Wicked detail and 4004 trans base.

Power581

Needle-chuck Ninja
I have searched all over to figure this out and can find nothing.
Do t know if it is me (most likely)lol or my paint (I doubt).
I just started to use wicked paint, finally got some wicked detail. Well the problem I have is I also got some 4004 trans base to use with it. I have only tried to mix it in twice once in yellow and the second time in blue. Both times it clogged my airbrush. The first time I though it was just a dirty airbrush so I took it apart and cleaned it. The second time I mixed it in a separate cup and poured it into the airbrush. I did not notice the chunkies until it was too late. Even after filtering the paint it would still form little balls in the airbrush cup.
My question is are both these comparable? Did I just mix them wrong or could it be bad trans base? I have no problems painting with the reduced colours only when I mix the trans base.
Thanks for the help.

think of 4004 transbase as just pigmentless paint, it will not reduce the viscosity of the paint at all, that's what 4012 HP reducer is for.
I have an empty bottle that I mix 50:50 transbase and reducer in. (MacD suggested it awhile back and it works for me, I just tweak further if needed)
wicked needs to be reduced (4012) anywhere between 20- 50% depending on the needle size and psi you are using.

Trans base is normally used to make a colour more transparent while retaining the viscosity.
as for the chunks it may be a case of contacting Createx and see if there was a bad batch go out, or they may be able to offer a reason for the clumping. Is there any chance the Trans base has been exposed to temperature extremes ?

think of 4004 transbase as just pigmentless paint, it will not reduce the viscosity of the paint at all, that's what 4012 HP reducer is for.
I have an empty bottle that I mix 50:50 transbase and reducer in. (MacD suggested it awhile back and it works for me, I just tweak further if needed)
wicked needs to be reduced (4012) anywhere between 20- 50% depending on the needle size and psi you are using.

Trans base is normally used to make a colour more transparent while retaining the viscosity.
as for the chunks it may be a case of contacting Createx and see if there was a bad batch go out, or they may be able to offer a reason for the clumping. Is there any chance the Trans base has been exposed to temperature extremes ?
Ok so it is not me.
I don't think it has. I only just got it from maple airbrush. Like I said the first time I used it I thought it was the airbrush then I thought it was me doing something wrong. I will give it another try, it may still be something that I am doing. Who knows I may not have had it mixed up enough. I will keep practicing and see if I can figure it out. I am just glad that it is not me trying to mix two things together that are not supposed to be mixed. Like ammonia and sulphuric acid. Long story there and the reason I am bald lol:thumbsdown:

just for your peace of mind, this is direct from the createx website

4004 Transparent Base is the colorless resin base to Wicked Colors and Auto Air Colors.
5090 Illustration transparent base is designed for use with Createx illustration and bloodline

have you tried letting the paint and base 'brew' for 10 minutes and see if that helps, in a separate container maybe so you don't have to clean the brush for no reason
maybe Donna @Maple Art can shed some light on this, she may have other customers with similar issues

Ammonia and sulphuric hey ? sounds interesting but you're lucky it only took your hair !! :D

Have you been using reducer ?

lets get a little scientific about this :D (no ammonia or acid involved)

in a separate bottle / container.... just a few drops will do the job.

mix the yellow with reducer.......wait 10 minutes..... do you get the balling happening
mix the blue with reducer...... wait 10 minutes..... do you get the balling happening ?

try with a different colour if you have any (black or white) do you get balling?

if there is no balling so far just add a little trans base a little at a time.... lets see what happens

Maybe it's not compatible with the detail line? You listed a different part number for detail trans base?

I would go for a mixture of 1 drop of paint : 4 or 5 drops of reducer as a starter mix, this is a nice consistency but might need to be reduced further depending on the ab. I have wicked jet black reduced 1:25 and it flows lovely although you have to do a few layers to get to full opacity. Like its been said already, let the paint mix with the 4012 for 10 minutes or so, it really helps as the paint sort of melts into the reducer eliminating possible clumps. Also make sure its mixed well and i always strain it to double make sure.

Lee

Wicked was originally developed as a T-Shirt paint with ability to crossover as a automotive tag paint. Most shirt artist used it straight out of the bottle with a .5mm needle. The Trans Base is just to make the paint more transparent since Wicked is a semi opaque paint. Wicked detail is the transparent line. I alway struggled with the detail line when it came to cobalt blue and burnt umber. They always seemed to clog my brush almost immediately. I always gravitated to Wicked and just reduced the paint. I normally reduced with water, but in retrospect I should have used the proper reducer. Now I use E'Tac PS for my shirts. I have not used the 4040 myself since I mostly used straight out the bottle with my Eclipse HP-BCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

The trans base may be temp damaged as JackEb said. I have had this happen with Moss green.

