a lesson on compressors..if you'd be so kind :)

H

Hudson1984

morning all, just after a touch of advice.

I've been looking at air tools as I do like to do mechanical stuff too - as you may have read I'm currently restoring my motorbike.

so was wondering if I could get a bigger compressor and still run the airbrush from it?

my garage is longer than standard and has a brick dividing wall separating a back section. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a bigger compressor in there and run an airline through the wall into the main garage, with a line for tools and a line for the airbrush via a regulator I assume

any thoughts on this? or should I just get a different compressor for air tools

my mate was running off his huge garage compressor with no problem... he just used it the same as a small one.... lasts ages between refills lol

Of course you can, how well your airbrush can work has nothing to do with size of your compressor, all that's important is that you stay under the maximum pressure your airbrush can withstand, and that's what your regulator is for, you can put an extra regulator in your work area close to your airbrush, either attached to your bench or with bracket on the wall, as well giving extra protection, you can adjust your pressure without walking to the compressor.

my thoughts were essentially to run an airline through the wall - have a split in the line, one to my bench for the AB and one to the other side for tools. Regulator on each, then keep the regulator on the compressor set slightly higher than required, set the AB reg to where it needs to be, and the reg for Tools where it needs to be.

that way I don't need a really expensive silent compressor as it's in its own room and I can pick something else up.

if that all works then fantastic!

my thoughts were essentially to run an airline through the wall - have a split in the line, one to my bench for the AB and one to the other side for tools. Regulator on each, then keep the regulator on the compressor set slightly higher than required, set the AB reg to where it needs to be, and the reg for Tools where it needs to be.

that way I don't need a really expensive silent compressor as it's in its own room and I can pick something else up.

if that all works then fantastic!

That's all you need to do, you don't need any other compressor unles you would be working anywhere else other than in your garage, if you think the compressor is making to much noise when you work you could sound insulate the compressor space with acoustic tiles.

awesome! that brings costs down.

not going to do it immediately but good to know it's possible. i'll get my dots under my belt first lol.

I think I'll finish my bike and make the garage itself the next project - it's getting there but more to do for sure

awesome! that brings costs down.

not going to do it immediately but good to know it's possible. i'll get my dots under my belt first lol.

I think I'll finish my bike and make the garage itself the next project - it's getting there but more to do for sure

LOL, I just turned one of my bedrooms into my purpose built studio so I can tell you from experience that when you know why your doing doing it, it really is a fun project, be sure to think about extraction methods for in the winter with everything closed, the rest is just a little careful planning and fun.

You can always ask for tips here once your ready to get started.

cheers madbrush, will do indeed.

my new brush should be with me tomorrow but have to wait till Thursday for my cleaner :'( then I can do a little painting.

annoyingly the bike wasn't ready this weekend so i'll be doing mostly that at the weekend which has put me back a bit but hopefully in a couple of weeks the bike will be done and my spare time can be all AB :) once I get into that frame of mind then I think the garage project will commence.

extraction shouldn't be too tricky - there is a window at the back of the garage and a window separating the workshop from the garage so could easily add a couple of fans for when the door is shut but tbh it's not too bad with a door open

Back