Will this bristol work?

J

jaystacy

Tried to post pic but on cell and pic is to big. So here is what it says.

Strathmore
smooth bristol
270g/m2 (100 lb)
300 series/better

Recommended for pen and ink

Only asking cause hobby lobby selection here is sparce

Depends on what you want to do. You can paint on a rock if it fits your brief. If you are not going to scratch it, it will work 100%. I'm sure you can erase on it.

Was going to say anything will work, you just need to adjust your methods to suit the material, if you cant scratch it, try and preserve your white areas, liquid mask or shields etc.

That is what i used for a long time. Even painted one of my paintpals on it this go around. No it does not scratch well, but it does erase.

Right now I'm a complete beginner. I tried poster board and inkjet paper. Noticed the poster board didn't absorb much and paint tried to run. Inkjet paper was to thin. I am trying to find a good medium to learn on scratch and erase not worried about yet. Wanted something that won't warp easy but will provide a nice smooth surface without running the paint. Thanks for info. I know I'll be looking for specialty paper once I learn my gun and paints.

Not absorbing is a good thing, keeps lines atc nice and sharp, no fuzzy edges. If the paint looks like it wants to run then try thinning the paint more so you can lower the pressure. This will give you more control too, you may just have to make more passes to get the colour density you want. Also keep the brush moving so paint isn't getting the chance to build up too much which will make it run, or even spider. :)

Right now I'm a complete beginner. I tried poster board and inkjet paper. Noticed the poster board didn't absorb much and paint tried to run. Inkjet paper was to thin. I am trying to find a good medium to learn on scratch and erase not worried about yet. Wanted something that won't warp easy but will provide a nice smooth surface without running the paint. Thanks for info. I know I'll be looking for specialty paper once I learn my gun and paints.
If you want to learn scratch and erase, get a piece of the white backing board from a wardrobe or alike, you will need to be light touch on this but it will also teach you to spray thin layers as going to quick will result in spiders and runs as squishy said.

I use Bristol, that sounds like what I use. It's nice to paint on but can be a bit soft for scratching on... refer to a previous discussion on the boards. I prime mine with gesso but as quite rightly pointed out if you are going to do that you might as well use a cheaper paper.

Well this one wasn't to bad. 15 bucks for 20 sheets. I play on random paper alot but wanted something much nicer if I want to try and do a art piece.

There is poster board with a waxy coating that is very hard to paint on, and posterboard thats very similiar to bristol. The stuff thats like bristol is not bad. This was done on posterboard at 5x7
20150713_235917.jpg