A 12 year old?

D

Decryptionally

Hello airbrushforum, many of you have probably already seen me around and I'm pretty late on this introduction. Anyways, I'm 12 years old, hoping to be like many of you guys/girls out there with your amazing airbrush skills. All that I asked for for christmas was airbrush stuff. I got 89 colors of Angelus paint (a leather/acrylic paint meant for shoes) which was about $320. I got a HPC6060 Hyundai because it was recommended by AirbrushTutor for $300, and my excrementty, excuse my french, Neo Iwata. My mom thought it was a horrible idea and I'd quit after a week, and that I was to young and everything else. She got it anyways. Not to mention hoses, the other paint I got for paper practice, pieces for the compressor, and cleaner plus tons of other excrement I got. I'm very greatful, but I'm struggling horribly lmao. I think it's because I didn't really follow airbrushtutor and I didn't practice dots or lines or anything else for hours like most of you beginners out here did, I am deffinately going to once I get my new sotar. Anyways, I tried a couple paintings, they look like excrement. I tried doing the Cameron portrait by airburshtutor, and I didn't have green because I bought the primary colors, and I was to stupid then to make a green then the skin color. Since I couldn't make the skin color (now that I look back I could've just made green then the skin), I decided to make her skin blue LMAO. I decided she was the avatar with brown hair. I tried doing a leopard, I used blue again. Don't ask me why, I guess I just said **** it and went with it. Also looks horrible. I think if I do lines and dots, I will obviously get better, because I cannot even make a thin line LMAO. Oh, almost forgot to mention my crisis today. Dropped the needle tip thingy where the needle sits in at the front and the I guess it broke, so it wont grip on the brush. So now, my Neo's broken lmao. My mom was pretty pissed, but I ordered my Sotar today so honestly it doesn't matter. Its pretty funny, I got the sotar cheaper than the Neo LMAO. Sotar was on sale at amazon for $60. Also hoping to get a krome pretty soon. Wish me luck, I'll need it. Once again, thanks for all your support. If it weren't for some of you guys out there, I probably would've quit by now, or atleast broken like 4 airbrushes. Thanks a ton.

Welcome to the forum. 12 is not bad. There is an 11 year old on here and she is talented. Her uncle is helping tutor her. The younger you start the better off you will be.

It is frustrating for everyone i the beginning. Print like 10-15 copies of each practice sheet and do them all, with patience and effort, you will be amazed how much better control you have at the end. Yes you can doodle and do other stuff in between, hell dots and dagger are boring, but totally essential.

Right on Decrypt and welcome! Its good to see youngsters getting at it and even cooler you are here mingling and learning what you can. If you ever need help with anything, dont be afraid to ask cause theres a bunch of us here that will give a helping hand.

Hello airbrushforum, many of you have probably already seen me around and I'm pretty late on this introduction. Anyways, I'm 12 years old, hoping to be like many of you guys/girls out there with your amazing airbrush skills. All that I asked for for christmas was airbrush stuff. I got 89 colors of Angelus paint (a leather/acrylic paint meant for shoes) which was about $320. I got a HPC6060 Hyundai because it was recommended by AirbrushTutor for $300, and my excrementty, excuse my french, Neo Iwata. My mom thought it was a horrible idea and I'd quit after a week, and that I was to young and everything else. She got it anyways. Not to mention hoses, the other paint I got for paper practice, pieces for the compressor, and cleaner plus tons of other excrement I got. I'm very greatful, but I'm struggling horribly lmao. I think it's because I didn't really follow airbrushtutor and I didn't practice dots or lines or anything else for hours like most of you beginners out here did, I am deffinately going to once I get my new sotar. Anyways, I tried a couple paintings, they look like excrement. I tried doing the Cameron portrait by airburshtutor, and I didn't have green because I bought the primary colors, and I was to stupid then to make a green then the skin color. Since I couldn't make the skin color (now that I look back I could've just made green then the skin), I decided to make her skin blue LMAO. I decided she was the avatar with brown hair. I tried doing a leopard, I used blue again. Don't ask me why, I guess I just said **** it and went with it. Also looks horrible. I think if I do lines and dots, I will obviously get better, because I cannot even make a thin line LMAO. Oh, almost forgot to mention my crisis today. Dropped the needle tip thingy where the needle sits in at the front and the I guess it broke, so it wont grip on the brush. So now, my Neo's broken lmao. My mom was pretty pissed, but I ordered my Sotar today so honestly it doesn't matter. Its pretty funny, I got the sotar cheaper than the Neo LMAO. Sotar was on sale at amazon for $60. Also hoping to get a krome pretty soon. Wish me luck, I'll need it. Once again, thanks for all your support. If it weren't for some of you guys out there, I probably would've quit by now, or atleast broken like 4 airbrushes. Thanks a ton.

