E’tac issues

GregStith

Air-Valve Autobot!
As much satisfaction as there is when finishing a project, I’m getting really tired of having hassles with almost every project. As soon as I start to get a routine in order then something else happens. Seems like maybe learning to paint with a hairy brush might be more suited for me.
The issue is now a paint problem. I haven’t used my Etac titanium white in a while and now it’s all separated. I’ve used a stirrer in it and shook the daylight out of it but it’s still not smooth. It has a bunch of solids still not mixing. Anyone else had this issue?

I've had to toss out $80 quarts of paint because they sat for a year and even 45 min in a paint shaker couldn't make them work right again.

Of course you could strain it and probably just suffer a bit of pigment concentration loss.
Possibly add a bit of flow improver or base if that doesn't totally do the trick.
Just some things to try if it seems totally toast.

Now that sucks Greg. I just checked some of mine and the CI was seperated and it is a new bottle of white. Etac seemed ok though.
That is why I have mostly gone to black and white and can use up the black fairly quickly so it doesn't go bad.
Most of the things I am working on is with black ink anyway. Not a problem with that yet.

What a *#<###!!! !! JOKE!! It’s like cottage cheese. If a bottle of water based paint ruins after less than two years in a climate controlled environment then I’ll just give up this hobby. I don’t paint enough to use a bottle up any quicker.

That reminds me- I got some bottles of Faskolor that I really need to use up. Someone should start a Gofundme page for "Buy this poor, overworked, neglected truck driver an RC body" Won't you please donate today and save the life of a poor, innocent bottle of paint?

"All I ever wanted in life was to make a body look great!" -Faskolor Green, age 4

Ok ok its bedtime

I mean a bottle costs what $5 though. You can replace a whole set for $20. Ammortized over a year or two 1.50 a month maybe for set. Its not so bad to me.

I mean a bottle costs what $5 though. You can replace a whole set for $20. Ammortized over a year or two 1.50 a month maybe for set. Its not so bad to me.
This size was 4oz. $12.95 plus shipping costs. That’s not cost effective. If the paint has a shelf life then the supplier needs to state that so the customer can buy much smaller quantities.

This size was 4oz. $12.95 plus shipping costs. That’s not cost effective. If the paint has a shelf life then the supplier needs to state that so the customer can buy much smaller quantities.
True, I haven't seen too many mfgs publish a recommended shelf life, which they really should.

I think the problem is that there are so many variables, even between different colors of the same line of paint, that they really dont know what its going to do. How old exactly is this bottle? Did you possibly do something to contaminate it? It could be a bad batch of paint.

I am learning very quickly not to buy large bottles! I just dont use the stuff up enough. But a professional artist might go thru my paint supply in a week...

I think the problem is that there are so many variables, even between different colors of the same line of paint, that they really dont know what its going to do. How old exactly is this bottle? Did you possibly do something to contaminate it? It could be a bad batch of paint.

I am learning very quickly not to buy large bottles! I just dont use the stuff up enough. But a professional artist might go thru my paint supply in a week...
Maybe but like me i bill all the supplies for the job and keep the leftovers. Most of the time if i have to toss something it was already paid for anyhow.

It’s less than two years old. It worked fine last time I used it. It’s just sat in a climate controlled room since.

Have you tried adding reducer to it to help desolve the paint sometimes that works for me
This reduces with water. I’ve added plenty to no avail.
I think I’m just going to step away from this hobby for a while, then finish this last commission piece and only paint for myself after that.
Thanks guys.

the shelf life of etac EFX and PS is very long I have paints that are over 10 years old and still perfect ( old stock paints I picked up cheap ) and I am using a efx titanium white that I bought in a 32 oz bottle about 9 years ago without any problems.
I know there is only one thing that will kill the paint and that is temps below zero .
the Reduce base is nothing more than the transparent paint without pigments so that could solve the problem you have if it doesnt solve it contact Etac and ask them

Sometimes a break is good , I myself never had any good luck with Etac even when it was new. But being so many have had great results with it I just figured it had to be me .
But like you I noticed it having chunky bits in it.Straining did not help must , Reducing then straining same thing. So I either got a bad batch or someplace in the paints life it had gotten frozen.

the shelf life of etac EFX and PS is very long I have paints that are over 10 years old and still perfect ( old stock paints I picked up cheap ) and I am using a efx titanium white that I bought in a 32 oz bottle about 9 years ago without any problems.
I know there is only one thing that will kill the paint and that is temps below zero .
the Reduce base is nothing more than the transparent paint without pigments so that could solve the problem you have if it doesnt solve it contact Etac and ask them
This paint worked fine the few times I used it. It’s been in my basement studio that stays 58-68F year round.
I emailed Etac yesterday. Hopefully I’ll hear back at the first of the week.

Back