2 more questions for now =) thanks guys.

P

peterjames

question one. How many people Airbrush freehand what i mean by free hand is just using a line drawing or an outline and air brush the rest without using stencils or freehand stencils?

and question two. should i be practicing using one hand. Im not sure yet cause i havent done much work due to busyness but it seems like it would be
much harder to airbrush with one hand. I will be posting my first excercise sheets tomorrow im making myself do them tonight.

thanks guys and if you would please look out for the sheets i post tomorow i really value your imput and advice thanks alot

pete =)

Actually....stencils or shields i hardly use....its like you said....i do the outlining with a projector and then i just start airbrushing.....tried use masking tape on 2 projects also....but for me it destroys more then it does any good. Probably more because i still have to figure out which tape to use for what. The only shields i have bought....is those for making true fire....but even with those ( although true fire is very hard ) i still cant make a good true fire. I think it's a personal preference to either use things to assist you yes or no. For myself....it does not work...lol.

As for your second question....i am right handed....but i always use my left to support my right hand....you'll be more accurate like this and not create all wiggly lines when using only one hand for airbrushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually....stencils or shields i hardly use....its like you said....i do the outlining with a projector and then i just start airbrushing.....tried use masking tape on 2 projects also....but for me it destroys more then it does any good. Probably more because i still have to figure out which tape to use for what. The only shields i have bought....is those for making true fire....but even with those ( although true fire is very hard ) i still cant make a good true fire. I think it's a personal preference to either use things to assist you yes or no. For myself....it does not work...lol.

As for your second question....i am right handed....but i always use my left to support my right hand....you'll be more accurate like this and not create all wiggly lines when using only one hand for airbrushing.

Thanks for the reply. I have done some reasearch on airbrushed work and i dont like the way masking looks. I come from a background of drawing realism and when i see things that are masked it looks very comuter animated. not only that i dont want to have to stop and make a mask exct.. and break the process so my goal is to airbush without stencils. my concern is getting that fuzzy look from over spray. i have yet to practice so il fittle with it tonight and post my practice sheets tomorrow... but how do you controll overspray how do you stop that fuzzy look wihtout a sheild or stencil ?

lol....i mostly paint on black paper.....so i just cover the overspray with black when i am about done. Works for me.

okay il do somethings tonight to see how this all works lol.

I have done some reasearch on airbrushed work and i dont like the way masking looks. I come from a background of drawing realism and when i see things that are masked it looks very comuter animated. not only that i dont want to have to stop and make a mask exct.. and break the process so my goal is to airbush without stencils. my concern is getting that fuzzy look from over spray. i have yet to practice so il fittle with it tonight and post my practice sheets tomorrow... but how do you controll overspray how do you stop that fuzzy look wihtout a sheild or stencil ?

The purpose of masking and/or using stencils is exactly as you mentioned, to avoid "that fuzzy look from overspray". Personally, I avoid masking if at all possible because it requires too much time. However, freehand stencils allow the artist speed and precision. I use freehand shields frequently in most of my work. Having said that... I'm not a fan of artwork created with only stencils (layering one stencil over another and simply spraying different colors through them). This method removes the artist from the equation in my opinion, often gives that cookie cutter look and is not what freehand stencils were designed for. Stencils or shields are just another tool to help the artist get the job done. With a little practice using them, you will learn how to use them effectively and in the end, others won't be able to tell where you used them... and that's the secret of the ninja pertaining to stencil use.

When i use a stencil or shield i try to lightly go over the hard edge just to soften it ever so slightly. That way you get a sharper line but with the un-stenciled look. Another trick is to hold the shield slightly off the paper or whatever you're painting on, this gives you a softer hard edge.

Lee

Last edited:
I use whatever I have to use to get the look I want to get. I've done things 100% freehand, I've used hand cut stencils, free hand shields, plenty of masking.... every project is different. I might do something 99% freehand, but in one tiny area I want a hard edge, so I'll grab a freehand shield, get my edge and that could be the only time I do it on that piece.... all depends.

As far as free hand it all depends on the subject matter I am paint to weather I use a shield or just go straight free hand.

Question two is totally up to you . But you will find that when you do have to use shields that being able to use just one hand comes in handy...

I'll use a mixture of freehand, and shields. Stencils don't give the look I like but for certain things they are useful. However on the rare occasion I ever use one I make my own, so that it's at least original. I'll basically do whatever I feel the need to, to get the effect i want. Freehand is way quicker, but I'm not precious about it (I have seen people on other sites criticise anything other than freehand), it's the end result that counts, and whether you are happy with it. Do what looks and feels good to you!

Back