pretty complicated paragraph for a twelve year old.. you must be excepitionally blessed ...

pretty complicated paragraph for a twelve year old.. you must be excepitionally blessed ...

Thanks! Actually, I am signed gifted. I am in 6th grade and have to go to a private class, where I do 11th grade math. In ELA, I do 9th grade writing. Haha. Tough to do airbrushing and still have time for all the work, but I make room :)!

Also, thanks to everyone else for the warm welcomes and very thoughtful comments.

Right on Decrypt and welcome! Its good to see youngsters getting at it and even cooler you are here mingling and learning what you can. If you ever need help with anything, dont be afraid to ask cause theres a bunch of us here that will give a helping hand.

Thanks for the warm welcome and thoughtful comments. Hope to see you around some more across the forums!

Welcome to the forum. 12 is not bad. There is an 11 year old on here and she is talented. Her uncle is helping tutor her. The younger you start the better off you will be.

It is frustrating for everyone i the beginning. Print like 10-15 copies of each practice sheet and do them all, with patience and effort, you will be amazed how much better control you have at the end. Yes you can doodle and do other stuff in between, hell dots and dagger are boring, but totally essential.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well, and thanks for the tip. Will get to it right when my sotar gets here. Thanks again. Hope to see you around!

well you go you young talent.... if your painting is good as your writing....you gonna do some great work..

I was 12 once, but back then we used to airbrush through reeds pulled out of a nearby river and our paint was made from crushed beetles and ox blood, and we only had three colours, un-coagulated, coagulated and seriously coagulated, of course by mixing them together you could get some pretty cool shades, we used to have lots of fun vandalizing the local caves

And hey, 89 colours?, why not 90, tight gits, lol

I was 12 once, but back then we used to airbrush through reeds pulled out of a nearby river and our paint was made from crushed beetles and ox blood, and we only had three colours, un-coagulated, coagulated and seriously coagulated, of course by mixing them together you could get some pretty cool shades, we used to have lots of fun vandalizing the local caves

And hey, 89 colours?, why not 90, tight gits, lol

lol... how can you not love this guy...........

Wow .....12 years old is impressive.
One thing that stands out in your introduction is that you seem to have truckers mouth. Dont take this the wrong way...but do you have to swear that much?
Either way...welcome

Welcome to the Forum, I look forward to seeing your work in the future.

Be patient with your new Sotar when it comes and remember to thin the paint as it's a very finicky airbrush but once you get the reduction and air pressure right it sprays great. Also check the needle tips under a strong magnifying glass (it comes with a spare needle) because if it's bent you will need to swap it out for the straight one. A bent needle tip will cause horrible spray problems and you will think the airbrush is rubbish but it's only because the needle is damaged. It can be straightened and polished but that's another skill to learn in the future I think, so don't throw any bent needles away :)

Also put the 2 pronged needle guard on instead of the open one that the Sotar arrives with. The needles are very expensive to replace and as I said before a bent needle tip will badly effect the spray pattern, so protect it. I have made 2 pronged needle caps for ALL my airbrushes and I've never had a bent needle tip since and it doesn't effect the spray at all. I don't pick my needles clean with my fingers I use a toddlers toothbrush with airbrush cleaner on it to clear my tip-dry and it works great.

