+0.6mm Airbrushes with adjustable aircaps

palk

Needle-chuck Ninja
I am looking for suggestions of airbrushs old,ish or new with an adjustable air cap, like maybe HP-BE2 with a paint nozzle between 0.6mm to 0.9mm that has exellent atomization with thick undiluted paints. I dont need a fan cap and would prefer a removable paint cup/ bottle. I need to run 50 60 psi pressure as the clear needs at least 50 to 100mm from the target to change it's thickness. It is thixotropic in nature. I am using a solvent based 2K clear coat that has a high solids content. I paint it on at least 0.16 to 0.25mm thick when cured..
The 2K clear I am using is freaky, it self levels like no paint I have ever used. It will cover 240 grit sand paper and leave a glassy finish, even applied and dried vertically with one coat

I'd say, for you better choice might be Iwata RG-3. Also cheap chinese gun named K-3 sprays well, but is not going to serve the same long time as Iwata does.

I'd say, for you better choice might be Iwata RG-3. Also cheap chinese gun named K-3 sprays well, but is not going to serve the same long time as Iwata does.

Hi Vlad thanks for your suggestion.
I have a K3 somewhere and it is a little large and it was not a performer . I am using a gravity 0.8mm Pistol Chinese airbrush with eclipce,ish head setup. That I have tuned the needle and modified a gravity cup to a hose attached to a 350ml remote pot. I paint lures 55mm long by 15mm round & 400 at a time. I am looking for a brush with a really fine atomization. As the clear I am using seems to thicken more, the finer it gets but my current brush can only do it at 50 to 60 PSI and at that pressure and closeness it is moving the clear around on the lure.
If I could get the pressure down to 30 to 40PSI with the same or better atomization and the same paint flow rate I would call that a win.
I will post a pic of my current brush

Screenshot_20220130-151532_Video Player.jpg I have polished the needle, in and out of the paint nozzle, tip only
I coated the handle with Epoxy resin with sparkles. Because "I am a party boy" it was made from ABS plastic that became tacky when exposed to thinners. The trigger was made from chrome plated ABS so I made a stainless trigger to replace it from some 2mm 316 scrap stainless sheet I had laying around.
I cut the threaded end off the smallest cup and with some steel filled epoxy putty formed a tapered hole for a push in EPDM 4mm o/d hose attachment to my gravity paint reservoir.
Under my right hand in the pic.

I can;t thin of many brushes with adjustable heads... thing of the past.

The H & S Colani may be something that could work for you. I believe they have both .6 and .8 set ups available for it. Lots of larger cups will actually fit it... I think you may actually be better off with a mini gun or something similar. You should not underestimate the ability of a good fan cap to atomize paint.

I can;t thin of many brushes with adjustable heads... thing of the past.

The H & S Colani may be something that could work for you. I believe they have both .6 and .8 set ups available for it. Lots of larger cups will actually fit it... I think you may actually be better off with a mini gun or something similar. You should not underestimate the ability of a good fan cap to atomize paint.

Thanks Dave
I have tried a few solutions
0.5 nozzle airbrush was way to slow and required 2 coats. The K3 was to much and ran like crap. I borrowed a Star 1.2 gravity touchup gun and bought a 0.8 nozzle kit for it but the pattern was to large. And clogged my spraybooth filters. I was not prepared to drop $300aud on colani research, at the time. So I purchased the cheap $48aud 0.8 pistol airbrush and it worked well, despite the issues I had.
When I first started I lusted after a colani's . It would improve things, but they where designed to change the paint viscosity to suit the job or nozzle size
I was thinking that an adjustable air cap might be a better solution for lowering air pressure considering I don't want to reduce my clear coat.
For me this is all suppositions.
I have spotted a HP-BE2 but there is no YouTube vids or any real info on them or adjustable air caps being use to adjust atomization.
Or where they just a way of overcoming manufacturing tolerances
Any insight you could share would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Vlad thanks for your suggestion.
I have a K3 somewhere and it is a little large and it was not a performer . I am using a gravity 0.8mm Pistol Chinese airbrush with eclipce,ish head setup. That I have tuned the needle and modified a gravity cup to a hose attached to a 350ml remote pot. I paint lures 55mm long by 15mm round & 400 at a time. I am looking for a brush with a really fine atomization. As the clear I am using seems to thicken more, the finer it gets but my current brush can only do it at 50 to 60 PSI and at that pressure and closeness it is moving the clear around on the lure.
If I could get the pressure down to 30 to 40PSI with the same or better atomization and the same paint flow rate I would call that a win.
I will post a pic of my current brush

