White Fillagraphy Over Black

sammiz

Double Actioner
Hey guys,

So a friend of mine wants a black painted canvas with coloured hibiscus flowers somewhere.
Basically im thinking of three or four flower heads in the centre of the painting which will be Landscape 600 x 450 double gessoed canvas.

But to spice it up i want to try fliiagraphy( right word? ) or orante leave/vine design in White behind it in a pattern.

I am using wicked opaques and Black and white Illustration Colours atm. I would use a spray can to black in canvas .

My worries are how would the fliiagraphy work over black? i know about blue shift and tinting it to work in my favour but still unsure of the outcome. I would mask the flowers out before i paint it.

Maybe do i mask out the fillgraphy before i paint black then paint white and clean up edges with black?

All help apreciated thanks guys

( also working on mock up in Photoshop so could post it if it helps)

Cant help with your main problem sammiz but you need to make sure your canvas is a nice smooth surface mate your planning on using and eraser on ur piece, canvas textures a pain in the a ss

Paint the canvas the white you need. Mask everything including the flowers. Spray the black. Remove masks and work on the white.

Okay thanks Andreza, was just curious about the fillagrapghy as it will be freehand.

But thats all good just means i will have to draw in design first! :)

Cant help with your main problem sammiz but you need to make sure your canvas is a nice smooth surface mate your planning on using and eraser on ur piece, canvas textures a pain in the a ss
Hey Matty its not smooth - smooth so to say im going off the flyer card so to say it came with, says double gessoed.

Its hard but not smooth, im thinking of just trying to preserve my highlights. I hope they will be okay!

Okay thanks Andreza, was just curious about the fillagrapghy as it will be freehand.

But thats all good just means i will have to draw in design first! :)

Don't draw it on the canvas, draw it on the mask. OR you can use liquid mask and just paint it in with a brush.

Hey Guys , Here is my layout i drew up in photoshop.

the lines wont be exactly like that they are just a guide i threw in quickly ... would the process still be the same?

Sammiz

Attachments

• Layout-Web.jpg
    Layout-Web.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 46
Seeing that now, I think masking the whites and painting in the black is the best option.

Seeing that now, I think masking the whites and painting in the black is the best option.
Should I try and go tight in the white lines or leave some room for play and come back afterwards and clean up with black ?

Back