Acrylics... Good or bad?

S

Sakki

Hello everyone.

I've been working with acrylics on canvas and having a lot of fun but it's hard to pick a brand that doesn't dries inside of my airbrush. I tried to add water and stuff but I am still having problems with paint going dry. Any suggestion?

Thank you all.

Not knowing what brand you are using, a few of the more common options are adding modifyers(slows drying) and or lowering air pressure to anywhere from 5 psi to 15 psi (actual spraying pressure), high air pressure will aid in drying the paint.

Hi Sakki my friend, as already said you really need to gives some more information on what brand of paints you are using:)

I use "Pebeo" which has high viscosity and "Venus"... with water. This are paints used for artworks in canvas with brush. Maybe it's because I use 20 psi, haven't tried less psi. Do you think that will be the solution? I will try it tomorrow morning cause neighbors hate the air compressor lol

I don't think there are brands uniquely for airbrushing here in Ecuador. Airbrush is not commonly used that's why I'm very exited. I want people to know more about airbrush artworks.

Maybe it's because of the air pressure I'll try it tomorrow thank you very much. And as I said in my last reply I use pebeo and Venus. Those are commonly used for artworks in canvas with brush ... kind of a classic style artworks.

Also, the acrylics that commonly come in tube form are not meant for airbrush even though a few say you can. The pigment is too large and wont spray well in an airbrush...it will constantly clog up. I'm not familiar with that brand just in case that is similar to what you are using.

Hairy brush acrylics sometimes don't have the pigments ground small enough to work consistently through an airbrush.
I personally would stick to Airbrush specific paints, I have Liquitex Acrylics, but I use them for their intended purpose.
Even with airbrush paints will have problems with Tip dry, it's just a problem we have to live with.

I've used Winsor & Newton's Galleria in my micron without hassles. I did thin it with Com-art medium though.

Also, the acrylics that commonly come in tube form are not meant for airbrush even though a few say you can. The pigment is too large and wont spray well in an airbrush...it will constantly clog up. I'm not familiar with that brand just in case that is similar to what you are using.

Needs a lil more thinning but most brand will work fine. And i say this because i use them. It works best thinned far for monochrome.

I've used Pebeo in large quantities to roller walls for murals but not used them in an airbrush - they are quite cheap paints so maybe the pigment size is quite large... I've had better results from tubed acrylic paints like Liquitex soft body, Ara fluid acrylics etc, as they are already quite smooth even before you mix them down.

Back