Now it's more clear what you need that gun for, small things. I haven't used my guns for the things that small.
RG-3 has somewhat adjustable head. I could take a shot of it if you need, just let me know. Beside that Iwata makes small guns within Eclipse line, but price for them...:eek:

Now it's more clear what you need that gun for, small things. I haven't used my guns for the things that small.
RG-3 has somewhat adjustable head. I could take a shot of it if you need, just let me know. Beside that Iwata makes small guns within Eclipse line, but price for them...:eek:

I have to admit the K3 I have,,displays all the hallmarks of cheapness. And was probably made from a recycled rice cooker
When I first started painting lures I used the K3,,, and it was that what biased my view of the crossover type spray brushes.
Your comments and DaveG convinced me to look again..

I watched a vid from from U tube and showed the head layout of the Iwata RG-3L and the presenter even referenced the HP-BE2 in the clip as having the same air cap arangement.
And the prices for RG-3L are not toooo bad.
So now I am shopping for an RG-3L with a 0.6 and 0.8mm Nozzle
Thanks again

I have to admit the K3 I have,,displays all the hallmarks of cheapness. And was probably made from a recycled rice cooker
When I first started painting lures I used the K3,,, and it was that what biased my view of the crossover type spray brushes.
Your comments and DaveG convinced me to look again..

That thing is cheap in many aspects, you're right, but is able to do some jobs right. Especially I don't like about this gun is that one need to unscrew back part to remove the needle. It's very annoying part of the cleaning. O-ring becomes destroyed very fast due to that operation.

And the prices for RG-3L are not toooo bad.
So now I am shopping for an RG-3L with a 0.6 and 0.8mm Nozzle
Thanks again

The prices are good, even for new guns. I got mine from e-bay for sweet price in great condition, used twice I think, as inside white and rosy paint was lightly seen:) Some cleaning and it's new again.

That thing is cheap in many aspects, you're right, but is able to do some jobs right. Especially I don't like about this gun is that one need to unscrew back part to remove the needle. It's very annoying part of the cleaning. O-ring becomes destroyed very fast due to that operation.

The prices are good, even for new guns. I got mine from e-bay for sweet price in great condition, used twice I think, as inside white and rosy paint was lightly seen:) Some cleaning and it's new again.

I have to eat my words a little I did a quick search while posting and found some prices for $96 and $77 AUD I thought that was cheap but they were from a bullcrap sites like https://www.spirovoll.com/ whitch are scammers.
In Australia they are selling for $250 to $500 ???AUD from retail shop websites.
From Japan they are advertising them for $120 to $160AUD from reputable shops. For the fan cap version they are a low $97 AUD in japan + freight but apparently are not to good.
I would like to get the 0.6 and 1.0mm nozzle just to be sure I have the right size for my job
So it's Japan or wait for one to show up on EBay thats the right size.
I just looked at bio
May trouble not know your name

Besides, you could look at Aliexpress. There were RG-3 there, maybe the price is lover there. I can't say anything as access to Ali is not possible here for now.

I think, for your purpose you don't need fan cap version.

Besides, you could look at Aliexpress. There were RG-3 there, maybe the price is lover there. I can't say anything as access to Ali is not possible here for now.

Vladimir, it is good to see you posting. I am glad to see you! I hope all is well.

