2 Point perspective

T

Talla

Thought I would put up a little tutorial on 2 point perspective as I have spent the last few days trying to get to grips with this subject!

The problem I had was that I wanted to create a chessboard for a project and have it in a diagonal position with one corner closest to the viewer. This meant that I had to create the board in two point perspective as regards to 1 point perspective where everything is diminishing in one direction only (think of a straight steet running away from you).

I have put some illustrations together showing the way I cracked this 2 point perspective problem. To assist me in putting this together I used an old CAD package I have to enable me to keep everything accurate and smudge free!

View attachment 26090

The illustration above is my basic framework giving me my central vertical plane, my veiwing horizon and my two vanishing points.

perspective_2.jpg

Now I choose a point that gives me two squares depth (the reason for this will be explained). You can make this as big or small as you require within the framework

perspective_3.jpg

I now mirror this point across to the other side.

perspective_4.jpg

I then project a line from the vanishing points to intersect with my previous points.

perspective_5.jpg

I now have a square shown in two point perspective but remember this is actually the basis for 4 squares not one the reason being is that I need to find the middle of my square to be able to proceed.

perspective_6.jpg

To find the middle of the square I run a line from one corner to its opposite corner (remember that the centre running horizontally will not be dead centre of the square but more towards the back of the square as the perspective is already having an effect). I need to find the centre for two reasons ... 1. to get the extents of my first square (remember we started with a two square gap) 2. to project the extent of my third squares

perspective_7.jpg

I have my 4 squares now created and I am in a position where I can project the extents of my third row

perspective_8.jpg

By projecting a line between the corners of my top most square I project the line to each edge to give me the location for the end of the next row of squares

perspective_9.jpg

I again project a line from the vanishing points to the locations for the end of the third row for each side and ... voila we now have 9 squares!

perspective_10.jpg

I continue this process until I have 64 squares (8x8 matrix). One word of warning ... when projecting the next row be careful of the square (diamond) that you choose to project a line between corners to the edges as it starts to get pretty tight in their. If the width of the square looks wider than your last one then you are one diamond too high and need to relook at what you are projecting!

perspective_11.jpg

This is the Chessboard with all construction lines removed with the exception of the horizon and vertical planes

perspective_12.jpg

Two examples showing different perspectives both done with this method.

I intend do incorporate a chessboard similar to the one created above. I have done this in a CAD package as a DXF file so I can transer it to my Silhoutte for cutting on masking vinyl. If doing this by hand you need to be as accurate as possible as errors seem to get amplified as you go through the process.

Hope you enjoyed this and found it useful :kiwi-fruit:

Andy

Nice tutorial... You realize there is a third perspective point in that right? The one from the front corner to the back corner. The squares get smaller that way too...

I have to agree with Rob that is a 3 point perspective due to the center line is 1 point. But still a good tutor for everyone.

Third point would be in the vertical ... If I placed a highrise on some of the squares then I would have to take that into effect. What you mention is single point perspective ... running from front to back like a road set out in front of you.

As an ex CAD person I thought I could do it easily in 3d but I didnt get the perspective that the eye belived (more isometric than perspective!)

Herb ... The first point is automatically taken care of with this 2 point example but as you say it does exist in there right through the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Im saying in addition to your two left and right perspectives there is a third right up the middle. Connect the corners of the black squares from the front to the back and you have a third perspective...

Its a great tut, I was just pointing that out. Not trying to argue or anything. Perspective is something many struggle with and its how we represent 3d in a 2d format.

Third point would be in the vertical ... If I placed a highrise on some of the squares then I would have to take that into effect. What you mention is single point perspective ... running from front to back like a road set out in front of you.

As an ex CAD person I thought I could do it easily in 3d but I didnt get the perspective that the eye belived (more isometric than perspective!)

Even doing a plain line of a grid system like this using the two outer points and the one center point is 3 points. Now if you say used a 30 degree angle in only 1 direction this and center line then it would be a 2 point perspective.
At least that is the way it was taught to me back in the day where you only had T-squares 30/60 and 45 degree angles on an old drafting table.
Both ways are able to be rendered in a 3d view port

Come on Herb ... give a guy a break!

One point, two point ... ten point ... I only learned about it two days ago and only figured it out last night!

Here are some more examples where I have moved the position of my two the vanishing points so they are not equal to my vertical plane.

offset 2 point example.jpgoffset 2 point.jpg

The terminolgy may be suspect but the method seems to work!

Come on Herb ... give a guy a break!

One point, two point ... ten point ... I only learned about it two days ago and only figured it out last night!

Here are some more examples where I have moved the position of my two the vanishing points so they are not equal to my vertical plane.

View attachment 26105View attachment 26106

The terminolgy may be suspect but the method seems to work!

LOL Talla Ya know I have to give you a hard time .:D Nothing but love for ya bro... Like I said it really does not matter what perspective you wish to call it it is still a great way for others who like yourself may have not been exposed to this method . So no worries mate.
Not picking all those little squares out it what really is going to be a pain in the butt... :D

Its a great tut, I was just pointing that out. Not trying to argue or anything. Perspective is something many struggle with and its how we represent 3d in a 2d format.

Thanks Rab ... I struggled with it for long enough!

The thing with perspective is. .... It depends on how you look at it ; 0)

LOL Talla Ya know I have to give you a hard time .:D Nothing but love for ya bro... Like I said it really does not matter what perspective you wish to call it it is still a great way for others who like yourself may have not been exposed to this method . So no worries mate.
Not picking all those little squares out it what really is going to be a pain in the butt... :D

Not looking forward to weeding the squares out myself but it sure beats drawing it all out and then cutting it out!!!

Back