Adhesion issues revisited, question for y'all

you might look into MDO, that was used for years by sign painters for outside signs and the prep is a lot less as you could use the Autoborne sealer right over the surface (a kind of kraft type paper). The boards cost a little more but are really easy to work with(plywwod sandwiched by the heavy kraft paper) and are smooth. Just a thought!

Use the gray scotch pad that they use on automobiles and with a light scuffing any paint will stick. You have to clear coat after that. Hope the project doesn't take you a month or you cannot stand next to me with stinky clothes.

No worries about hijacking it's all leading to useful information for all and that's the point really.

The MDO stuff sounds interesting but I need to router the edge so I'm no sure how that would hold up. In retrospect I really think my issue was one of two things. Not leaving the high build primer with enough tooth (though I think I used 600 grit) and/or pounding on (impatient me :)) the original Autoair sealer too heavy and not letting cure enough.

I have few pieces of MDF to experiment with. I did one already sealed with water based poly, then Autobourne, then 2K clear. It's holding up great. Next experiment with be a piece half sealed with poly half not. Then just autobourne sealer, no clear.

Back