A question about polishing needles...

If anyone has the battery/electric eraser from foxy studio it has all sorts of adapters, on which fits the needles and being an eraser the speed isn’t high

I’ve often thought about mounting the dremmel and using a polishing wheel so that I can hold the needle against it rather than putting the needle in the dremmel. No idea if that would work, but I have an old eclipse needle earmarked for testing.

That was one of my thoughts.
The reason being that when you spin the needle any micro scratches are around the needle circumference. Using a mop will have the micro scratches running the length of the needle and may help with the flow of air/paint

If anyone has the battery/electric eraser from foxy studio it has all sorts of adapters, on which fits the needles and being an eraser the speed isn’t high

When I polish a needle, I am always pulling it away from the point/tip, while maintaining pressure against the angle. It never just sits in one place and turns. Scuffing is always a spiral towards the tip...

I’ve often thought about mounting the dremmel and using a polishing wheel so that I can hold the needle against it rather than putting the needle in the dremmel. No idea if that would work, but I have an old eclipse needle earmarked for testing.
Two thoughts on that..
Applying the needle tip to a moving wheel might make it harder to get consistent results around the entire needle. It would be up to you to apply even pressure at the same angle while turning the needle. We are talking about polishing compound here, so it may not be an issue.
Also, you would have to make sure the needle doesn't wander over to the wrong side of the wheel rotation. If it does and the tip grabs...well, that could be bad.

Two thoughts on that..
Applying the needle tip to a moving wheel might make it harder to get consistent results around the entire needle. It would be up to you to apply even pressure at the same angle while turning the needle. We are talking about polishing compound here, so it may not be an issue.
Also, you would have to make sure the needle doesn't wander over to the wrong side of the wheel rotation. If it does and the tip grabs...well, that could be bad.
Good thinking on both counts Dude. I think I’m good as far as the wrong side of the wheel goes, but totally agree it’s something to be careful about. But agree I’m less confident about the consistent results part. I guess I’m banking on the diamond paste I have being gentle enough. But that’s the gamble and also why I’m trying with a junk needle first lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back