2k Clear

otpowell

Double Actioner
I'm buying some HOK 2k clear today to spray through my spray gun. Anyone have any tips or a good instructional link to apply it? I don't need to buff or sand this stuff if I lay it right? Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, also, what's the best way to spray a panel? Should I lay it flat on a table or put it on my easel? Seems like the flat surface would be better and less prone to runs

Thinking of putting 2-3 coats, then wet sand with 1500 then 2000. Then, reducing my clear and adding a flow coat. That should like a good idea? Only thing is, my clear is DuPont brand.. I have ru311 HOK reducer.. I wonder if I can use HOK reducer with DuPont clear?

I'm buying some HOK 2k clear today to spray through my spray gun. Anyone have any tips or a good instructional link to apply it? I don't need to buff or sand this stuff if I lay it right? Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

There are probably some good instructional videos on youtube for setting up the gun if you search. It's a little trail and error process and can't really be explained effectively with plain text.

Oh, also, what's the best way to spray a panel? Should I lay it flat on a table or put it on my easel? Seems like the flat surface would be better and less prone to runs

I would definitely recommend laying it flat for the very reason you mentioned.

Thinking of putting 2-3 coats, then wet sand with 1500 then 2000. Then, reducing my clear and adding a flow coat. That should like a good idea? Only thing is, my clear is DuPont brand.. I have ru311 HOK reducer.. I wonder if I can use HOK reducer with DuPont clear?

If you're going to flow coat it, sand with 600 or 800 wet. 1500 and 2000 will not provide enough tooth for subsequent coats to adhere properly which could cause delam issues later. And you only need to sand it once with whatever grit you decide on... more than that is only creating extra work for yourself.

I don't recommend mixing products from different systems. I have mixed PPG and HOK products before with no problems. I don't use Dupont so I can't speak on that. If you do mix products, do it on a test panel first.

Hey wicked, I bought some pre-reduced HOK paint from tcp global, do you think it would be fine trying to spray the base coat through a spray gun with a 1.4 nozzle or should I have a touch up gun for that?

Hey wicked, I bought some pre-reduced HOK paint from tcp global, do you think it would be fine trying to spray the base coat through a spray gun with a 1.4 nozzle or should I have a touch up gun for that?

It should be fine with a full size gun. On a side note... I don't recommend buying pre-reduced products. The reducer will evaporate in the container over time.

I know.. Good thing is I bought some sg100 and ru311 so I can add reducer to it.. I will never buy pre-reduced again.. I will buy Kandy concentrate and mix with sg100 & ru311. Guy told me at the store that retarder isn't necessary.. That true?

I know.. Good thing is I bought some sg100 and ru311 so I can add reducer to it.. I will never buy pre-reduced again.. I will buy Kandy concentrate and mix with sg100 & ru311. Guy told me at the store that retarder isn't necessary.. That true?

Correct. Adding a retardant is only necessary if you need to slow down the flash and/or cure time. This only comes into play if you're shooting large items in a very hot climate.

Thanks for clarifying! Your the man! Ok, I know that you should not store paint under 65 degrees.. What is the other end of the spectrum? I don't plan on airbrushing in the garage when it's 95 degrees anyway. Can it dry my paint out faster? I imagine it would just want you to validate thoughts.. Lol

Why would you need to slow down the cure time? Just curious in case I encounter an instance where I would like to know this info so that I could add retarder.

Thanks for clarifying! Your the man! Ok, I know that you should not store paint under 65 degrees.. What is the other end of the spectrum? I don't plan on airbrushing in the garage when it's 95 degrees anyway. Can it dry my paint out faster? I imagine it would just want you to validate thoughts.. Lol

It's possible, but I've never had issues with storage in high temps, only when it turns cold.

Why would you need to slow down the cure time? Just curious in case I encounter an instance where I would like to know this info so that I could add retarder.

In low humidity and high temp environments (talking triple digits usually) base coat can flash off as fast as you can spray it which causes a very grainy textured finish (called dry spray). Clear coat will be affected too. The clear will falsh and begin tacking up too soon. This can also cause dry spray and a lot of orange peel because the paint doesn't have the opportunity to flow out properly. Adding a retarder combats these problems.

In low humidity and high temp environments (talking triple digits usually) base coat can flash off as fast as you can spray it which causes a very grainy textured finish (called dry spray). Clear coat will be affected too. The clear will falsh and begin tacking up too soon. This can also cause dry spray and a lot of orange peel because the paint doesn't have the opportunity to flow out properly. Adding a retarder combats these problems.

Wow. Thanks Wicked. I don't think I'll have the low humidity problem here in Florida. Thanks for the info. This info is not easy to find! Believe me I tried!

Hey wicked, I am doing a jeweled metal panel, and planning on putting a couple coats of clear to cover the grind marks then sanding with 800 grit for adhesion purposes. Instead of using my 2k clear to cover the grind marks, do you see any complications if I was to use acrylic lacquer instead and then use the 2k for my final clear coat?

Can you clear coat foam board to make the colors pop more? I guess you can clear anything to make the colors brighter right.

This info is not easy to find! Believe me I tried!

Actually my friend, all of this info is very easy to find... if you know where to look!

Coast Airbrush Products

This link will take you to the HOK tech sheets (the tech sheets are also accessible on the HOK website). The answers to all of your questions can be found on the tech sheets. Of course, you can always just ask us here on the forum too! Many, many years ago I was in your shoes trying to learn an industry with no prior knowledge. The internet wasn't around at that time which made it even more difficult and there wasn't a lot of "sharing" amongst other painters... Resources like this forum would have made things much easier. So, I'm happy to help when I can!

Back