For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

3M Respirator Filter... Which One?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by marti-mar, Dec 20, 2015.

1. marti-mar

marti-mar Young Tutorling

I've been using a 3M Half Mask Respirator. I am noticing a chemically smell when I take it off though. The filter is 4 years old, although hardly used and was in a plastic bag in storage. I'm going to replace it to see if that helps. I want to make sure I buy a good enough filter for what I'm doing. I'm only using water based Createx paints right now. I'm not expecting that to change in the near future.

I'm currently using the 2097 P100 filter. Is that one good enough for the paints I'm using? Are the large cartridge filters for non-water based paints?

This is the one I'm using, but is old:
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-2097-Parti...0640679&sr=8-4&keywords=3m respirator filters
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Could well be the filters, start there!!
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

for water based use the HEPA filters are probably a bit of overkill, but if you have spare filters then you may as well use them up.
    As its been sitting for 4 years I'd change the filter regardless, but here is a response direct from 3M

"The useful life of filters and cartridges is not fixed. In the case of the 3M 2097 P100 (HEPA) filters, we have two elements to consider: the filter and the charcoal layer.
    The P100 HEPA (which stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Arresting) filters trap dust and particles like a strainer. Once the filters have successfully blocked a large amount of particulate matter, they still won’t let that material into your lungs. They do however start allowing less air to past through, and breathing will become more and more difficult.
    You may not notice it at first, but as the filters clog up, it will become harder to suck in a breath. Trust us, you’ll notice eventually. That’s when you know it’s time to replace the filters.
    As we mentioned, the 3M 2097 pancake filters also have a thin layer of charcoal pressed inside. The charcoal is there to absorb smells and odors. It works like a sponge. And like a sponge, there is a limit to how much it can hold. Once the filters have soaked up all the organic vapors they can, you will start to taste or smell the offending item through your mask. Once you start to smell the things you are trying to block out, it is time to change your filter."
    marti-mar likes this.
  4. markjthomson

I thought there was charcoal in them - almost guarantee that is what smells. I think it smells like off onions!
    marti-mar likes this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

yes @markjthomson, the 2097 has charcoal in them, and it would have absorbed the smell of the sweaty plastic bag while in storage.
    I'm pretty sure if you change the filter the smell will disappear, unless the other cartridges have been stored in a similar way.
    you wont need the charcoal filters for waterbased paint, the charcoal is there to absorb odour, nothing else.
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. marti-mar

Thanks for the help! I'll order up some new filters without the charcoal to avoid this problem in the future.
  7. markjthomson

The charcoal is built into the filter, charcoal is good!!
  8. marti-mar

They make a version without he charcoal. It's 2091 or the newer 2291. I'll probably try one of those this time.
    JackEb likes this.