AC Art Academy : anyone familiar with their classes?

*MRC*

Double Actioner
I'm thinking about throwing some cash at online airbrush classes. Not ready to pull the trigger, but definitely thinking about it!

Anyone familiar with AC Art Academy and the classes they (he?) have started offering online. I've signed to their mailing list and they've recently offered a 'smokey skull' class, which looks quite interesting. How might they compare to Dru Blair's 'Classroom In A Box' series of offerings, or something similar.

I'm sure both have their benefits but wondering if anyone can speak to either, especially AC Art Academy because it seems to be new?

You couldn't go far wrong with our very own @musicmacd classes :)

Plus one for MusicMacD or you can do Daniel Powers Airbrush boot camp, very reasonable cost, it will teach correct technique and consistent results so you can go ahead and paint what your heart desires.
Daniel Powers Airbrush Bootcamp

I've done a few of the 'classroom in a box' from Dru, they're not cheap and will teach you how to do the project in the box. Two I found useful were 'hair' and the 'eye' if you want to learn proper technique etc you need to do one of his classes.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Of the offerings the bootcamp seems more attractive to me at this time. Jack, if you don't mind sharing some of your experiences with the 'camp and how it helped I'd appreciate it. Still at the info-gathering gathering stage for these sorts of things.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Of the offerings the bootcamp seems more attractive to me at this time. Jack, if you don't mind sharing some of your experiences with the 'camp and how it helped I'd appreciate it. Still at the info-gathering gathering stage for these sorts of things.
Apart from the cost effectiveness of it, it focuses on correct tecnique and consistency. Although it is aimed at total beginners there is great info in there. It is the 'new and improved' version of his very popular DVD's of many years ago.

I signed up because like many, I couldn't afford the classes available at the time when I first picked up an airbrush so I just jumped in the deep end and no doubt am doing it wrong, and with recently breaking my shoulder and other life events I was off the airbrush for nearly two years and needed a way to get back into it. There are a few on here that have also joined up , @SiRoxx is one so I'm sure he will happily give you some insight too.

I will add that the course isn't currently complete. Part way through it Daniel suffered some health issues that put the whole course on hold. He is now starting to get back to it and has some great plans for future courses.

As Jacki said in also signed up with Dan Powers. So far I think the content is great for beginners / intermediate. Hell, I’m sure advanced folks would find something useful, but I can’t speak for that.
Any of the options mentioned will doubtless help people advance.

this is one of the airbrush artists i followed quite closely, i loved his style of animal paintings - you should check them out he was really talented at painting tigers and stuff like that.. i think he got more into the fine art world than most airbrush artists do, and it really started to eat at him, its a bit of a brutal world when you get to selling in galleries etc, . he really lost his want and love for painting and end of last year quit creating art. I have not seen anywhere that hes started painting again, but i think now hes more focused on selling his lessons and tutorials, but none of that takes away from the fact hes a really good artist and probably has some really good skills and techniques.

as others have said check out some of the artists on here that also sell lessons music mac ds work is amazing, i'm equally a fan of what he creates along with Ac art studios, Marrissa Oosterlee shes a Spanish artist who offers workshops and lessons they are all on that dru blair level of painting. and also theres Dru Blair- he does classroom in a box. these guys are all in the photo realism realm if thats what you are after learning.

i've never done a course or classroom thingy, its something i have thought about but just never given myself the funds to follow up or do, when i put money into my art it is always by buying paint and upgrading equipment, or it goes on personal stull like renovating the house , fixing my constantly falling down art studio lol etc, so i never prioritize doing any training or lessons. they do look intresting though and i do occasionally Think of taking one on to see if i can learn new stuff and improve some techniques.

if you do a lesson are you going to write an update about it? , i think it will be really interesting to see how you found it and how it helped your art journey.

Bex, I haven't decided if I can really afford it. The value is there but the cash isn't. My wife & I are discussing it.
I would certainly do a review of any class to share here with everyone. At the moment, Dan Powers' course is 297 USD which in CAD (I'm in Canada) is a chunk of change.

He replied to my email inquiring about the course. As @JackEb mentioned, he had some health setbacks and will be adding to the course in the future. So, buying in now means whatever is added on comes 'free'. I've read very positive reviews of his current course and older DVD set.

The Blair-style classroom in a box products are very attractive, but I'm still a giant airbrush noob. The boxes look sexy & there's a strong pull to buy something like that, but I need to start with the basics. I'd really just like to be able to use an airbrush as a complement to what I'm already doing, so I'm a bit uncertain about what I'd like to achieve. This adds a bit of hesitation at spending large sums on a course. It may be better to just mess around but again, I'm not sure.

