A Beginner's Beginner

S

StoneAngel

Hey guys,

not even so much a beginner as a haven't-yet-begunner. I've always wanted to do airbrushing but back when I worked as a graphic artist I had no way of setting up by myself or affording the equipment. Life got in the way; now my kids are all 18 and over, I have the time and resources to follow a direction that pulled at me many years ago.

I'm looking to go do one of Mick Neill's beginner courses, then extend from there (the 'real flame' class looks amazing - that's definitely a must-do).

Funnily enough, getting back into this occurred to me because I have a 1990 Ford F250 pickup, and it's fine - it's the 7.5L petrol V8 XLT Lariat, so it's got the burgundy red and silver paint job and red plush interior. But the paintwork, while sound, is just a little... well, boring. At the very least I want to redo that slightly dull burgundy a nice crisp candy apple red and turn the greyish silver into something with a lot more gleam.

I have to confess, when it comes to paint finishes, I have all the taste and restraint of a magpie on acid - crackle finishes, metallics, glitter, bring 'em on! (Well, OK, some of the bigger glitters can look a bit crap but why bother when there are so many alternatives?)

I'm a writer and blogger, DIY and upcycling enthusiast (for that, read: I'm a menace with power tools and I like thinking of different ways to use old stuff... or any stuff), I'm married to Thinking Man and I have three daughters, three dogs, five cats and two bloody rabbits that are not technically mine but which I somehow end up feeding and talking to. I live in Northumberland in the UK.

Anybody wants to see my old blog from 2012-13 when I was doing the Highland Games Heavy Events (tossing the caber and so forth), just type "throwingmyweightsaround" into a search engine all in one word, that should find it for you. I'd post a link but as a newbie to the forum I know I can't do that yet. :)

Enough blathering! Hi everybody. Glad to be here.

HI and welcome, looking forward to see you develop. It's a really fun game and really the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. There may be threads already dealing with the question so you may get directed there. Sounds like you've already got your head around paints to some extent so that will serve you well! Welcome indeed!

I have all the taste and restraint of a magpie on acid -

I'm a writer and blogger, DIY and upcycling enthusiast (for that, read: I'm a menace with power tools and I like thinking of different ways to use old stuff... or any stuff), .

Anybody wants to see my old blog from 2012-13 when I was doing the Highland Games Heavy Events (tossing the caber and so forth), just type "throwingmyweightsaround" into a search engine

Enough blathering! Hi everybody. Glad to be here.

lollollol With statements like that You're gonna fit in just fine around here

Welcome to your new family :laugh::laugh:

You sound like you walk your own path Stoneangel, you will do well here, I too like to find new uses for old things, under my desk at work is a bed spring from the factory next door, I just know Ill find some use for it someday!! Amongst other junk at home also. Welcome from NC !

Hi Stoneangel, welcome to the family from down on the south coast :) You took the best first step to ABing ever by joining here. /all the advice you'll ever need with hopefully a few chuckles along the way.

So hopefully your spaced out magpie tendencies haven't just seen any old airbrush and gone....'ooooohhhh shiny'.....and just grabbed it. Lol :D If you let us know what type of thing you hope to be painting/painting on we can advise a brush and paints etc to suit, and hopefully save you some time and moolah, or suggest good companies to buy from.

Welcome to the forum StoneAngel, you are in the right place to learn and improve. You will be ok with Mick, I've known him quite a while and been on and also assisted on his fire course. I have a couple of pics in my gallery from the fire class I think.

Lee

hopefully your spaced out magpie tendencies haven't just seen any old airbrush and gone....'ooooohhhh shiny'.....and just grabbed it. Lol :D If you let us know what type of thing you hope to be painting/painting on we can advise a brush and paints etc to suit, and hopefully save you some time and moolah, or suggest good companies to buy from.
Thanks Squishy! Being right at the start, I haven't decided which shiny object to grab yet! I'm probably going to be doing mostly automotive stuff, at least to start with, but I want to be able to (say) repaint my front door in high custom style, revamp the composite exterior of my camper, and still have an option on fine art miniatures... is that asking too much from any one brush?
Oooh, first question! LOL

Thanks Squishy! Being right at the start, I haven't decided which shiny object to grab yet! I'm probably going to be doing mostly automotive stuff, at least to start with, but I want to be able to (say) repaint my front door in high custom style, revamp the composite exterior of my camper, and still have an option on fine art miniatures... is that asking too much from any one brush?
Oooh, first question! LOL

That's asking too much from any one person, lol, especially this one ha ha ha

But seriously, if you really want to do all that look at brushes that have head size choices, meaning tow in one brushes that you can change the nozzle size on, it's that or a selection of brushes for different purposes.

I will stay my usual predictable self and say to look at the Iwata eclipse. It's not the cheapest (nor the most expensive by far), but is a lot of brush for the money, with the added bonus of being super versatile, and also great to learn on. And you won't quickly outgrow it. For a reliable, versatile workhorse that's easy to clean and strip down (compared to some that ccan be pretty fiddly), with consistant good quality you can't go wrong. It's .35 nozzle is big enough to be a bit more forgiving when reducing paints, but also capable of really fine lines and detail when you get to know it. I used one exclusively for over 2 1/2 years for everything from automotive large (artwork only, for basecoats etc I use a mini hvlp) and small scale, to the 5 x 7 inch artworks we do in our paintpal events, and baseball caps, which is a fairly small area to work in.

I bought a Badger Krome to learn on and it has a steep learning curve, like trying to learn to drive in a Ferrari!
I wish I would have bought an Iwata instead, which I will be getting one ASAP!!!

I think some people just get on better with some brushes better than others. I know people love the Krome, I haven't tried one, although I held one and didn't feel comfortable. As soon as I got the Iwata, it all started to come together for me.

Hi stoneangel, dont buy anything yet until you've been to Mick Neil's, you will get discount, where abouts are you from?, must be midlands based I'm guessing. Oh and another welcome from the UK, lol :thumbsup:
ah!! just read your post again... got it LOL

I think some people just get on better with some brushes better than others. I know people love the Krome, I haven't tried one, although I held one and didn't feel comfortable. As soon as I got the Iwata, it all started to come together for me.
Yeah I think your right, I dolove the Krome, (she's my first!) but I would like a brush that's a little easier to use, you have to have your paint reduction just right, pressure just right, technique just right, lol, but still an awesome brush.

Back