3detail airbrushes tested

Ronald art

Air-Valve Autobot!
even though my hands are a bit shaky today and I didnt want to work on my latest airbrush painting with shaky hands I felt like testing my 3 detail airbrushes : the Iwata CM SB, the HP SB+ and the 0.3 Creos 276

now I havent used the HP SB for months now and I am just starting to get to know the Creos all 3 airbrushes more or less react the same to the trigger action and use about the same air pressure and this is the result and I know I can do a better than that when I have a good day
IMG_0102.JPG

I put together a .3 set up using a Creos nozzle in an Iwata HP-SB+, and I gotta say, that thing worked amazingly well. It would give the same kind of detail as well tuned .2 set up, but was much more forgiving with paint reduction and air pressure. Tip dry was also much less prevalent in the set up when compared directly to the .2 HP-SB+ in stock trim. Miss that brush :cry:.

Point being, the Creos is a fine performer ;).

the Creos 276 0.3 side feed is listed as a "beginner airbrush" this might well be the case due to the forgiving 0.3 nozzle set up and I can recommend it over the Iwata eclipse 0.35 any time the Creos is much easier to operate and you get much finer lines with less effort than the eclipse
I know many people use a eclipse and love this airbrush but my first airbrush was the HP SB+ followed by the CM SB and and to me the eclipse was a step backwards and I never felt the need to really use it other than for large coverage while the Creos 276 just begs to be used as a all round airbrush

I put together a .3 set up using a Creos nozzle in an Iwata HP-SB+, and I gotta say, that thing worked amazingly well. It would give the same kind of detail as well tuned .2 set up, but was much more forgiving with paint reduction and air pressure. Tip dry was also much less prevalent in the set up when compared directly to the .2 HP-SB+ in stock trim. Miss that brush :cry:.

Point being, the Creos is a fine performer ;).

Which Creos/Iwata parts do you use to convert the Iwata HP SBS + to a .3 setup??? Interested!!!!

Which Creos/Iwata parts do you use to convert the Iwata HP SBS + to a .3 setup??? Interested!!!!
On the HP-SB Plus (high performance plus) you need the newer nozzle threads, so I used a Creos 289 .3 nozzle. I kept the OEM needle and nozzle cap (I think - I will have to look through my notes to confirm that).

On the HP-SB Plus (high performance plus) you need the newer nozzle threads, so I used a Creos 289 .3 nozzle. I kept the OEM needle and nozzle cap (I think - I will have to look through my notes to confirm that).

Ok thanks. I did not think Iwata made a .3 nozzle cap for the HP SBS plus. Or did you use the .2 needle and nozzle cap? I look forward to your reply.

Ok thanks. I did not think Iwata made a .3 nozzle cap for the HP SBS plus. Or did you use the .2 needle and nozzle cap? I look forward to your reply.

I can't find my notes, so assembled a couple things to try - I am pretty sure what I did was use a Creos PS289 nozzle, and left the rest of the parts .2 OEM Iwata - If the nozzle cap is too restrictive, you can use the nozzle cap from the PS289 in .3 (I don;t have a spare 289 nozzle - but tried it just now with the Iwata .3). You can also try the PS770/771 needle. It will not protrude as far as the .2 needle will (as it has a blunter profile).

Last edited:
I can't find my notes, so assembled a couple things to try - I am pretty sure what I did was use a Creos PS289 nozzle, and left the rest of the parts .2 OEM Iwata - If the nozzle cap is too restrictive, you can use the nozzle cap from the PS289 in .3 (I don;t have a spare 289 nozzle - but tried it just now with the Iwata .3). You can also try the PS770/771 needle. It will not protrude as far as the .2 needle will (as it has a blunter profile).

Thanks a bunch Dave. I will try the PS289 nozzle first. The airbrush is due to get delivered today. I will leave it in stock form for now. I'm pretty sure it is a newer style brush. I got the last one from Merri artish on sale.

Thanks a bunch Dave. I will try the PS289 nozzle first. The airbrush is due to get delivered today. I will leave it in stock form for now. I'm pretty sure it is a newer style brush. I got the last one from Merri artish on sale.

A little while back, I too ordered an HP-SB Plus brushes from Merriartist, because the price was very good compared to other retailers.

The PS 771/770 uses a .18 needle. Are you saying use that with the .030 nozzle or the Iwata OEM .20 nozzle. Sorry for all the ???'s

Back