PS: @JackEb, please accept my apologies for the 'gentlemen' comment! 🙃

I can't say enough about the Dan Powers Classes, I have many customers who have signed up for it. He really does take you to the next level, breaking it down and helping to make sense of it all. I believe if you sign up you should also get a special discount code for a purchase from your Canadian Supplier, Maple Airbrush Supplies (me).

Bex, I haven't decided if I can really afford it. The value is there but the cash isn't. My wife & I are discussing it.
I would certainly do a review of any class to share here with everyone. At the moment, Dan Powers' course is 297 USD which in CAD (I'm in Canada) is a chunk of change.

He replied to my email inquiring about the course. As @JackEb mentioned, he had some health setbacks and will be adding to the course in the future. So, buying in now means whatever is added on comes 'free'. I've read very positive reviews of his current course and older DVD set.

The Blair-style classroom in a box products are very attractive, but I'm still a giant airbrush noob. The boxes look sexy & there's a strong pull to buy something like that, but I need to start with the basics. I'd really just like to be able to use an airbrush as a complement to what I'm already doing, so I'm a bit uncertain about what I'd like to achieve. This adds a bit of hesitation at spending large sums on a course. It may be better to just mess around but again, I'm not sure.

you already create wonderful art with other mediums, you just need to learn how to use the airbrush effectively and consistently, and that is what Daniels course is aimed at. Gaining consistent control over the tool so you know how to paint what is needed.

The classroom kits from Dry are good but you'll only be learning how to paint that specific effect in the box, they're not designed as a fundamental course.

I know money is tight for many but I really do feel that Daniels course will be your best choice to learn the new tool in your arsenal.
I know I sound like a fan girl (and take no insult from your 'gentlemen' comment) but it is truely a course to teach technique and not just pretty effects.

PS. I receive no kick backs from recommending/suggesting any products on this forum.

completely understand that . :) if you do ever take up a class let us all know which one and how it goes.
its something i've thought about to progress skills but i also just don't route funds that way, They are all al good chunk of money and that always feels like it should go elsewhere.

if you are after cheaper options to progress skills there are some good youtube channels out there you can pick up a lot from watching timelapses and theres also a few guys do tutorial based videos and paint along with me type videos. they are always helpful., probaly not as indepth learning as a classroom type tutorial but you can still pick up a lot of info if you follow along.
you never stop learning and improving. the best thing you can do is just keep painting, and trying and keep challenging yourself and you will progress. :)

There are a lot of helpful people right here in the forum also some downloads for practicing can ne printed out to help with learning how to control your airbrush,if your short on cash(as most of us are) look on utube for some guidance, I learned from this forum and still find helpful information here if I need something answered here's a few pictures to show what I've learned from the people on here20230409_093631.jpgFB_IMG_1689343740456.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_8175460011957135055.jpg
    FB_IMG_8175460011957135055.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
Very nice work 😍
Sometimes I'm not aware of how lucky I am to have the Internet and all the good information on it. I cannot imagine how hard it had to be for those who started many years ago, I don't know if there are any threads about the beginning of members here. I'm curious about it.

I'm thinking about throwing some cash at online airbrush classes. Not ready to pull the trigger, but definitely thinking about it!

Anyone familiar with AC Art Academy and the classes they (he?) have started offering online. I've signed to their mailing list and they've recently offered a 'smokey skull' class, which looks quite interesting. How might they compare to Dru Blair's 'Classroom In A Box' series of offerings, or something similar.

I'm sure both have their benefits but wondering if anyone can speak to either, especially AC Art Academy because it seems to be new?
I’ve done this course, it is really good Andy is offering more courses as time goes by I recommend his courses

you already create wonderful art with other mediums, you just need to learn how to use the airbrush effectively and consistently, and that is what Daniels course is aimed at. Gaining consistent control over the tool so you know how to paint what is needed.

The classroom kits from Dry are good but you'll only be learning how to paint that specific effect in the box, they're not designed as a fundamental course.

I know money is tight for many but I really do feel that Daniels course will be your best choice to learn the new tool in your arsenal.
I know I sound like a fan girl (and take no insult from your 'gentlemen' comment) but it is truely a course to teach technique and not just pretty effects.

PS. I receive no kick backs from recommending/suggesting any products on this forum.
Gosh!! That's really tempting me!! 😖

Ive done the tiger course and found it very informative especially for the price. It is very reasonable compared to others.

After completing the tiger course i did my own from a different reference and am very pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Tiger1.jpg
    Tiger1.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 10
Back