AB cleaner and reducer are the same ?

Diegojavbau

Air-Valve Autobot!
1-Never
2-always
3-sometimes

Yesterday I buy a bottle of Iwata com-art opaque black and when I ask for reducer , the sold me an AB cleaner bottle .

no they are not the same thing brother.....a cleaner breaks down paint, infact at low pressure you can use cleaner to erase paint from your canvas.....this will do your paint and art work no good if you use it as reducer

How do you use it to erase paint? Apply at low pressure with the AB and wipe it or something? I was going to use an eraser.. I have yet to find the tricks to fix mistakes.. Trying to cover it back up with the same color doesn't seem to work all the time and its hard to erase when you have multiple layers of opaque colors.

you can not ready use it for large areas, nor does it work so well for dark areas, but lets say you where doing a portrait and maybe you where a couple of layers in, so your darkest areas where maybe a mid grey colour, lets say you painted an eyelash in completely the wrong direction, you could empty your paint cup, clean your brush, then put some cleaner in your brush, set your psi to about 2 or 3 get real real close and just gently (task gently) spray so little cleaner on the line, it will knock it back a shade or 2....obviously cleaner iss more eatery than paint, do you have to be careful not to apply so much that you may get a drip form.....you don't want it running down your canvas......imagine you where using it like a little sandblaster or glass etcher

All thinner is reducer. Not all reducer is thinner.
Thinners great for cleaning and cutting, but will dull out gloss anything after exposed to sunlight for a while.
Reducer is more of a chemically binding thinner, meaning it breaks down the properties to a point, but doesn't eliminate any of the binding chemicals or pigment to the point where its useless.
Always use reducer thats reccomended by whichever paint manufacturer your using, as some require a bit more than other.
Not sure if its available for small batches but theres also high, mid-temp and cool weather reducer.

This is all based off of my experience with aoutomotive 1 and 2 stage paint,clearcoat/basecoat, and should not be taken as law.

don't use thinner for water based paints though, can not remember which of the legendary young men it was but either madbrush or mr micron said laquer thinner turns water based paint to a gluey goo, so should not be used for reducing our cleaning out water based

Com-art does not have a reducer. I only use water to reduce but I use their medium to make paint transparent but then use water again to reduce.

don't use thinner for water based paints though, can not remember which of the legendary young men it was but either madbrush or mr micron said laquer thinner turns water based paint to a gluey goo, so should not be used for reducing our cleaning out water based

That would most likely have been Mr Micron, but it is indeed correct, only water based reducers and cleaners or water should be used for water based paints, looking at it the other way round, trying to mix water with uro clears would turn them into mayonnaise (technical term used at some garages), the same thing happens when you get moisture in your car's oil, perfect evidence that oil and water don't mix.

Back