Just to be sure - you are not reducing with water right? Or cleaning the gun with water and leaving a little behind? Water and Wicked don't play nice.

If the paints sprays well on its own, and with reducer, then your trans base is likely to blame.

We are gonna have to start really proof reading our replies since Createx has started creating product that are very very similar in description and part number.. example... 4004 and 4040 Both are gonna be on the market at the same time and both have been marketed as Candy2O bleed sealers. Almost wish there was a unified system. Not 6-7 different lines from the same company.

We are gonna have to start really proof reading our replies since Createx has started creating product that are very very similar in description and part number.. example... 4004 and 4040 Both are gonna be on the market at the same time and both have been marketed as Candy2O bleed sealers. Almost wish there was a unified system. Not 6-7 different lines from the same company.

I have mentioned this confusion to someone I was talking to at Coast. I also pointed out that they referred to one of the products I was asking them about as 404 lol, Could have been either of them lol.

This may not help, but today I was painting with CI and having a horrible time getting it to flow at all. So I used some 4011 in with it at the suggestion of Denis at Createx only because I didn't want my cross link window shortened by using 4012. At first I struggled even with that. I was interrupted for about 15 minutes and started painting again and the paint flowed way better. Letting it sit did the trick. It maybe just like the others said do a combo of reducer and base with a color and let it sit. Always seemed peculiar to me that a water based paint couldn't be reduced with water. My earlier post wasn't to change the subject, but to bring in some other school of thought that might spark a enlightenment moment.

EDITED..... Always seemed peculiar to me that a water based paint couldn't be reduced with water.

Although the createx/auto air range are commonly referred to as water based they are not. They are waterborne

Water based and waterborne paint aren’t the same thing,

Anything water based can be dissolved in water, which definitely isn’t the case for water borne paint.
Waterborne paints still contain solvents, just to a lesser degree than solvent based paints.
When the water borne paint is applied and dries, the water evaporates, then the solvents evaporate, and the finish particles combine and form a single layer of paint.

Although the createx/auto air range are commonly referred to as water based they are not. They are waterborne

Water based and waterborne paint aren’t the same thing,

Anything water based can be dissolved in water, which definitely isn’t the case for water borne paint.
Waterborne paints still contain solvents, just to a lesser degree than solvent based paints.
When the water borne paint is applied and dries, the water evaporates, then the solvents evaporate, and the finish particles combine and form a single layer of paint.
Yes I do realize that fact, but t when I first searched out Wicked years ago it was listed as a water based and the only water borne was Auto-Borne Paints. Now I only see their sealer.

Silly question, but why are you trying to make the paint even more transparent?

Have you been using reducer ?

lets get a little scientific about this :D (no ammonia or acid involved)

in a separate bottle / container.... just a few drops will do the job.

mix the yellow with reducer.......wait 10 minutes..... do you get the balling happening
mix the blue with reducer...... wait 10 minutes..... do you get the balling happening ?

try with a different colour if you have any (black or white) do you get balling?

if there is no balling so far just add a little trans base a little at a time.... lets see what happens
I use the reducer and no issues it only happens when I use the trans base. I will try what was mentioned and let it brew and see what happens. But it will probably have to wate until I am off work next week, as long as the wife does not have too many jobs for me to do.

The trans base may be temp damaged as JackEb said. I have had this happen with Moss green.

Just to be sure - you are not reducing with water right? Or cleaning the gun with water and leaving a little behind? Water and Wicked don't play nice.

If the paints sprays well on its own, and with reducer, then your trans base is likely to blame.
Not using water. Only reducing with the proper reducer. The only time I use water is a little to flush it out after cleaning when I am done for the day then a good drying before I put it away.

Yes I do realize that fact, but t when I first searched out Wicked years ago it was listed as a water based and the only water borne was Auto-Borne Paints. Now I only see their sealer.

Silly question, but why are you trying to make the paint even more transparent?

Just trying things to see what I can do.
Actually I thought that the wicked detail was the more opaque and the normal wicked paint was the transparent. Live and learn. Though I just got my order of Candy 2O in so I will be playing with that next week too. :D Going to be a busy week. I just know I am going to have a three page honey do list though:sour:

Back