$19 Generic Asian Sotar look alike - pleasant surprise

Not sure if it is related to my application, but my first airbrush which is still in use, has had its original needle and nozzle for 30+ years and counting. I put a ton of miles on that cheap airbrush, the one in my avatar picture.

Yeah, if you take care, material can last a long time...there is also a possibility to sharpen a needle, but once not concentrated, the nozzle has a damage

Hello,

It finally arrived! Dave and others have reviewed in detail so I'll try not to repeat them in this "unboxing" post.
First of all, our friends at Ali forgot one tiny little detail. My ***** address!!!! The package only had my name, the city and the zip code! Fortunately I was following the tracking number and as soon as it alerted Insufficient Address I rushed to the post office. The clerk was laughing like "Really?" :)
Anyways, I told myself "manage your expectations. It is a $15.43 INCLUDING shipping."

First impression was: Nice case!
IMGP9099.jpg

Hmm, nice packaging. The packaging and case by themselves almost cover the price of admission already.
IMGP9100.jpg

Noticed what appeared to be some fingerprints in the handle. Not really a big deal, just nickpicking.
IMGP9101.jpg

Brush looks good. The finish is not a Harder and Steenbeck level but decent enough for an airbrush 5 or 6 times the price and on par with some current name brands. The cup cap is a nice touch.
IMGP9105.jpg

The durability of the finish has been discussed but it does look good from the get go.
IMGP9107.jpg

Pleasantly surprised to see everything properly centered and polished. No signs of shaving burrs or rough edges anywhere.
IMGP9108.jpg

There is a white substance like wax. Similar to Chapstix. Not sure if for sealing or more for assembly as it is everywhere. Not an issue at all.
IMGP9112.jpg

The nozzle is nicely centered and protrudes evenly and nicely from the air cap right out of the gate. I was about to get ready to do some sanding to the air cap's base if needed but not necessary.
IMGP9117.jpg

Quick check and everything feels nice and tight.
IMGP9115.jpg
The only comment I have is that the needle chucking guide could be a hint longer so the needle chucking nut would be better centered in the cutout. It touches the front of the handle cutout and has an ever so slightly wobble when the trigger is pulled back.

If there was any doubt as to what the "inspiration" was... but ended up been 1/10 of the price!
IMGP9120.jpg

No time for a proper test with paint as I'm heading out of town for the weekend, but I did a quick test with thinner. I was surprised how nice it sprays out of the gate. The trigger feel is probably closer to a chinese cheaper brush but.... wait.... That is exactly what it is! Did I mention it was less than $16 shipped? I see some tweaking in the future like softer springs but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with it especially for the price point. Now let's put some miles on it to see how it holds.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited:
.... I see some tweaking in the future like softer springs but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with it especially for the price point. Now let's put some miles on it to see how it holds.

Thanks,
Ismael
hehehehe,, I am glad you finally got your hands on one!

I went ahead and changed out both the trigger and needle springs to others I have on hand. I also slipped one of my FFKM75-DG needle packing seals in. The brush is butter smooth to use. Between this forum and my FB page I know of enough people that have tried this brush to observe they have been quite consistent. At this price point it is a gem. I just keep thinking what if Gaahleri had been as close and as consistent every time with the Mobius. What a missed opportunity on their part...

Hi Dave,
Any spring recommendation? I need to check if I have something in my bench. I am considering getting a few more to sell to my local model building community. Checking with them to see if there is enough interest.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hi Dave,
Any spring recommendation? I need to check if I have something in my bench. I am considering getting a few more to sell to my local model building community. Checking with them to see if there is enough interest.

Thanks,
Ismael
I made a BUNCH of springs to go with the seal kits. I have a rather generic trigger spring that works in a wide range of brushes... so went with that. Also, the lighter needle spring I made for the Evolution and Ultra fit this brush perfect...

Got mine in the mail today....I like the look and feel of it....buuuut...there are some things i have to mention (not complaining for this price)
1st Needle ist really straight and nicely done
2nd the Nozzle and needle are well centered
3rd there is, as already mentioned, this white stuff everywhere
4th in the Cup there ist some blueish shine as if metal became too hot
5th for me, the trigger pushdown is a bit strong
6th on the coating there are some "bubbles" in the corner

didn't sprayed yet, but so far i am more than happy what i got for the price....will report after spraytest

195edf72-85b4-4502-9b45-2bd794547bea.jpg

Hello,

Interesting update: I used it for the first time with paint today. Before going enamel or lacquer abuse mode, I painted some interior model car parts with Createx acrylics diluted with distilled water. It sprayed nicely with no drama and the painted part came out great.
Usual wipe down with a Qtip and I noticed what I thought was some dried paint in the cup. (Excuse the crappy cell phone pics)

1719518202378.png

To my surprise it was a clear coat in the cup. I pulled it and it came out completely!
1719518164765.png
1719518259915.png

Removed it and everything seems fine again, but it was weird.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

Interesting update: I used it for the first time with paint today. Before going enamel or lacquer abuse mode, I painted some interior model car parts with Createx acrylics diluted with distilled water. It sprayed nicely with no drama and the painted part came out great.
Usual wipe down with a Qtip and I noticed what I thought was some dried paint in the cup. (Excuse the crappy cell phone pics)

View attachment 90467

To my surprise it was a clear coat in the cup. I pulled it and it came out completely!
View attachment 90466
View attachment 90468
Yeah, that seems to be a common thing on this brush - the interior of the color cup sheds. It is as you say some sort of clear coat. Yours is the first I have read about peeling prior to acetone or lacquer thinner, though. I am pretty sure someone also mentioned that the finish on the exterior of the brush also started to peel away, but the brush continued to work fine.

Hello,

*UPDATE*
So this little airbrush surprised me twice, on both ends of the spectrum.
It works really well for my scale models application. I have shot acrylics and lacquers thru it and it has performed beautifully. At the end, that's the most important part.
However, after only 2 days of real use, it looks like a war veteran!
You are looking here at a Squeaky CLEAN airbrush. I suspect this was dunked cleared and speedy heat dried.
1719784730977.png

1719784796404.png

1719784871913.png

I wonder if the white residue I noticed when new was really clear already flaked from the threads.

But so far, this can become a dedicated primer applicator. Still needs to earn my trust for clear top coat. Maybe later.
Not really sure if I still want to buy a few to sell among my modeling friends thou.

Thanks,
Ismael

I think for the price, they are a great little brush to have around to play with. Something to get serious about? Probably not... I will say, though - I have paid much more for brushes that I wish were as easy to use!

Send them a pict through Aliexpress- maybe they will send you a freebie ;)

Agree! This one tips the scale to performance over long term looks. Like a garage built race car with multi-color parts. It really performs, especially at the price point. Still recommended with the caveat that the looks will deteriorate quickly.
Like a girlfriend. Get a smart and pretty one. A pretty one but dumb will get ugly eventually anyways lol

Last edited:
Back