Acetone

otpowell

Double Actioner
Is acetone bad for an airbrush? Just curious.. I use nail polish remover and sometimes run it through my brush. Any cons to this or using just straight acetone?

Acetone should not really hurt the airbrush, May take the chrome off a little faster , But make sure you keep tabs on any rubber o-rings.
I have only used acetone when I first started and was using testors enamel model paint and that was in my old VL.
But I would only use it if you are spraying enamel paint. or mineral spirits.

Well, I was using mineral spirits to thin, when I noticed that the testors fluorescent paints don't thin well with mineral spirits. I bought some testors thinner, and that worked fine for thinning the paint, however neither the thinner or lacquer thinner worked well for cleaning the paint out of the airbrush. Wasn't till I used nail polish remover, that it cleaned well. So I was thinking, if that works, I wonder how well straight acetone would work. Thanks Herb. I probably will use it sparingly based off of your response.

Well, I was using mineral spirits to thin, when I noticed that the testors fluorescent paints don't thin well with mineral spirits. I bought some testors thinner, and that worked fine for thinning the paint, however neither the thinner or lacquer thinner worked well for cleaning the paint out of the airbrush. Wasn't till I used nail polish remover, that it cleaned well. So I was thinking, if that works, I wonder how well straight acetone would work. Thanks Herb. I probably will use it sparingly based off of your response.

well you could have used the RU311 it should work great but we both know not really affordable for cleaning an airbrush.

I use acetone all the time while cleaning between colors with uro's. yes the chrome comes of a little quicker but it's not noticeably faster. But micron called it, don't get it on a rubber oring. But it does cut the paint faster and easier with uro's only. Don't use it with water based, it will turn it to a gummy mess. Then your really gonna be cleaning your airbrush to get that out.

Josh

Depends on what the O-ring is made of..Most shld be able to deal with it fine, if its a viton o-ring, not a good idea to use acetone. Neoprene which is likely the standard, shld be able to cope fine but as Herb mentioned, keep tabs on em just in case..

well you could have used the RU311 it should work great but we both know not really affordable for cleaning an airbrush.

Why does URO reducer work with enamel paint? Because they are basically the same solvent (petroleum based) just a little different? Is HOK paint urethane 'enamel'? I'm learning but there lots of things I do not fully understand.

Back