For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Will I be concidered a "Newbie"?

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by kronek67, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kronek67

kronek67 Spider Splatterer

I'm finally ready to get serious about airbrushing. If things work out, I'll have my new airbrush the end of January. I'm not doing any painting until then. I'm interested in participating in these challenges and see that some are for newbies. I read the definition of less than 9 months but I don't know if I fall under that. I have been playing with an airbrush since 2011, but that's it, playing. I was doing stencil airbrush tattoos at small local events, but that is easy. I can show anyone how to do stencil airbrush tattoos in 5 minutes. I never really got into it and I'm currently horrible with an airbrush. I have been on and off with the airbrush since 2011. In 2013, after 15 years of not drawing anything, I started learning to draw again to help me improve as an airbrush artist. I was amazed at how fast I progressed with my art. However, due to different reasons, that has been on and off as well. But I'm ready now. I'll be drawing over the next month, using the same techniques taught by the Airbrush Tutor, except on my tablet. Then I will switch to the new airbrush and start at the beginning with dots and lines. I'll be using the Ultimate Airbrush Control program from Airbrush Tutor, along with his other step by step programs. In May , I'll be at the Orlando Getaway for Achieving Photorealism with Dru Blair and Melanie Alexander. I have put it off long enough and tired of wasting the talent I did not know I had. To give you an idea of my airbrush and artist ability, here are some pics.

Here is my typical painting done in 2013 before I started drawing.
    Skull & Flowers Final.JPG

This is the best I have ever painted with an airbrush. I did a little practice first.
    Palmetto Moonshine.JPG

Here is where I'm at artistically. It is not finished but the eyes show where I'm at. This was drawn on my phone with a 4.5" screen. I'm trying to transfer it to my tablet to finish.
    Current Portrait.png Portrait Eye.png

I have played with airbrushing for awhile, but I still consider myself a newbie, seeing how I have never got serious about it or did anything any good. I just wanted to know if I fall under the newbie category for the competitions. Does not bother me either way, because I know that once I get the new airbrush and get serious about my practice, I will improve dramatically very fast. I just have to let it out.

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right place. Since it is concerning the challenges, I thought that it would be a good place. If not, let me know and I'll try to move it.
  2. Kasey24

Kasey24 Needle-chuck Ninja

I like the canvas you chose for the first picture. As far as if you are considered a newbie or not, I'm sure one of the moderators will be along shortly to let you know. Welcome from Philly! Go to the introduction section and introduce yourself as well, we are all very nosy so we need to know everything about you.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Hi Kronek,

I see you posted on the 'race for the face' challenge. That particular one started off as friendly rivalry between a couple of guys and was opened up to all newbies for a bit of fun and encouragement. (I think maybe it's time we had another one!) In that instance we set the newbie period as being 9 months or less. It's tricky because you could spend every waking hour of 9 months airbrushing and have more experience than someone who first picked up a brush years before, but we had to cap it somewhere. I think those taking part, gave the ok to a couple of people who had technically picked up an airbrush a little bit before that period, but had not spent much time ABing, and as it was just a friendly comp the other people participating were fine with it. If we did something similar, I personally would say that you had more experience than the people who took part in that particular challenge, and while you had not maybe 9 months experience over all time wise, some of those that took part had literally just picked up an AB, and that your time limit was more than a little beyond 9 months, but we are a friendly bunch and I would go along with the majority.