Yeah I agree about the need for me to have a fan cap. It is no surprise it is cheaper. All the reviews about the fan caps are not good, mainly due to no adjustment of air flow to the fan..
Now I have another problem I found a 2nd hand infinity with a bunch of genuine H&S extras. A 0.4mm needle/nozzle, A/B stand, cup to side bottle adapter, QC fitting, and the FPC valve. All for $180. AUD or 3730.UAH.
I have a limited budget and a RG3 might have to wait a couple of months.
I hate decisions between needs and wants. My best detail brush is an 1980s HP-B right now.
Thanks for the guidance Vladimir

No one likes that decision making on low budget.
My thought is what you need the most. From what you've said, it seems you need atomization more than sweets that come with Infinity.
The question is what atomizes 2K clear better, Infinity of RG-3. Honestly, I have serious doubts that Infinity does. For it you need to reduce the clear badly to normally go through the nozzle. In this case you loose the quality of top coat of your products.
RG-3 gives you the ability to change the pressure at the nozzle (thus atomization) and regulate to some extent the size of the "dot" paint pattern by changing the position of the head on the threads.
But I'm not forcing you to buy smth, just thoughts aloud:)

When your right,, your right .
Its an old saying
But I do take 4 spoons of sugar in my coffee.
And if it was a choice between 2 used paint guns. I would buy the RG3 but it's the first time I have seen a used infinity for sale in OZ and at almost a 1/3 of new price with a money back guarantee if it is faulty. And I could sell some of the extras that are with it. The FPC valve, "I have 3 air regulators on my paint booth." The H&S 2 brush stand. Spare pinch cap and the ruler spacer cap..
And give me a little more time for a used RG3 to pop up.
That what I am what I am telling myself..

No one likes that decision making on low budget.
My thought is what you need the most. From what you've said, it seems you need atomization more than sweets that come with Infinity.
The question is what atomizes 2K clear better, Infinity of RG-3. Honestly, I have serious doubts that Infinity does. For it you need to reduce the clear badly to normally go through the nozzle. In this case you loose the quality of top coat of your products.
RG-3 gives you the ability to change the pressure at the nozzle (thus atomization) and regulate to some extent the size of the "dot" paint pattern by changing the position of the head on the threads.
But I'm not forcing you to buy smth, just thoughts aloud:)

Well Vladimir
You wouldn't believe it, a RG-3L 0.6mm showed up on FB and I got it for $50.00 + freight. New and unused with a 1.0mm nozzle, aircap and needle. Should be here on Tuesdays.

Well Vladimir
You wouldn't believe it, a RG-3L 0.6mm showed up on FB and I got it for $50.00 + freight. New and unused with a 1.0mm nozzle, aircap and needle. Should be here on Tuesdays.

That is great!:thumbsup: New for that price, you should be given Heaven's gift:)
It must be the best nozzle setup for your needs.
Tell us how you find this gun for your needs after some testing on real things.

It gets better he has a spare 1.0mm aircap, nozzle and needle. Included in the price.
The gun has a 0.6mm fitted and the long leg stand cup. He had 3 off them. Another person beat me to the box of goodies "but" his picture in the advert didn't show all 3 of them.
So he made another $50.00 selling me one of them befor the other guy showed up.
Otherwise I would have purchased the whole box with 4 iwata Revolutions 10 hoses,10+ quick connects and a lots of iwata spare parts nozzles, aircaps, crowns, ect. it was a Iwata treasure box.
But I am not greedy I have what I need..
More good news is I will be able to get the Infinity for $150 AUD if it is still available monday morning. Fingers crossed

That is great!:thumbsup: New for that price, you should be given Heaven's gift:)
It must be the best nozzle setup for your needs.
Tell us how you find this gun for your needs after some testing on real things.
It's here as described by the seller with the extra parts
Not sure about the needle. A lot of dust on it, no signs of paint though. Has the expencive Iwata Stainless cup with the leg stand
Now testing time 20220524_155728.jpg

Last edited:
Back