Wicked tricks

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
So what's the trick with Wicked? My set came with the new reducer. I'm only played with a 1:1 mix ratio with not so good results and then reduced that a bit more with distilled water with better spraying results but very transparent. Pressure was about 15psi and airbrush was .35 Eclipse.

What are you trying to do with it Andre... what I mean is although I use it wicked isa finicky paint and one day it can work well the next day not so much. I don't think I ever reduce below 4 part reducer. ... instead I aim for 8 or 10 part reducer. ... in my experience I have found it to be quite heavily pigmented though so 8 part reducer still maintains a reasonable coverage while flowing pretty well. ...10 to 15 psi sounds about right with my reduction ratio

Just trying to do my general pieces on Schoellershammer. SO I need more reducer. Will give it a bash. Stupid of them to give such a small bottle of reducer if it needs to be enough to cover 5 colours.

Mind you Andre for me that's spraying through a 0.2 so you may get away witha little thicker ratio. .. however thicker it is the more tip dry. .. wicked tip dry!!! Shame you can't get Etac out there? Have you spoken to pete to see if he could ship it over??? Get a bit ofa bulk buy??

Ad, eventually I would like to shoot it though my Micron. First need to get to know it. I have a set of Marissa's paint which is Etac and it is very good. And just the smell transports me back to her studio. But I got the Wicked for a crazy price so I would like to try it. Com-art is still my favourite but that is just because I know it so well.

when you mix your wicked down, try adding trans base as well as reducer, also let it stand a short time, its seems to like to 'infuse'....trans base is magic at getting you to trans & glaze level as its keeping the viscosity the same & you are only using the reducer (w100/4011/4012) to thin it for needle nozzle size & distance !

Createx reducers are all the same (other than the 4012 HP reducer), as are all the trans bases...use any in any range.

hope that helps

Thanks pete. .. alot of discussion goes on here about the different reducers and benefits so it's good to know most are interchangeable

I got the W500 with my Primary set and I was disappointed to say the least I tried for 2 days with it reducing it in every way I could think and all i got after 40 seconds way tip dry and I even shot it through both my Kromes at about 15psi and all the way upto 35psi and nothing so I thought sod it I'll go back to using my homemade reducer and it was ruddy great I have used the Jason Jones recipe since I started ABing and it's been ok with Createx and the old pain in one backside with the white lol, but with the Wicked it was a ruddy revelation and it's cost very little to make and you never run out I would definitely give it a whirl it only costs a few quid and it gives you loads ;)

I told a friend about it he gave it a whirl and he's still using it now he went back from W500 to 4011 because it was such a pain he told me out of a full cup on one of his Iwata's he would normally pick the tip 40 to 50 times and when he shot Wicked with the Jason Jones recipe he only had to pick his needle once......Sorry rant over lol hope it helps ;) but try if you do to get Glycerin that is as close to 100% as it's what I use so you should get the same results but just add an extra drop or 2 depending on how much you make ;)

Just trying to do my general pieces on Schoellershammer. SO I need more reducer. Will give it a bash. Stupid of them to give such a small bottle of reducer if it needs to be enough to cover 5 colours.

Last edited:
Yes Matt, I use the same homemade reducer from Jason jones and so far have had no problems yet. I am using Valejo, Spectra-tek, and getting some Wicked soon.

You'll love it with the Wicked Shadow2462 I have only used Createx and now just started with the Wicked so your in for some fun try the W500 and then use the JJ , you just go on and on with it lol I haven't used the Spectra-tex yet but but I did see the post by Mitch saying how well it flowed and Mr Micron was the man who recommended Createx and it's been great ;) And eenasha sent me some as well as I hadn't managed to get any paint at that time when she gifted me her VL and i haven't looked back haha ;) both Mr Micron and eenasha have been a wonderful help when i was trying to get started ;)

Yes Matt, I use the same homemade reducer from Jason jones and so far have had no problems yet. I am using Valejo, Spectra-tek, and getting some Wicked soon.

hey andre your not the only one that struggles with wicked, I do as well but I mostly spray uros so might be why will prolly never get the same spray as a uro

With Wicked detail, I rarely use more than a 20%-ish reduction (4 parts paint, 1 reducer), with a maximum of about a 50% reduction (2 parts paint, 1 reducer). It IS a somewhat temperamental paint, but, being made by Createx, that's not entirely suprising. Anyone who has tried to spray the original Auto Air can attest to that. I've tried several reducer combinations, alterations, and options. I've found that using the W500 straight is the easiest way to go. I pre-reduce my Wicked slightly to avoid the "cook time", but it works best if you let it soak into the paint for a few minutes before shooting. Also, adding a bit of E'Tac Condition-air can help take a bit of that temper out of the Wicked (glycerin works, too, just not nearly as well). I've sprayed the Wicked detail with no reducer through microns, infinity's, etc with no major issues. But, it does work easier with a bit of reducer.