Usually our challenges and competitions are open to all, and newbies are encouraged to take part. Understandably it can sometimes seem a bit intimidating, for a newbie, or someone with relatively little experience, who thinks they won't have the skills or techniques, but often have incredible, ideas, concepts or unusual views on things, and usually amaze themselves and everyone else with what they can achieve. So please take part in anything that you see going on, on the forum :)
  4. kronek67

I'm not new to the Forum. I have a very long introduction somewhere. I had just not been on here in a while. I'm just tired of putting it off and ready to get serious. Too many things came up last time.
  5. kronek67

I would say that I have less than a month of total experience, but that goes way beyond 9 months. I was kind of looking at it like swimming. Just because you got in the water several years ago, does not mean you know how to swim today. Where someone who has been learning to swim for a month can. Based on how fast I progressed when I started drawing again, I know it will not take long for me to be far beyond a newbie in skill. That is one reason that I asked. Once I get serious, I don't think it would be fair to list myself as a newbie. Right now, I just need a good airbrush and learn to control it properly. I may enter in the challenges, but pull my name from the running so to speak. Use the challenge to push myself and show what I can do, but not be considered as a contestant. I could even post mine separately. I'm just excited to be back to drawing and look forward to what I can do with a good airbrush.
  6. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Pick a photo reference that will challenge you and I mean challenge you and pm it to me.
    If I think it will not only challenge you but a lot of the others New folks I will start a new years challenge .
    No prize just bragging rights mind you cause you know we are all starving artist on here LOL. That is why I still work both my day jobs:D
  7. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

@Mr.Micron if you are looking for a nice reference for a contest I might have one (nice light/darks, skin texture, highlights, out of focus parts etc). Considered using it for lessons purpose but thought it might be a tad too much so it will certainly be a challange :p

Edit: I should probably have made that a PM, sorry about the highjack
    Mr.Micron likes this.
  8. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

Sounds like your New Years resolution is to make a newbie's head explode. ;)
  9. kronek67

Well, I said I wanted to get serious about learning to airbrush and looks like you are going to push me. I'm going to see about ordering my new airbrush on Friday. That way, depending on the length of the contest, I should be able to get it, do a little practice and paint in time..

To be honest, anything that is not 90% stencil will challenge me with an airbrush. Instead, I found something that will challenge me artistically as well. With an airbrush, the picture I found seams almost impossible with the lack of airbrush control I have. I'll PM it to you shortly. I'm also curious what haasje has as well.
  10. kronek67

LOL, yes, that can be an interesting canvas, but you can't scratch it with a razor blade for highlights.
  11. Mr.Micron

Send it to me , This will be for newbies but hey that is why it is a challenge:D
  12. Mr.Micron

Nothing like watching brains popping for new years , Almost better then fire works...LOL
  13. Heliotropic

Heliotropic Needle-chuck Ninja

Now my attention is piqued.
  14. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Don't worry about your status. Everybody was a beginner at some point and you feel like you never get past the "newbie" stage. If you paint anything out of your comfort zone, you are a "newbie". You're a pro when you can do anything.
    Anneliesje likes this.
  15. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Hey kronek, looks like this has kicked off a new challenge, so thanks for bringing this up! And the rules have been tweaked a bit, so looks like you're in! Can't wait to see what you and all the other guys do!!!!
  16. Mr.Micron

He best through his name in the ring being he was the one who got this ball rolling...LOL
    Squishy likes this.
  17. kronek67

I'm not worried about a status. I was more asking because of the newbie challenges and did not know if I qualified. I think I answered my own question earlier though. I'll probably do the newbie challenges and just not enter as a contestant.
  18. kronek67

I'm going to sign up now. Now I just need a decent airbrush LOL.
  19. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

Status to me is just a word and only a word, I have been painting now for a little over a year now and I STILL consider myself a "newbie" and honestly I probably will still consider myself to be a newbie no matter how long I have been painting because we are learning something new all the time such as different paints, new techniques or even an old method, different styles, ect. but I think you get the point. So what I am trying to say is forget about what "level" of an artist you are... your end product will tell others if your new or a pro, and some have the gift of talent and others have to learn it but either way it is about YOU and if you are ok with where you are at great and if not then we have this great school right here in the forum. Ok, Ok, ill shut up now lol.
  20. kronek67

What I meant to ask is if I would be considered a newbie for the purposes of the newbie competitions and challenges. I think I have it figured out though. Mr. Micron decided to push me before I was planning on it myself.