Wicked how smooth?

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Ok, so i think I know the answer to this but just want to double check. Is there any way to make wicked by itself produce a smooth shiny finish?
I've tried lots of methods and spray tactics, the best i can get it to come out is maybe about like a factory car paint job, but with a bit less shine, though it is like a semi gloss/gloss.
So am I correct here in assuming that It's simply not going to level out to glass like a good enamel?

I know it needs a clear to have any kind of durability anyhow, and I can get a great finish with clear. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some method or somehow spraying it wrong.

What about auto air? Will it self level any?

I imagine neither can be sprayed to a super smooth finish since they are intended to be like base coats anyhow.

On a side note the testors aztek can be sprayed out as smooth as a urethane base coat and has the same kind of matte look to it.

Last edited:
Which brings up another question, Createx's latest color guide says both wicked and wicked detail are transparents but that wicked is a trans with a high pigment load. Did they change something? or do we just find it easier to call them opaques?

If that's the case you will need to add some white to make it Opaque, sorry if teaching you to suck eggs

If that's the case you will need to add some white to make it Opaque, sorry if teaching you to suck eggs
I don't know, i'm used to spraying pretty much everything except these paints.
Are you saying the opaques will self level to a wet look?

Wicked Colors are transparent. They will dry to a satin type finish (more satin then semi-gloss in my experience) . Wicked detail colors are also a "transparent" but they have a finer grind pigment and will dry to more of a "flat" finish. Colors or Detail will not dry to a gloss/wet look you will need to use a clear coat (as mentioned). Wicked/Auto Air will self level to a point depends on how "wet" you are spraying it. On a side note , if you have 4040 - Bleed checker it will dry to a gloss finish and can be buffed check out Craig Frasers Face Book page he recently did a quick video on buffing 4040

Wicked Colors are transparent. They will dry to a satin type finish (more satin then semi-gloss in my experience) . Wicked detail colors are also a "transparent" but they have a finer grind pigment and will dry to more of a "flat" finish. Colors or Detail will not dry to a gloss/wet look you will need to use a clear coat (as mentioned). Wicked/Auto Air will self level to a point depends on how "wet" you are spraying it. On a side note , if you have 4040 - Bleed checker it will dry to a gloss finish and can be buffed check out Craig Frasers Face Book page he recently did a quick video on buffing 4040
Thank you for the Info! I just wanted to be sure.
I guess I would say it kind of looks like a well sprayed single stage urethane that hasn't been sanded or buffed.
Like satiny semi-gloss, with like a micro orange peel if you were to look at it with a magnifying glass.
Just wanted to be sure I couldn't somehow spray it smoother.

When spraying large areas (vehicles) I use the Auto Air Colors Professional Automotive Reducer with a full size or mini spray gun. That reducer makes a huge difference vs. the High Performance Reducer as far as flow out is concerned.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe mix clear into paint for last layers to build gloss? I don't know, the gloss clear didn't impress me straight out the bottle or reduced. Maybe it's better mixed with paint. The 4030 or the new bleed check may be an option mixed in also. So many experiments, so little time.....

Its not even the gloss i'm aiming for really, just trying to get the smoothest sprayout I can.
But yeah I'll have to experiment a bit more.

So you want better flow I think, the 4030 is pretty good with candy. You should try 4030+4020 in the mix. It may work well for you.
That's my thought, though if just the 4020 works as well for me as it seems to for wickedart, then I probably won't worry about the 4030. It'll all get cleared anyhow.
Createx does claim the 4030 imroves spray characteristics though. So that may well be a help.

I'm just considering going auto-air for all my basecoating. I just have to figure out if i can make it work as well as the urethanes I use.
4020 may well be the key. Since humidity is pretty much always high in my neck of the woods.

If I could get Aztek by the gallon It would be my current choice. It's almost hard to tell the difference between spraying it and spraying a urethane basecoat, Other than the windex smell lol

Last edited:
Back