Which type of paint i can use to airbrush T-shirt, fabric?

The paints already mentioned in this thread are good, how long they last, and how bright they stay depend on the prep and finish of the shirt as mentioned by wmlepage above. Also a higher pressure to really get the paint into the fabric, rather than have it sat on the surface. Even then you need to be gentle with washing, and use a mild detergent.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me! Here is the summary I made to achieve the best-of-the-superbest wash fast results for tops for women in the luxury fashion market using washing machine, cold water and soft detergent: 0] tight wave fabrics only, 1] shirt prep (pre-wash without softener + dry and iron garment + apply Transparent Base that go with pigments of your paints on the canvas area for laying sticking-out fabric hairs down and for a glossier finish + Heatset), 2] use very good paints, I was positively advised on Wicked Colours from Createx on shirts (contains solvent and coarser grind) and with the related Reducer getting the right transparency there, 3] shoot/pump in straight from the bottle using larger needle gun like .5 needle iwata eclipse at least 50psi but some say 60psi+ (high psi for good penetration), 4] cover artwork with Transparent Base for protection layer + Heatset. Any correction or addition to the above will be most welcome!!!!! Cheers!

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I live in GEORGIA (near RUSSIA) and airbrushing is on its stone age here. :) I want to be first airbrusher in my city. I bought airbrush kit on Amazon.com but had no money for paint. As i mentioned here are no airbrush shops, paint, parts and etc. So i have problem: I do not know what type of paint i can use to airbrush T-shirt. I want paint that will not remove after wash on 30 celcius.

Please, if you can help me to find out type of paint. In stores there are standart car paint, waterbased aquarell paint for paper painting and very cheap spray paint. On Amazon its very expensive for me to buy Createx or other paint, so i want to buy paint i my country. I hope you'll help me.

Thank you.
For airbrushing T-shirt or any fabric createx airbrush paint should be use, it comes in transparent and opaque both. Createx is heavy pigmented acrylic paint that are already pre-thinned for airbrushing. You can also use the media or the golden fluids . You can use most of the paints with airbrush. You cannot use any thin acrylic paint, and will not endure.

xctmp2ZizCX.png

Hi ddabratin,
The challenge is to paint on fabrics (tops for women) with excellent wash fast results; thus not to paint on a hard surface!"
Createx AC washes off a little too much (cold wash / 1 hour / soft soap / inside out ), even after good shirt prep and heatsetting, so not suitable for the high-end market incl for the fashion industry. We are looking for superb wash-fast results, maintaining the brightness of the paints after washing. Createx additives like Transsparent Base only work with the pigments of Createx Wicked Colours, and Wicked Colours are better for fabrics.
Cheers!

Hi ddabratin,
The challenge is to paint on fabrics (tops for women) with excellent wash fast results; thus not to paint on a hard surface!"
Createx AC washes off a little too much (cold wash / 1 hour / soft soap / inside out ), even after good shirt prep and heatsetting, so not suitable for the high-end market incl for the fashion industry. We are looking for superb wash-fast results, maintaining the brightness of the paints after washing. Createx additives like Transsparent Base only work with the pigments of Createx Wicked Colours, and Wicked Colours are better for fabrics.
Cheers!
Standard createx is pretty durable for fabrics.. im not sure why you think less so than wicked.. with that said i use wicked on fabrics all the time.
Standard createx covers better but you really need a .5 setup to get good performance from them.

Also transparent base is available in standard createx. And i can mix and match at will.

Hi ddabratin,
Cheers!
Hmm 3 post and none of them an Introduction ... Off to a rocky start best get your ass over to the introduction section asap http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Now Createx standard as it is now being referred too . Is great for t-shirts and most textiles .I have had a couple of shirt painted way back in the day (late 70's early 80's that still are holding their color . (note not painted by me )

Standard createx is pretty durable for fabrics.. im not sure why you think less so than wicked.. with that said i use wicked on fabrics all the time.
Standard createx covers better but you really need a .5 setup to get good performance from them.
Hmm 3 post and none of them an Introduction ... Off to a rocky start best get your ass over to the introduction section asap http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Now Createx standard as it is now being referred too . Is great for t-shirts and most textiles .I have had a couple of shirt painted way back in the day (late 70's early 80's that still are holding their color . (note not painted by me )

Dear Nada and dear Mr.Micron and, ¨durability¨of the paints was not the aim, but thanks anyway.

