For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

30 hours and Penny gets trashed

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Airbrush Dreams, May 9, 2013.

1. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Well after 30 hours of work I had to trash this piece again. I have been working with the new Createx Illustration paints and once again as I was playing with reductions to avoid the line breaking and spitting issue it spat again as you can see in the close up. I was attempting to fix the two spots that had escaped my attention from the night before were it had spat dark paint while doing the shadows on the hand and eyes. I had found two spots one on the forehead and one on the shoulder and for the life of me I could not fix them or correct the color shift and that is why I trashed it. I wish I had a picture from last night before I had shut down because it was even further than you can see here. By the way I would not buy this paint again. Sorry Createx.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

Man that sucks! I've had some go to hell, but long before 30 hours...
  3. airbrushingferret

airbrushingferret Air-Valve Autobot!

well thats the reason i switched over to etac efx i had those problems constant ly (ALL THE TIME) thats why i should urge you to switch to etac efx. sorry to hear of your accident but i am happy to know im not the only one who had this issue it adds to the fact there's a paint issue not an artist issue and it should not be a reduction issue either, I use etac all the time in my micron straight out of the bottle also say good by to paint drying in the cup the etac efx is re wettable i did an experiment with my velocity and it proved my point i purposely left paint in the cup over night, one shot of windex ant the paint was gone and the gun was clear. also i still try the detail once in a while and it stil does the same thing last air brush paint does not neccesarily have to be water like concistancy
  4. bad65

bad65 Air-Valve Autobot!

That sucks!!!
  5. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Oh ouch! Could be worse..could have to re sand your entire work like im gonna have to do
  6. Airbrush Dreams

That is the only thing I keep telling myself is that at least it was not for a customer. It just sucks I spent $95 dollars to just through the crap away. I hate when you have A big name artist promoting this stuff and everyone has the same issue and then the company blames it on your airbrushes being dirty. Come on I now know of 5 artist that have had the same problems with this paint. Now I need to replace my E-Tac EFX and again I have no cash. Disability pay dose not go that far.
  7. rick

rick Needle-chuck Ninja

That really sucks mate, i can not get it spraying decently without reducing it 1 paint to 2-3 reducer. I work overreduced and it flows like a charm that way. Still after trieng efx i prefer etac.
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I think that looks fixable, be a bit of a pain but I don't think it's a lost cause. I'm probably saying something obvious that you've already thought of, but just in case..... is it possible there's water getting through your airline? I haven't used this paint, but some people seem to love it. It seems odd that even reduced it's not performing especially as all your brushes are good. I'd be mad too if I'd spent all that money.
  9. airbrushingferret

they are fixable a little opaque white and start over with the flesh tones the problem i re did the lower jaw areqa on my leghton missa painting and it still doesnt look the same its like retouching a spot on a custom candy and pearl one color paint job on a hot rod damn near impossible
  10. airbrushingferret

but like the squish said it does look fixable ( and yes im done with wicked) lol

and my micron is dirty all the time never take it apart just once in a while to clean and lube
  11. Airbrush Dreams

I spent 4 hours trying to fix it. Its just the paint shift around it and the dark spot kept bleeding through. I will just start a third time.
  12. contenderfan

contenderfan Spider Splatterer

being a beginer im almost unsure about saying this but im gonna say it anyway...to trash this piece over such a small thing like this is just a waste...im picky, dont get me wrong, but wow....some of you must think my works i have posted, (all practice stuff) with drips and drops must be absolute trash if this is considered ruined lol.

Airbrush Dreams...you have obvious talent and i know how discouraging things like this can be, believe me...but if you have the skill and talent to paint that, you most deffinately have the skill and talent to fix it. BEAUTIFUL work...i dont care how many spots it has...call em beauty marks! :joyous:
  13. Airbrush Dreams

I have decided to go at this one more time. Sorry I am a perfectionist when it comes to what I do. That is not that my work is perfect, but if I left this go it would bug me and it would be all I see in the portrait. I will be giving the Createx one more shot with a 2 part paint to 1 part reducer. The paper that I use dose not take well to over reduced paints. It just kills me when they put on a bottle that it is ready to use out of the bottle and Dru said he never reduces it. Please don't feel your work is not good or important. Everyone is at a different point in their journey as an artist. I have been in this journey since I was 8 years old and airbrushing since I was 17. Now I am 51 and I still feel I lack in what I expect out of myself. This time it is not my skill I am disappointed at but the paint that I invested in because of the hype of what it could do.
  14. contenderfan

