Wicked paints

I

Iron Trooper

I recently have started airbrushing and have bought some different brands of paint and this far my favorite is createx wicked and auto air. Im looking to get some more candy water based paint and was wondering if there is a major difference between auto airs candy pigment and candy 2o. I have some of the auto air candy pigment and wanted to know if candy 2o is worth a upgrade. Also would like to know how to make my own water based candy paint with ink or dye. Any help would be much appreciated i am new to airbrushing but i love it.

Welcome to the forum , Yes the candy 2.0 is a lot better as its a brighter candy color more like a real candy paint.If you haven't already done so please go to the intro section and tell us a little about yourself as it helps us answer your questions better Thanks

I have used both and the New 2O is the bomb. If you were to put the old pigment based candy over black, it tints the black the color of candy being used. The new is a dye based and will absorb into the black, keeping it black with no tinting...
I did some tests....The first pic is the pigment type. You can see how the black turned red. The helmet is the Candy 2O and you can see that the black is still black...
IMG-20140720-02359.jpg IMG_1247.JPG

I now use the old pigment type as a transparent paint when painting...
Hope this helps...

The Candy2O is dye based and much better than the original candies which are pigment based. Give one a try, they re not too expensive.

Lee

They are worlds apart. The candy20 is a true analine dye. You must use the 4030 additive, and I recommend using more than the recommended amount as I find it helps with drying.

That all of you for the help. Looks like ill be ordering some soon.

The candy 2o is still water based and safe to use indoors without a booth correct??

What other brands of water base paints would you guys recommend?

What other brands of water base paints would you guys recommend?
Do you have a Hobby Lobby close by? They now carry the CandyO2 which is water based they also carry the intercoat clear and even the automotive reducer for it.
The pigment candy that autoair use to make (now all has been replaced with candy O2) was more like a really watered down transparent.
The New CandyO2 is almost the same as the urethane candies.

As everyone said, the difference is night and day, but be sure to get the 4012 reducer and DEFINITELY get the 4030 Intercoat!!!!! Will keep the dies from bleeding back through your top layers! The 4030 is also great as an adhesion promoter and you can also mix it with any wicked color to make it MUCH more durable!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFINITELY get the 4030 Intercoat!!!!! Will keep the dies from bleeding back through your top layers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been advised by Createx not to use the 4030 intercoat (now called an additive) because it does not stop bleed through. You use the 4030 in your candy2o mix. They advise the use of a trans base to seal the candy as a barrier before painting over top.
Cheers

It has been advised by Createx not to use the 4030 intercoat (now called an additive) because it does not stop bleed through. You use the 4030 in your candy2o mix. They advise the use of a trans base to seal the candy as a barrier before painting over top.
Cheers
Things change quickly when 'real world' tests start.
4030 was originally marketed as an intercoat but now (due to the candys bleeding through) its an additive to you paint which aids in adhesion and curing harder than paint alone.
Try autobourne transparent sealer (6000?) to stop the bleed. Save your transbase for making your paint more translucent

Thank you everyone for all the good info. What would he a good gloss clear coat to use for water based paint?

Createx or autoborne do 2 top coats, gloss and matte. For artwork and crafts only, not for automotive

Cheers

Great info, much appreciated!! I do see where its been changed to just an additive! Thanks for the heads up!

Finally got to play around with the candy 2o....awesome stuff. There is one more thing i need help on. What would be the best kind of black paper to paint with. I have tried cheap black poster board and it works alright . I was wondering if there is anything better quality i could buy online. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Finally got to play around with the candy 2o....awesome stuff. There is one more thing i need help on. What would be the best kind of black paper to paint with. I have tried cheap black poster board and it works alright . I was wondering if there is anything better quality i could buy online. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Hello there
I like to use black foam board that I buy from the dollar store. It's thick, surface is just like Bristol, but has a foam core and is cheap. But Strathmore makes a nice black Bristol as well.
But to get the full effect from the Candy20, you should clear it. Clearing on paper will cause it to "buckle" though ( just a friendly heads up). I've cleared on the black foam board before and have gotten less then stellar results ( some sort of chemical reaction happened shortly after, I'm assuming it's the ph). Anyways it's good for practice.Heres a couple of pics on the foam board before the reaction.
image.jpeg
After reaction
image.jpeg

Hello there
Anyways it's good for practice.Heres a couple of pics on the foam board before the reaction.

What clear did you use? I'm still experimenting, but I'm having terrible luck with anything from a can eating into my white highlights. You can see your whites take a massive pounding in the cleared photo.

Back