For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

YANM

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by Jeegen, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Jeegen

Jeegen Young Tutorling

yet another new member.

Please read my profile descripttion to learn about me.
    Gore Hunter and bex like this.
  2. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I admire your laziness (I aspire to that :p) Welcome :thumbsup:
    CHÉRIE and bex like this.
  3. Jeegen

Jeegen Young Tutorling

But, was it lazy of me to actually fill in my profile description? Weeks/months/years from now, it will be easier to get that info than to find this post in a host of dozens of other, very similar ones. ;) Work smarter, not harder

Thanks for the welcome :)
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  4. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Hi Jeegen, Welcome aboard from the UK. I checked out your profile lol - like your style. However you have underestimated our powers of being nosy, and wanting to be in everybody's business lollollol I can see what you paint, what you want to try, etc, but we want to know what equipment you have, and roughly where you are in the world, plus anything else we can squeeze out of you to maybe share some interests etc. Hopefully that info will help us give you specific advice in the future should you need any. We can advise on suppliers, etc nearer to you, or workshops/classes, find out if other experienced members live nearby to give some pointers, and help with any issues related directly to your gear. We just go to the advanced search, type your name, select the intro forum and up this post will pop, so we can get a quick reminder of what you have.

Of course you can mention that in any thread as you go along, but some guys do like to refer back. Especially like me the really, really nosy ones (you know who you are) lol
    bex likes this.
  5. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Well yes and no on the lazy being this "
    Been in the hobby of painting miniatures on & off for several years. Very recently picked up airbrushing to base coat large numbers of minis and paint camo on my WWII vehicles miniatures.

I may graduate to finer detailed work in time."
    does not really say what airbrushes you are using , or paint systems or even where on the planet you live .
    Now if that was all there I would agree smarter not harder but it is not :D

Welcome home !
  6. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

This person is using an eclipse HP-CS, I found that out by using my sharp detective skills, Sherlock Holmes has go nothing on me :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: in anothe ten minutes I might know where they are using ito_O
    CALz AyrWKz likes this.
  7. Jeegen

Jeegen Young Tutorling

Fair enough.

I'm close to New Haven, CT, USA. This is roughly equidistant from both Boston, MA and New York, NY. About a 2 hr drive either way.

Equipment:
    (formerly) Master's G22 (twisted the nozzle too tight and broke it off inside) This thing was pretty much junk, but was a good introduction to airbrushing.
    (current) Iwata Eclipse HP-CS
    TC-20 compressor with 1/5hp. This came with the Masters airbrush as a bundle. It has a pressure gauge and a moisture trap and hose. Seems to do the job.

Primer:
    Vallejo Grey Surface Primer to shoot through the airbrush. I haven't used it yet. Previously used Krylon from a spray can. I very much disliked how I had to have perfect weather to use it (you can't spray this stuff indoors, the smell is too strong).

Paints:
    (primary) Vallejo Game Air. I use brushes with these as well as shoot them out my airbrush
    I also have some "regular" Vallejo paints that need to be thinned quite a bit even for brush painting. Haven't tried shooting them through my brush, though.

Inks/Washes:
    I bought some Liquitex inks that I have yet to try, but am hoping they will do the job of filling in fine lines; especially on robotic models like the Robotech ones. For a wash I have Badab Black by Citadel.

Other:
    I spray into a cardboard box I sealed off on three sides with tape. I wear a respirator while I spray because I enjoy doing impressions of Bane, while home, alone. I close the door to the room and open the windows either during or after spraying. I think the ventilation is fine, but the purple fairies who always show up after a spray session say I should use a box fan, as well. Whay do they know!

Models:
    Robotech RPG Tactics: two of every box from the first wave (they were on sale)
    Flames of War Germans: a couple dozen mixed between infantry/gun sets and vehicles (many, many models)
    Kingdom Death: Monster (depends how many survivor models you want to make; ~6 monsters)
    Myth board game (41)
    War of the Ring board game (200 miniatures)
    Dark Vengeance Warhammer 40K Box Set (49 miniatures)
    Battletech: starter box (~10 minis)
    Dust Tactics: Mostly the vehicles only because they look really cool (15 infanttry, 5 vehicles)
    Ghost in the Shell: Tank and helicopter. These aren't meant to be painted, but I would love to put digital camo on both. This is a long-term goal

Plans:
    Use the airbrush for priming & base-coating and brush on all other details. If I get good enough with the airbrush, I will consider using it for weathering, and then moving on to finer detail.
    CHÉRIE, LovesArt, twood and 4 others like this.
  8. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

And the name of your dog? ;)lol

This is now officially the best introduction ever, I vote it gets made a sticky:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  9. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

Welcome from Canada :)
  10. bex

bex Gravity Guru

welcome, also think this is the best intro i have seen for ages lol!
  11. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Well done that man... yes I vote this be used as a model introduction... :) Welcome from New Zeland
    Malky likes this.
  12. Gore Hunter

Gore Hunter Needle-chuck Ninja

Welcome :) Cool to see you like miniatures. I've painted some miniatures recently, from Corvus Belli Infinity game. I'll try to post some pics during this week. Lots of fun :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Well Done and welcome from Australia
  14. Johnny T.

Johnny T. Gravity Guru

Welcome to the club, from dubuque IA.
  15. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Welcome to the forum, great intro and even a little humour in there which could come in handy for thread jacking at some point. Enjoy your stay here i think you will fit in.

Lee
  16. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Don't go dissing the purple fairies, those little flitters mess with your mind and twist your melon lol.
    LovesArt, JackEb and markjthomson like this.
  17. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

You need to get ember on to them, I'm sure she will enjoy chasing them around...
    JackEb and Squishy like this.
  18. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

You haven't told us if you have a cat. If you have a cat, your in with Malky and me!
    Nice intro! Welcome to the forum! :)
  19. Jeegen

Jeegen Young Tutorling

No pets, if I had any, I would probably follow the purple fairies' advice and use a box fan to avoid poisoning the pets. I hope to get a new job soon and will likely move for that. When that happens, I will likely get two cats. I'm not home enough to own a dog, or I'd get one of those, as well.

Also, my favorite color is blue, most of the time. I enjoy reading many types of books, but prefer fiction over everything else.

I'm a hard-core nerd/geek (in case you couldn't tell from the model collection) and enjoy most of what is involved in that (no Harry Potter, though, please!). I also hate everything JJ Abhrams(sp?) has created...he's so damn lazy.

I enjoy being involved in lots of different projects at a time. This isn't really by choice, I've just noticed I'm happy with the chaos that brings. No idea why that is.
    LovesArt and twood like this.
  20. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Welcome....from Ontario, Canada
    great people here....