Windex... really?

It just struck me as odd that the paint manufacturer, Createx, would actually say to use Windex as a re wetting agent in its literature. I intend on using the Createx Illustraion paint reducer and cleaner but keep seeing windex mentioned. What exactly is in Windex that makes it so special? As far as atomizing the stuff don't we do that when we wash windows with the spray bottle anyway?

Thanks,
D.

@Madbrush I was taking the mick mate, I was using a modded trigger anyway but just wanted the new look and a better finished piece. If I had to buy it in England I wouldn't of, I would have just put up with what I had. It would of cost £75 to buy the trigger here compared to £28 in Holland. With the saving I made buying my nozzle, needle £7 together then £1.80 on each bottle of paint I bought, that trigger actually cost me £16 which I was happy to pay and I actually think it does give me a better control. But as you say it's horses for courses.

I know you was;) but seriously I wouldn't tell everyone else not to do what makes happy or works better for them, it's just that from my own point of view it doesn't make sense to throw money at something I already struggle with, I could easily make some modifications myself like others have but I have two beautiful brushes and I don't wish to make them look ugly with pieces of chewing gum and all sorts, when I need an ugly brush I'll buy a paasch, lol

in a way you are so right :) , I worked with stock microns for years , only all trigger springs where changed at zero costs back in those days ;) and I would still work with them if the V2 version was just a little better for me to work with ;)
Now I hear you think : didnt that guy bought that fancy tricked out and pimped micron ?? yes I did but do I need it? the answer has to be a honest NO , is it easier to work with ? oh yes it is ! was it worth that big price tag? in short : yes to me it was worth every cent and more ;)

For the first time in over five years Ronald things are going well for me financially, but having had to sit in the crap for all of those years has taught me the real value of money, I have learned not to simply throw it away on unnecessary stuff, but if I had it to spend I would certainly have bought or attempted to buy the pimped Micron but for the time being I just have to take the sensible approach and be happy with what I have, I just recently dropped my Micron and damaged both the needle and the nozzle, I can afford to buy new ones right now but since I have a course coming up with Marissa I've decided to wait till after that, instead I intend to put a whole new front end on my HP-BH+ only because I was sold fake parts the last time I did that, I now know where to but my stuff, or more importantly where not to buy it;) it's a simple case of being careful how and when I distribute the funds I have available, the general plan is to have both brushes working as they should by the time I done with the course and I expect to buy a load of stuff while I'm there too, possibly even the V2 side feed, and that one is not because I need it but just a gift to myself for carrying out my plan to the letter.

And you deserve that fancy brush whether you need it or not, I'm glad you have it just because you are a testament of courage and never giving up, a lesson for everyone who ever thought about giving up:thumbsup:

I'll have a v2 aswel mate if she does a Bogof offer at the time of your course:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It just struck me as odd that the paint manufacturer, Createx, would actually say to use Windex as a re wetting agent in its literature. I intend on using the Createx Illustraion paint reducer and cleaner but keep seeing windex mentioned. What exactly is in Windex that makes it so special? As far as atomizing the stuff don't we do that when we wash windows with the spray bottle anyway?

Thanks,
D.

Your airbrush will produce a far finer more dangerous mist, and if you clean your windows at home you won't be doing that for hours on end every day, and no matter what those dumplings at createx say, any thing that has ability to "re-wet" also has the ability to affect drying time or stop it altogether if you use too much of it, it would also have the ability to cause your paints to lose stability, by that I mean abuse of it could mean you could wipe the paint off with your finger, the truth of the matter is the more I hear about windex, the more determined I am to stay away from it, but I also stay away form createx;)

Windex has 2 things in it as was pointed out by the msds.(two things that break down paint)
Butoxyethanol
Isopropyl alchohol.

I dont hate windex, ammonia free windex i have used for cleaning my brush, cleaning my yupo paper, and even as something to create texture. But i dont use it to thin paint..
Now regular windex with ammonia is even more dangerous since were on this subject.
Ammonia is very hazardous stuff.

Thanks,
D.

Windex is used for rewetting because of the ammonia. The binder in Createx Illustration is reactivated by an Amine. It is not sprayed through the airbrush for the techniques. I did textures class where we used it on almost every painting. I personally wouldn't use it for a reducer because it breaks down the binder and for the other dangers mentioned.

As far as atomizing the stuff don't we do that when we wash windows with the spray bottle anyway?

Thanks,
D.
Yes and no. While in a spray bottle it is still more liquid then mist. where as in an airbrush it is more pressure and a lot more atomization the a pump bottle can produce even at 5 PSI.

@jagardn, Ah that totally makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying that. In the workshop you did was the windex applied with Q-tips or brushes to achieve the textures? I would like to hear more about different textures that can be achieved with this approach.

@Mr.Micron, thats good to hear. I can clean my windows with confidence now. Thanks,

Thanks,
D.

@jagardn, Ah that totally makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying that. In the workshop you did was the windex applied with Q-tips or brushes to achieve the textures? I would like to hear more about different textures that can be achieved with this approach.

@Mr.Micron, thats good to hear. I can clean my windows with confidence now. Thanks,

Thanks,
D.

Here are two samples from the class. Rust and distressed leather.
c2666e434669cbb7835181b5ff834167.jpg

I paid for a class with Dru Blair, and since he makes a living off teaching it, I cant give away his methods.

@jagardn, Wow, those look great! I totally understand your position on not giving away the technique. Your examples really give me the full picture on what Createx is talking about now. Very cool. I will have to play around with that.

Thanks,
D.

that is why I use a paint that works perfect for me straight out the bottle :) no need for any reducers and if I on occasion need a little thinner paint water will do the trick .
I clean the brush in between colors with the same thing : plain good old water. if I clean my brush at the end of a session I do use a 3 or 4 drops alcohol 70% or a alcohol based window cleaner like windex just to flush out the paint followed by you guessed it : water :D
I'm a straight out of the bottle guy. What do you use for illustration paint?

Back