped using them for my clear coat jobs was the fact the started to over charge me for every part I send in.
the guy that is doing all the clear coats for me right now is a airbrush artist that happens to work in a body and sign shop and he knows how to work with Etac paints :D

Hi buddy, i use water based paints exclusively. Mainly helmets. I coat with automotive single pack clear coat. Then hand compound and polish to a mirror finish. Works for me every time. No worries.

Back