Thanks all. I think it is ridiculous that you have to leave the paint to "mature" before you use it. How much longer does it take to do a picture. I don't know which colour I 'll be using next and if I'm gonna use it in 10 minutes or 10 hours. My type of work I use 2-5 drops of paint. How much of that will be left if I have to leave it to sort it self out. I will try some more but so far I don't see good things. That is why my classic Createx that I bought 2 years ago has hardly been touched.

I love wicked and reduce 1 drop paint to four reducer, but am using an hp-cs with 3mm needle so you will probably want thinner than that. I get a great flow at around 20 psi give or take depending on conditions. It does get some tip dry but nothing major (I don't find any difference between the W100 and W500 reducer in this regard, although the W500 is better in every other way). I don't have the patience to let it "mature" and just mix and go. I guess it's just what you're used to, but I love it. I do find the detail colours in particular need straining, but I filter everything anyway so no biggie.

i was going to agree with fez and suggest com art as well its my favorite next to etac i love those guys at etac i placed an order yesterday afternoon ant itl be here tomorow andre is it me or does the micron realy seem to like the com art reds ?i can shoot a line so fine wuirth them i cant see it lol gota use a loop over my camera lense to take a pic

i was going to agree with fez and suggest com art as well its my favorite next to etac i love those guys at etac i placed an order yesterday afternoon ant itl be here tomorow andre is it me or does the micron realy seem to like the com art reds ?i can shoot a line so fine wuirth them i cant see it lol gota use a loop over my camera lense to take a pic

Ferret, I've never tried a clead red, I always mix it. It love payne's grey and smoke as well.

As far as the paint itself, E'Tac puts Wicked to shame, no matter what you're using for reducer. But, I like the Wicked detail lines color palate better than the E'Tac palate. I use both, often on the same project. If I was forced to choose one or the other, well, I'd have a difficult time of it. But, Bill and the rest of the E'Tac team really set a whole new standard for customer service. But, back to Wicked- the "cook" time thing with the reducer applies much more to the W-100 reducer than the W-500. But, it can be pretty well avoided completely by pre-reducing the paint a bit. Once I get a bit of space in a new bottle, I'll put some reducer in (maybe a 10% reduction? I have no clue, but it isn't much). That way, if/when you add more reducer, it's already "soaked in", so once you have it mixed good, you're set to go. Personally, I've found that with Wicked, especially with the W-100 reducer, the more you reduce it, the more finicky the paint gets, and the more problems I run into. But, I'm also a bit of an odd duck in that I don't like my paint too thin, and I prefer higher pigment levels. Com-art is too runny and too diluted straight from the bottle for my taste. E'Tac EFX straight from the bottle is juuuust about right to me.

boy, I thought it was just my Krome that was acting up. I tried using Paynes Grey through my Krome yesterday and I could not get a decent line out of it. Now, I can rest easy....

Thanks all. I think it is ridiculous that you have to leave the paint to "mature" before you use it.
Ain't that the truth. If I can't just load a colour and go, then forget it I'll switch to something more fun - probably Comart by the overall sounds of it.
The W100 reducer is better for fine detail, but there is still a requirement for frequent tip cleaning.
The only reason I've stuck with Wicked and AA is that it's available where I'm at - and it dose not trigger my asthma.
Took me 2 years to figure out a way of dealing with it.

Andrea, you didn't mention if you are using Wicked Base colours, or Wicked Detail colours.
The reason I bring it up is because the names are arse about.
The Base colours are good for detail, and the 'Detail' colours are transparents - which suck balls for fine detail, but have good transparency.
Odd that they didn't pick names that make it easier to understand, but there you go.

I got the W500 with my Primary set and I was disappointed to say the least
Yup. I could always pour window cleaner into my paint if I wanted to too.
It's a straight up response to Trident entering the market. Same stench, same requirement to wear a full cartridge mask rather than a P2, same unbelievably crappy detail capabilities.
I'll give it it's dues, it performs quite well for large and medium large. As such, it might be a good choice for novice artists.

Jason Jones recipe
Now, that's interesting.
Can anyone direct me to information re: that?

Back