yes, how to?

kjukju

pretty old tutorling
before i place my excercises here, i'd like to ask you, if i'm doing technically right.
Doing the dots, i use only a little amount of paint, means i use the trigger very very carfully - even doing the big dots.
They take a litte to build up, but they're good looking - well some of them;). Is this the right way to do it, or would you recommend to
give a little more trigger action? If im doing well, will i ever need the triggers full way back? That'll be a lot of paint!
I'm using a .2mm nozzle.
Sorry if this sounds a little wierd, but i do not want to build up "bad habits" right from the start

Thanks

First push the trigger down (giving air) and then carefully pull it to the rear (giving paint). Then reverse this action exactly when returning to the rest position. Practice this until it becomes fluid index finger motion.

VEGA 1000.png

Last edited:
ignis,
thanks for advise, i try to do so. I was just wondering if i should give more paint on the bigger dots than i used to do right now, or is it ok to work with less paint.
Since the whole triggerway is about 1 cm (.4 inches) or so, i'm using the first mm (.05")only.

What your doing sounds fine, its generally a good idea to build it slowly over multiple layers or run the risk of over saturation and spidering..

For bigger dots you move further away from the paper. It is up to the you how fast you want the paint to flow. To much paint and it can run or you go too dark. To little and you have to keep it going untill you get the coverage you need.

In regard to the dots there isn't a right or wrong way if it acomplishes what you want (there are however easier and more difficult methods to achieve some results :)). However letting them slowly build up like your doing is a good way to learn trigger control and certailnly a good way to start out (the quick and dirty methods can be applied when you've got the trigger control)

The only thing you can do wrong is not doing what ignis posted as not stopping the paint before the air will leave a small amount of paint in/on the nozzle/needle which will give a splatter result next time you press the air.
When applying paint its usualy: start move ---> + air ---> + paint --> - paint ---> - air ---> end move

Things that are important to realize/get used to when starting:

-Low presure = less paint (more control)
-High presure = more paint (less control)
-Close up = thin spray pattern
-far away = wide spray pattern
-Reduced paint = more control (slow saturation)
-None reduced paint = faster saturation

The above can be combined to get the desired result for instance if I want an area dark quickly: far away + high presure + non reduced paint. For small close up details: close by + low presure + reduced paint.

Watch out that not all combinations will work, reduced paint with high airpresure close up will probably result in spiders for instance.

Getting into dots

here we go! not my first but definitely not my last one.you may see some spidering and a lack in control especially with the small onestmp_20140227_202332-1122283609.jpg
any feedback is very welcome.
Thanks to all for the advise and tips.

I'm still doing dots and dashes.
A real good way to learn control of your brush and show you what's possible.
As with all things, the more we practice, the better we get.
Good job on your first sheet. [is much better than mine was.]

looking good, try to remember to do a few dots, lines, and daggers prior to starting to painting any pic or piece...it will help get your finger warmed up, helps with thinning of paint and PSI before you get started and then helps prevent that dredded SPLATT halfway through or right before completion and have to start all over.

Back