Additive with candy2o

Dimitris

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hi girls and guys,

My brain has melted watching all these vids with the additives that candy needs and haven't inlight me how I'm supposed to proceed.
So, 1st question: Is the 4004 and the 4030 the same deal? Except that the 4004 is "specifically" designed for wicked colors? And that you seal the candy from the upcoming layer of whatever paint you're going to use except candy, you don't need to, but also used to enhance flow and a liitle 4012 to thin it if needed, right? ;)

Guessing I understood that, what if you've alrady painted something and want to apply candy over it, is it necessary to coat it with 4004?

Little help to figure it out would be appreciated:)

Short answer is no, they are not the same thing.

4030: "Balancing Clear" enhances spray performance & coating durability.
EG it will spray more like a urethane. From what i read, its NOT suitable for small airbrush nozzles

4004: "Transparent Base" colourless resin binder (think colourless paint)
to make your colours more transparent - not that that is the reason you would use it with Candys but candys need a carrier, so if you are not using candy on Automotive work and therefore dont need the toughness of it then 4004 is suitable for artworks. This was original said to be useful as a bleed check, but you could only use it once on a project, after that it reactivated and bleed through happened

Just to add another number to the problem

4040: "Bleed Check" urethane-acrylic clear used as an inter-coat intended for application over candy2o to prevent the candy2o’s dyes from bleeding into top-coated colors.
Use this inbetween multiple layers of candy to eliminate the bleed through that happens when spraying one colour over another.

PS:
4040 Bleed check : Do not reduce with 4012 Reducer as it’s a solvent used with candy2o and use of it in 4040 will create a shared material between candy2o and 4040 which may allow for bleeding.

You mix the candy 2o with the 4030 and you can use 4004(trans base) or 4040 as a barrier to stop bleed up if you paint over top of the candy....
You can use the 4012 reducer in the candy, 4030 mix or the 4004 to reduce for the airbrush....

You mix the candy 2o with the 4030 and you can use 4004(trans base) or 4040 as a barrier to stop bleed up if you paint over top of the candy....
You can use the 4012 reducer in the candy, 4030 mix or the 4004 to reduce for the airbrush....

Exactly,

you can mix candy with either 4030 or 4004 - just dont use the fine tips with the 4030
4040 is a bleed check, and shouldnt have 4012 added to it or you'll get colour bleed.

wow people, that's a lot of info to process at once... ok, so I'm going to be using my eclipse BCS (0.5 nozzle) to apply any candy. If the candy is the final layer of my project then there's no need to apply 4040 on top of it, just let it dry and then clearcoat? With the set i bought there was w200 in it which is equivalent to the 4004 i guess...
I'm going to ask a lot of questions on this one, so sorry for the question-bombing to come...;)

One question we didn’t ask..... is this for art or a helmet/metal panel?

For artwork I’d go with transparent base, or if you’re doing helmet use the 4030.

Once you’re finished just use a clear coat, rattle can will do.

One question we didn’t ask..... is this for art or a helmet/metal panel?

For artwork I’d go with transparent base, or if you’re doing helmet use the 4030.

Once you’re finished just use a clear coat, rattle can will do.

It's for art but on aluminum panel.

If it’s just a decorative piece for inside, won’t be handle a great deal you could still consider the transparent base with the candy

If it’s just a decorative piece for inside, won’t be handle a great deal you could still consider the transparent base with the candy

Exactly what you said @JackEb .

What I really want to know is the proccess of additives to use if I want to:

1) make my art with wicked and want to use candy afterwards (what to apply between) and
2) just curious, if you can make multiple layers using wicked and candy2o in turn.

1) you can definitely combine the wicked and candy but
2) whenever you lay down a candy lay down the bleed check. Bleed check can be used between consecutive layers where the transbase can only be used once on a project.

You can lay candy right over wicked, but you need the bleed check (4040) to lay wicked over candy with out bleed....it may look ok if you don't, until you clear, then you will notice the bleed.
If you are only laying wicked over the candy once, then the trans base will work (as long as you don't use the trans base as a carrier for the candy)....but you need the 4040 if doing multiple layers. The reason for this is the 4040 is a totally different make up, which allows a barrier. When they first came out with the 4030, they called it an intercoat clear, but shortly changed it to the mix additive and balancing clear.
I tried using trans base for the candy, but found it does not lay as smooth as when you mix the candy with 4030....The trans base (4004), is the same as paint but with out the color pigment...
The info from Createx has the mix for the Candy2o as 10-50% 4030 to Candy and using 4012 (reducer) 10% or more for using an airbrush. (depending on tip size)
I hope we aren't confusing you even more....

You can lay candy right over wicked, but you need the bleed check (4040) to lay wicked over candy with out bleed....it may look ok if you don't, until you clear, then you will notice the bleed.
If you are only laying wicked over the candy once, then the trans base will work (as long as you don't use the trans base as a carrier for the candy)....but you need the 4040 if doing multiple layers. The reason for this is the 4040 is a totally different make up, which allows a barrier. When they first came out with the 4030, they called it an intercoat clear, but shortly changed it to the mix additive and balancing clear.
I tried using trans base for the candy, but found it does not lay as smooth as when you mix the candy with 4030....The trans base (4004), is the same as paint but with out the color pigment...
The info from Createx has the mix for the Candy2o as 10-50% 4030 to Candy and using 4012 (reducer) 10% or more for using an airbrush. (depending on tip size)
I hope we aren't confusing you even more....

your post is enlightning @twood , thanks.
Still just curious if the W200 is the same with 4004? one's for wicked and the 4004 for auto-air, but still the same thing???

I think they are....but I might be wrong...lol
I only have the 4004 AutoAir trans base but I have used it with wicked with no issues.

your post is enlightning @twood , thanks.
Still just curious if the W200 is the same with 4004? one's for wicked and the 4004 for auto-air, but still the same thing???

W200 and 4004 are the same , they have discontinued the "W200" and changed the "labeling" of the 4004. Same thing with the w500 (I think thats what it was) and 4012, they discontinued the "W500" and changed the labeling on the 4012 to include the wicked logs and Auto-Air logo.

Back