Nada, thanks for the tip, I may try Standard Createx again with .5 needle and try 50 to 60 psi to push in the paint, maybe that helps solving my challenge. ´Better Coverage´ is neither my aim though. Wicked Colours contain (this info came from professionals) solvent and coarser grind which theoretically should bind better with fabric. I will compare both results; I am looking for extremely good results on maintaining the colours bright/shiny like just painted....after washing the way I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Nada and dear Mr.Micron and, ¨durability¨of the paints was not the aim, but thanks anyway.

Nada, thanks for the tip, I may try Standard Createx again with .5 needle and try 50 to 60 psi to push in the paint, maybe that helps solving my challenge. ´Better Coverage´ is neither my aim though. Wicked Colours contain (this info came from professionals) solvent and coarser grind which theoretically should bind better with fabric. I will compare both results; I am looking for extremely good results on maintaining the colours bright/shiny like just painted....after washing the way I mentioned.
I am not sure who you are getting your information from But WICKED is finer ground pigment and is not solvent based , WICKED Detail is even finer ground then the Wicked which is why they will work straight out the bottle through a .20 nozzle set up. Createx Illustration if the finest ground they make .
SO unless you can name some names we will never know how professional they are, But I get my information straight from the horses mouth aka CREATEX and the MSDS sheets required for environmental health and safety department here in the states .

...... I am looking for extremely good results on maintaining the colours bright/shiny like just painted....after washing the way I mentioned.

Longterm durability is based a lot on how you prep the shirt, and by getting the paint right into the fibres. Mild detergent and gentle washing and it should keep looking good. Wicked is finer ground, and has a high pigment ratio giving bright colours, and way easier to use than regular createx.

Also transparent base is available in standard createx. And i can mix and match at will.
I am not sure who you are getting your information from But WICKED is finer ground pigment and is not solvent based , WICKED Detail is even finer ground then the Wicked which is why they will work straight out the bottle through a .20 nozzle set up. Createx Illustration if the finest ground they make .
SO unless you can name some names we will never know how professional they are, But I get my information straight from the horses mouth aka CREATEX and the MSDS sheets required for environmental health and safety department here in the states .

Dear Mr. Micron, I believe what comes from the horses mouth rather than info from professionals here and there, thanks a lot!!! Will try the .20 nozzle straight from the bottle. Regards from Spain.

Longterm durability is based a lot on how you prep the shirt, and by getting the paint right into the fibres. Mild detergent and gentle washing and it should keep looking good. Wicked is finer ground, and has a high pigment ratio giving bright colours, and way easier to use than regular createx.
Dear Squishy, agreed; shirt prep and getting the paint right into the fabrics are key! Curing the paints according to fabric instructions is a 3rd one. Some professionals that have tested with different paints have become advocates of their favourite brands to paint on tees; f.e. Golden Fluid Acrylics mixed with Airbrush Medium (not sold in Spain so would need to add transportation costs form another EU country..). Would you have a recommendation of paints for tshirts.

In all honesty I haven't done many shirts, but when I have I've used Wicked and it worked really well :) But you're right, people will always have their favourites :)

Dear Squishy, agreed; shirt prep and getting the paint right into the fabrics are key! Curing the paints according to fabric instructions is a 3rd one. Some professionals that have tested with different paints have become advocates of their favourite brands to paint on tees; f.e. Golden Fluid Acrylics mixed with Airbrush Medium (not sold in Spain so would need to add transportation costs form another EU country..). Would you have a recommendation of paints for tshirts.
Perhaps @Diegojavbau can help you out. He paints a lot of shirts!

I use regular acrilic paint or regular acrilic fabric paint , nothing special , as I always said , the more the image stand on the t-shirt is all about the care of the owner when wash the t-shirt.

I read some people that use latex paint in t-shirts t (interior wall paint) and others that use serigraphy ink too , waterbased or not , to have more durability.

Is all about you and your preferences .

Back