I am new to AB;ing period, and certainly new to Illustration Createx paint...i certainly dont have your skill and experience so take this with a grain of salt when i offer advise. If your paper wont handle over reduced piant, try another media...i reduce the Illustration Sepia anywhere from 1 part paint and 20 parts reducer, to 1 part paint to 40 parts reducer. I use the cheapest multi media (140 lb) I can find and I love the results. Just a suggestion, I know you may not want to switch media but just seems a shame not to experiment more. best of luck!
  15. Airbrush Dreams

The paper I use is Strathmor Bristol Smooth 100 lb. and it works great for airbrush. The only thing I have noticed is if I over saturate it, it will start to buckle up a bit. What is the paper you use and I will look into it. I have been wanting to try some illustration board ( hot press ). I tried a 1 to1 mix with white and it was too watery for the way I paint. When I spoke with Createx Denis said the the white and Black have solvent in them to aid their flow but the rest of the colors do not. This is probably why they do not flow as well. I was tempted to try a drop of Windex in the paint, but I am not sure if that will affect the erase ability of the paint. I also am not sure what that will do to the paint in the brush. A possibility might be to do a drop or two of W500 reducer in with the Illustration Reducer. I think the W500 may have solvent in it. Createx said that the W500 may reduce the erase effectiveness. I just don't understand how they put on the bottle that it is ready to use straight out of the bottle if everyone I have talked to has issues with it. It is so new on the market I don't think even Createx knows all the ins and outs are of the paint. Now they have admitted that the Wicked Detail Colors did not work as well as they had hoped. I think I will contact Eddie Davis and ask his experience with it.
  16. contenderfan

AD...i have been using Strathmore Mixed Media paper 140 lb.and i get ZERO buckleing at all even when reduced 40:1. Give it a try...like i said i am a beginner, but im gettin really good results with this.
  17. airbrushingferret

etacs the way to go just got done painting for 5 hours and no clogs splats spitting or any other abnormalities
  18. ulltraz

ulltraz Needle-chuck Ninja

according to my eyes, i could live with that accident,but you are a perfectionist with your vision,so am i(look at my thread disapointed),because i would try to cover it with some paint.though i could tell you that you should stop with this project and experiment with the paint and gain some experience with it.aftewards retake it...but if it where water from the compressor, believe me that i would be using something to test the integrity of the walls.

now, i see some proportions problems with the eyes and the lips,from what i saw it is a young woman but the paint looks like she is old.may be my eyes, but thats how i saw it.

also, am with conterfan, take it easy and try to see in what conditions the paint works,always experiment with something new and donĀ“t try to anything serious or a vision in that period.

hope this helps i really do
  19. danair58

danair58 Young Tutorling

Airbrush Dreams: sorry you are having a hard time with the Createx Illustration, based on your experiences I will not order this product, and stick with my golden fluid acrylics. The Createx is damn expensive too....I have found that I can mix tube acrylics with water and then reduce as well, works well. But like any paint there is potential for problems, so on "red alert" at all times...:mad-new:
  20. Airbrush Dreams

I am going to do some testing with the paint today. Different combinations of reducer like the W500 added into the paint along with The illustration reducer. One thing I am sure of is the white and black both have solvent in them and the colors do not. Now Dru Blair is one of the developers of this paint, so I know he uses it with his color buffing method which I believe is a system of adding white and black to the colors he is painting. The more I thought about it I remembered the main colors for the flesh sprayed fairly well but when I did the shadowing and misting of reds and yellows I do not remember adding white. It is possible this paint requires the addition of the white with solvent to flow correctly. Dru can't give all his secrets away over Facebook because he makes his living from his school teaching this method. And why would he give little old me something for free.

As for proportions I did use a projector to put down my base drawing so it may be the board or projector was not perfectly aligned which can through it out of proportion.