Also when you clean your Sotar you don't need to take the head apart, leave it together, it's easier to clean and it will keep it's original factory alignment. Take the 2 pronged needle cap off (take out the needle first) and then remove the whole head, then I use a long haired artists paint brush (No. 9) with airbrush cleaner on it, separate a few hairs and push them up through the back of the head till they come out the front of the nozzle. Be very gentle as this is the most important and most delicate part of the airbrush apart from the needle tip. Do this several times separating different hairs on the paint brush to push up through. Once you've cleaned the cup and needle you can put everything back to together and your done :)

By the way if you have a Sotar 0.2mm you don't really need a Krome as it is also a detail airbrush and I hear a lot of people say they don't like the 0.3mm set up in their Krome and only use the 0.2mm set up. I've never used one so other Forum members can tell you more about that. I'd look at an Iwata Eclipse 0.35mm or something with a similar needle size that will give you better coverage than a 0.2 detail airbrush will. You need a Workhorse 0.35 and a detail 0.2mm airbrush and not 2 detail airbrushes. Trust me I've been there :)

If you have any questions about your Sotar ask away, I'll do my best to help as will our Forum mates.
Cheers Mel

Tough to do airbrushing and still have time for all the work, but I make room :)!

Also, thanks to everyone else for the warm welcomes and very thoughtful comments.

Welcome to the forum!
Wait til you work 70 hours a week with two jobs and a family. :)

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania, it is fantastic if at your age you are able to grasp the knowledge and utilize it well. Youngsters tend to lose interest quickly and heck some of old fogies as well, now at age 56 I wish I would have persued this many years ago. lol There are only two words I will say to you....."PATIENCE" and "PRACTICE" !!!!! Patience young grasshopper you must use to defeat the evil paint / reduction nemesis, and practice you will need to do to become one with the weapon (airbrush) of your choosing. If you complete these two tasks along your journey, your reward will be an endless buffet of artistic adventures. LMAO sorry for the movie referencing, I guess I watch too much TV !

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania, it is fantastic if at your age you are able to grasp the knowledge and utilize it well. Youngsters tend to lose interest quickly and heck some of old fogies as well, now at age 56 I wish I would have persued this many years ago. lol There are only two words I will say to you....."PATIENCE" and "PRACTICE" !!!!! Patience young grasshopper you must use to defeat the evil paint / reduction nemesis, and practice you will need to do to become one with the weapon (airbrush) of your choosing. If you complete these two tasks along your journey, your reward will be an endless buffet of artistic adventures. LMAO sorry for the movie referencing, I guess I watch too much TV !

I agree with you on starting this back in the day , But the old Paasch VL was about top of the line back then and it was over 100 dollars for that brush , Still have that old VL and it still shoots great I just love gravity feed more:D

I forgot to say in my previous post that you will need a Badger M5 to 1/8th air hose adapter to be able to use your Sotar as it doesn't come with one.

In the first picture the Badger M5 adapter is the bronze piece under the Sotar
Sotar with M5 connector 400dpi.jpg Here's a link; Amazon.com: Badger Air-Brush Company Iwata Hose Adaptor: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
In the second picture you can see the bronze Badger M5 to 1/8th air hose adapter fitted to the Sotar with a 1/8th air hose beneath.
Sotar with M5 connector and hose 400dpi.jpg
In the third picture you can see the Sotar with M5 Adapter, a quick release female and quick release male fitted to a 1/8th air hose.
Sotar with M5 connector-Quick Release and hose 400dpi.jpg

I would recommend you get a quick release as it makes it a lot easier to take off your airbrush to clean or swap airbrushes. You can also get a quick release with a MAC air pressure control fitted so you can make air pressure adjustments on the fly.
Here is a link to a Quick Release with MAC air pressure valve; Amazon.com: Airbrush Quick Release Disconnect Coupling Coupler with MAC Valve, 1/8" Adapter Fitting: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Cheers Mel

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:loyal:

Back