wicked black opague vs jetblack?

youre definitely on to something.
Right now im thinking wicked uses most medium, least water and least pigment.
Detail swaps some medium for water and or 2-BE (possibly adjusts some pigment too)
CI drops some medium and adds more 2-BE for slower cure time and ups the pigment load.
Which would jive with pretty much everything createx says and with what wickedartstudio found in his side by sides

Last edited:
that little bottle with black color which I posted back I put black wicked inside, transparent base wicked and color. And mixed it. After it sits for long, transparent base falls down, you can see it on picture, its at the bottom, but water stays mixed.

2-BE . (butoxyethanol) which is listed as being in all the paints but is the only ingredient other than water in 4012
So yeah basically reducer, or at least its active ingredient.
Which happens to slow down the cure times making CI take 48 hours to become not so eraseable

What about the detail? Can you smell it in the detail?
If so then idk you might be able to make detail from regular. You would probably need some pure 2-BE though so that you could add it without adding water like you get when adding reducer, Or you know add it at different ratios w water
CI smells alot more like reducer, so its 2-BE content is definitely up there

Last edited:
there is a slightly different resin smell to the CI though. So it could be that they put a little matte medium or something in there too.
IDK hard to say
Still I dont see the point in detail. If you need fine detail and or eraseability than CI is where its at, need on a hard surface, add some 4030.
Otherwise for general use wicked color is good.
Detail isnt really filling a gap since they came out with CI.
IMO

found it!
Wicked Colors are sheered to a binder size of 0.5 microns and dry semi-gloss level of 70+ degrees. Wicked Detail Colors are sheered to a particle size of 0.1 microns and dry to a flat finish of 30+ degrees, perfect for illustrators as a flat finish reflects the color’s true hue.

And im pretty sure CI has the same size as detail, then uses far less resin or a different resin

there is a medium specially designed for painting on paper on that pdf link I provided for pigments.
found it!
Wicked Colors are sheered to a binder size of 0.5 microns and dry semi-gloss level of 70+ degrees. Wicked Detail Colors are sheered to a particle size of 0.1 microns and dry to a flat finish of 30+ degrees, perfect for illustrators as a flat finish reflects the color’s true hue.

And im pretty sure CI has the same size as detail, then uses far less resin or a different resin

When I buy nozzles and needles are the sizes in microns? I know it sounds stupid to ask, but I buy them by numbers, but in reality I don't have a clue what measurement is used for needles. I am asking this cause if the size of needles and nozzles is also in microns, how the hell can 0.5 micron binder go true 0.35 on eclipse...
edit: 0.35mm. How much is micron? :D

in my defence i am drinking my morning coffee so this post doesn't count! lol

Yeah. Imagine pouring rocks through a 20mm funnel. Which will flow better .5 mm pebbles or .1mm sand.
Not the best example numberwise but you see what I mean. It about how the particles bunch up.

And since filtering is usually only done to take out the big stuff not the small. You would likely have a blend of .5 and smaller particles. So just like with the rocks, the worst flow is a mix of the .5 pebbles and .1 sand
Which would likely clog a 20mm hole every now and then

IDK if that's from pigment size or increased 2be or reduced/different resin or what.
@SiRoxx had mentioned detail likes to settle out too which I haven't noticed much in CI but I haven't sprayed a lot of it either

That’s true. The two colours I’ve tried were Burnt Umber and Payne’s Grey. I don’t know if there was a problem with my Umber, but it would leave sediment in the bottom of the cup even if I used about a third of a paint cup and sprayed it through within 15mins. The Payne’s Grey didn’t have sediment, but would start coming out very blue towards the bottom of the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s true. The two colours I’ve tried were Burnt Umber and Payne’s Grey. I don’t know if there was a problem with my Umber, but it would leave sediment in the bottom of the cup even if I used about a third of a paint cup and sprayed it through within 15mins. The Payne’s Grey didn’t have sediment, but would start coming out very blue towards the bottom of the cup.

what kinda sediments? Like darker pigments or like trans base like on my picture?

To be honest I should have taken a photo and sent it to Createx. When I had an issue with a bottle of 4030, they sent a replacement free of charge straight away.

I sprayed jet black on id card. I am waiting for a day, right now it's night at my place so I can make photos when sun shines on cards. I notice the difference, but my lights right now are 4000k neutral white. Need to get 5500k. So lightning has it's own problems. When light hits straight on top of cards there is no difference, but if it hits under the angle there is a big difference. I will put them on the sun and try to make few good photos with my crapy cell phone.

Back