A photocopy line drawing?

erwin de pan

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I was watching Blair's class progress. And it struck me how detailed and light the drawing is.
So I asked and was confirmed that the drawing is copied onto the blair paper.
I say drawing but can see it's an edited photo.
Can someone tell me how they do that?

I believe Dru teaches his techiniques using Topaz software - but, do not know the specifics. Pretty sure if it was meant to be public, he would publish the exact steps he teaches himself. I also beleive that he and a few others I know that use the method use Epson printers. You will need an ink that will dry on the synthetic paper. I have a cannon pro100, and its ink will not dry on the surfcae, and if printed too dark will pretty much just run...

Part of my brain objects to lines being printed prior to painting, it feels like you’re just colouring in. The other part of my brain says it’s just a way to get the end product and it’s not much different to laying down landmarks by spraying through a cut paper stencil. (Which I do)
So whatever you think will get you to a great end product is fine by me :)
I can also understand that in a classroom environment it’s more efficient to have the artwork laid out and get the students painting.
There are several software options to generate line drawings. Topaz , gimp, photoshop to name a few

JackEb,
I know what you mean.
When I first started I used the square pattern to draw.
Then a projector.
Now graphite paper.
Every step forward also feels like a step back.
Maybe I'll never try it, but I'm curious how it works.
Also don't have a printer for larger than A4.:(

If you first have to draw the image it will take a lot of time. If it's a freestyle design it is fine. You can roughly sketch in the composition and build up everything with the airbrush. But a portrait needs to be spot on with its ratios and tracing is the best method. For class purposes it is fine to print out the image as I think you are basically only teaching how to colour in.

what i use for tracing, a light table, it's basic a box with glass on top and the bottom is a lamp, i did mine, with straight lamp led and the box covers with white paper on top the glass, and them u print the image, and put your drawing paper on top printed image, than turn on light, and start to trace.
About sizes bigger than a4, u can print the image in separate a4 papers, example in case of a3, a3 is 2 sheets of a4 than using tape align and stick the two papers and then u have a3 ready to trace.
the video on previous answer using adobe photoshop i tend to use, save ink from my printer.
the problem with light box is the more thicker the paper the worse is to be visible the outlines, i use drawing paper, canson xl bristol 82 lbs works fine, hahnemuhle bristol has 120 lbs start to get hard to see but still good. anything more heavy paper u wont see much, but a fix for that is use a brighter lamp, i use 600 lumens a lamp, something more lumens with be better.

I would like to know the Topaz technique as well. I have the software just not sure how to correctly use it

You can also use your computer monitor in high brightness mode to translate an image by holding a piece of paper up to it and tracing around the desired picture. Works well with thin and medium paper ;) :thumbsup:

Part of my brain objects to lines being printed prior to painting, it feels like you’re just colouring in. The other part of my brain says it’s just a way to get the end product and it’s not much different to laying down landmarks by spraying through a cut paper stencil. (Which I do)
So whatever you think will get you to a great end product is fine by me :)
I can also understand that in a classroom environment it’s more efficient to have the artwork laid out and get the students painting.
There are several software options to generate line drawings. Topaz , gimp, photoshop to name a few
I agree with you Jackie, well said. This is something I have a dilemma with often.

Back