Advice for erasing and texture creating

S

spazticchild

Hello, my issue is with erasing and scraping. Mainly with layering my paint. I don't know whether to go light to dark, or dark to light, etc. Etc. I recently purchased the 18 set of createx illustration paint to try and learn the method. How long does it have to dry before detailing. Can you erase softly to kinda remove a light layer off the paint, or does it always go down to the base coat? I've yet to find any videos on the technique showing me how to use these paints or the method. Also I think having the correct erasers may be a part of it. I have to get a few that were recommended first. thanks for any help and advice.

I manage to get away with a basic set, sometimes having the right paint helps and etac is one of the better erasing paints imho. So research good paint first. Second erasers are cheap, well I buy the cheapies and a simple electric eraser will get you far, one with changable tips preferably, they are pretty cheap, but start of with a basic rubber eraser, you'll be surprise if you cut the eraser up all the different shaped hard edges you'll get and lightly use them as you layer, consider them a blending tool, not always an erasing tool and u'll do well with most basic types, but detail wise, an electric eraser helps.

Kool rebel, I mainly use etac private stock. Just lately I have ventured to wicked colors, and now trying the createx illustration.
I have an electric eraser, but I think the eraser part is wrong. It leaves a residue that makes the white look dirty or grey.

Should I wait a certain time between laying paint and erasing, and time between first layer and second?

If you erase too quickly after application it can smear and not want to come off. The paint is designed, when used with the illustration reducer, to be eraseable and rewettable even the next day. I tend to use it win the new 4012 hp reducer and erase withing 10-15 minutes or less.

As for erasing I use the white erasers in my electric, ink and pencil fabercastel perfection erasers, a putty eraser, and a few others. You may need to try a few and see what works for you. I find that the pink eraser pencils are softer and thus erase less at once, the white ink eraser pencils are firmer and take off more paint. I tend to use the electric only if I am trying to get fully back to the substrate.

You want an erasable paint? The illustration is orrery good. Get the ETac EFX or the EFX base and mix 4:1 with the PS and it's just about the same as using the EFX.

Looks like rebel and wlmepage have covered it for you, I use the double ended pencil eraser and an electric eraser, I find etac efx the best for erasing but comart and daler rowney also work fine. Just takes a bit of practice and keep the electric eraser tip sharp.

Createx Illustration has an open window of about 30 minutes. After that it will take more effort to work it. It also depends on the paper. Too porous and you're not gonna get anything done with any paint.

Last edited:
Awesome. I thank y'all much. I'm pretty skilled at painting... But feel like a dummy when trying something new. Lol. Doesn't help my airbrush is ackin the fool right now.

Im actually surprised you havent gave this a go yet lol Its kinda like staging when it comes to erasing. Painting in light layers is the way to go as you can build up the textures as you go. Starting light will help you also "see" the areas better to build on as you get into a few more layers of the painting. Starting out with a soft eraser help you keep it light as far as the erasing. Basically for basing in your textures.

If you want more of an aggressive erasing use the white. The pink and white erasers are both pencil style. Then for highlights and really aggressive erasing then you can use an electric eraser which comes with different tips from soft to hard.

Being i use Etac Efx for this, i basically use the pink fabercastell pencil erasers throughout to keep in control. Being Etac is rewettable, i will use a damp paper towel and dampen the end of the eraser to cut through the paint for my bold highlights in the end.

It really comes down to getting used to what does what and when to do it. Another thing about it is you can be a bit looser in painting as you can use erasing to "sculpt" textures, shapes, and highlights just the way you want them. I use posterboard to paint on that has a slick side to it and it works awesome! Just as long as you have a surface thats smooth, erasing can be used correctly. Hope this helps Spaz!!

Viz.... As usual, u nailed what I needed to know. Man, this is prolly gonna help me out alot.

Also one other thing. When you have a dark dark shadow, with a highlight , do you spray several layers then highlight, or highlight layer by layer? Lets say in a black leather/vinyl suit.

No prob Spaz! With something like leather or vinyl you would want to base it out to the dark color with paying attention to the fades between the folds. Then add the highlights, cause for instance say the vinyl, it has really hard highlights. So the contrast between the dark and light is so strong you would want to just do it in one layer. Easier and quicker also.

For something in a shadow like say in a skull, you would want to add texture in light layers within where the shadows will be, then fade the shadows into that and bring up your saturation of the shadow slowly. This will create the textures within a shadow. Just to add to the realistic effect. This is just how i would go about it and my thought process on it but hope it helps!

Kool.. This is the info I've been seeking... Just when it comes to putting it down I wander in a different direction. Thanks again vis, perfect

Thanks spazticchild for starting this thread and thank you all for the ezxellent answers. VR the video is great.

No prob grant. Glad it'll help others as well. This method is killin me to learn but making me soo frustrated.

Back