Wipe off overspray?

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
Hi, All.
I've noticed on quite a few vids [ you-tubes, etc. ] that as artists are working on their
pieces, they all stop momentarily, and wipe over their work with a rag/cloth to
remove any overspray from it.
What are they using and how is it that they don't smudge the piece thsy are working on?
Seen it done but would like to know how and what with.
Thanks

You may see them use a tac cloth for wiping loose paint off on metal panels, cars, bikes, etc. it's to make sure there isn't too much powdery build up that effects adhesion. Any sort of moisture on the rag will probably remove paint. It does with any of the illustration paints anyway, Wicked is a bit tougher and may not be effected as much.

You still have to be careful . I use a dry papertowel over paper, did that with wicked on a metal panel and ended up with fuzzies in my paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you say "fuzzies in my paint", were you meaning paper fibres stuck in the surface creating flaws?
Or did it just disrupt the paint surface?

A lot depends on what your painting on and what paints your using. I mainly paint on metal using urethanes so I have no problem using a tack rag like Jeff said plus I can wipe it down with a mild degreaser and that will clean all the overspray off. When using Auto Air paints I can use mineral spirits to wipe it down. If painting on illustration board only a tack rag will work but it's real sticky so gentle pressure is all that's needed.

using a micro fiber cloth at least with wicked (all types) and AA keeps the roughness down A LOT Just make sure the paint is dry works on all surfaces If it scratches the paint on metal you are going to have adhesion problems anyway

Dang KO , keep forgetting about the microfiber thing. Ok time to set a reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I only had a dollar for the amount of times I've wiped something on metal thinking, she'll be right LOL..

Last time I picked up a micro-fibre cloth it has also picked up a cple of bits of sand grit or something and scratched the work anyway LOL, silly me but yer as above, overspray can be easily wiped of and if you plan to wipe over the whole job, do a test section first to be safe..GL

I usually use (no matter with what kind of paint I work) a special cloth of blue color (it's usually sold in shops with stuff for car paint and so on) and a smooth silicone remover. If you work with urethane paint you can wipe it tough, but if you work with water based paint, please, be careful, just wipe gently;) And when I work with white color (doesn't matter water based or not) it always has a big overspray. You should remove it just after spraying it, not after working with another color after white - it will be useless. You can also use a special cloth - it's sticky, used for removing dirt and dust from surface. But, please, don't press it to the surface - it will leave its special glue! Think that's all..)

Hey Splasha! we call it tack rag in Australia, also know as tack cloth. If you take yourself to an automotive supply shop, they should have it - it's widely used by spray painters and when you take it out of the packet it has a grubby, tacky feel to it. It picks up all dust/ overspray and leaves no residue.

Thanks, ABT.
I'll just have to get me down to my local spray shop and hassle them for some.
Sounds like good gear to have.

Back