3 Old Beauties

OK, that is what I thought. I had to poke mine out through the side much the way you did, I suppose. The seal and retaining screw gets reinstalled through the front. The screw is the same thread size and pitch as the head post. I had to clean the back of the threads (just in front of the color cup feed hole) really well before I could get the screw to pass through without getting bound, but it eventually went in without issue. I had a very difficult time getting the retaining screw to come out the front...
Thanks Dave and sorry to put you to that trouble. At least you now know the barrel is clean all the way through. That may be my problem also because I tried the same and couldn’t get past the nozzle head area, so decided maybe it went in some other way. I didn’t want to force it. I will have to give it a thorough clean and try again.

Thanks Dave and sorry to put you to that trouble. At least you now know the barrel is clean all the way through. That may be my problem also because I tried the same and couldn’t get past the nozzle head area, so decided maybe it went in some other way. I didn’t want to force it. I will have to give it a thorough clean and try again.
I got a lot of black dust out of the area at first - I am assuming it was dried ink, maybe? If need be you can run a tap through - should be relatively inexpensive - m3.5 x 0.7mm (maybe - might want to double check that).

I got a lot of black dust out of the area at first - I am assuming it was dried ink, maybe? If need be you can run a tap through - should be relatively inexpensive - m3.5 x 0.7mm (maybe - might want to double check that).
I got mine out, following your suggestion after soaking the end in some cleaner and using a few cotton buds to get the junk out. Unfortunately the leather seal got chewed up when i tried to reinstall it so I have to try and make a replacement. They are so small!

I need to make one for my Burdick at the same time. I’ve not got a plan as to how yet. My guess is they had some kind of metal punch they used to make them the right size.

use an o-ring ;), unless you want to be period correct.

I do want to be period correct on the Burdick, but I’d be fine with using rubber in the conopois. Thing is, I can’t find one small enough. Even online they don’t seem easy to buy that small. I’ll have another look tomorrow.

for the leather seal - I have no idea what you have to work with, but a simple punch can be made from a brass tube. You'll want to sharpen the edges best you can. Even using sand paper and drawing it across by hand will allow you to work an edge that should work. A good smack with a hammer should allow it to punch a suitable piece of leather. I would try drilling the center hole while the leather was still in the brass punch...

for the leather seal - I have no idea what you have to work with, but a simple punch can be made from a brass tube. You'll want to sharpen the edges best you can. Even using sand paper and drawing it across by hand will allow you to work an edge that should work. A good smack with a hammer should allow it to punch a suitable piece of leather. I would try drilling the center hole while the leather was still in the brass punch...
Thanks Dave, sounds a good plan. I have a selection of my wife’s handbags. I only need a small piece. Doubt she’ll notice. 🤫

In seriousness I’m looking for a suitable bit of genuine leather maybe from an old wallet or something

fitted a new o-ring and found a pin which fits too. Turns out the thing to search for is a watch strap/band screw. There are sets but none I could find small enough. Found a seller on ebay selling them individually, a little oversize but it seems to fit fine. 1.0 (thread diameter) 1.3 (pin diameter) 10.6 (pin length). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282951824547

Not been able to test it yet but it’s at least back together.

So the Conopois now sprays, but I have constant air because the valve doesn’t work properly (does not close off). I think this is the last problem. In the metal part is a black plastic bit with a triangular hole under which is a circular hole. Outside all I have are these parts so I’m wondering what is missing to make it seal?
A3D6E85A-6EB9-4936-9C5F-69E8F3E676D6.jpeg

I think You have to get it just right, when i just put mine back together it was blowing air all the time but I took it apart again, and put it back together and it was fine. when the plastic bit and the spring was in the housing, the spring stuck out about 4mm, just try it a few times, it might be that simple!

Back