Advice? MAS TC-96T Tank issue/repair

TT_FD

Young Tutorling
Hello, I'm a novice airbrush user and have been just using a simple tankless Central Pneumatic compressor.

Recently though, upon a visit to local thrift store I saw a basically still wrapped MAS TC-96T compressor and tank for 25.00. Now I could immediately see the original owner had snapped the connector from the tank.

The brass coloured threading in the tank (see attached images) is that tanks sleeve that is threaded into or is the remainder of the snapped coupler?

Is this possible to fix and advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_0161.JPEGIMG_0146.JPEG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0147.JPEG
    IMG_0147.JPEG
    259.1 KB · Views: 15
Hello and welcome to the forum!

That looks like the broken part of the coupler. Put some penetrating oil on it first. A big screw extractor would be ultimate alternative but if you don't have one, you can use some pliers or tool that would fit inside but not go thru, and apply pressure while trying to unscrew (counter-clockwise). If that doesn't work try "jamming" a drill bit into it and use a reverse drill to try to remove it. Once out make sure the tank is clean inside of any other debris of the broken coupler.

Thanks,
Ismael
 
Yeah, as said, that's the easiest fix or all.

In addition to the above suggestions and have a good vacuum to extract debris, you could take a small file or thin metal saw bladed put two notches on opposite sides and get a flathead screwdriver in place and back it out.

If you go that route, prop in up in a way that the debris would remain near the opening.

That said, since the compressor was such a deal, investing in a proper extractor is a small expense.
 
Awesome, thanks for all of the advice - I agree re the extractor expense, just ordered a set from Amazon which includes one large enough for the diameter - plus it'll be good to have on hand in the future for other applications regardless.

I just didnt want to go into this completely uninformed, thanks again to the three of you!
 
I agree with the others, try an extractor, being this compressor is like new it stands a chance of coming out. If it doesn’t seem to work, add a little heat in case there is any thread sealant holding it in tighter (some of that sealant really bonds the stuff in place).

20+ years ago my dads compressor, a larger 60 gallon 2 stage unit got broken like this when my cousin thought he could move the compressor himself (or lift it up, I wasn't there only heard about it) and knocked it over. At any rate, I took a look at it years later and seen a pipe broke at the threads just like in the OP's photo, actually it was “cracked” and leaked but still worked, just ran a lot more than it should.

The pipe broke when I tried to remove it of course, screw extractor didn’t work in my case, but I had a smaller compressor and used some carbide burr bits in a high speed die grinder to slowly thin the pipe threaded area to the threads in the tanks (careful not to damage the tanks threads), and then I used a small punch / hammer and chiseled the rest of the broken pipe out of the tank threads. Took a while, but got it out and a new pipe threaded in fine. I may have even used the carbide bits in an electric drill as well, as any compressor I had at the time would have been small and struggle with a die grinder making it a real slow process, I'm sure I used the drill as well thinking back.

If you can get it to un-thread though, that is the easiest solution and quickest.

But yeah, post an update with how it comes out if you can.
 
Well, this was a frustrating but ultimately successful fix. So first I got the extractor, attached it my standard dewalt drill, and within 10 seconds the drill had been over-powered/defeated by how mf'n tight or cross threaded the coupler was in the tank. No wonder they dumped it.

So then I ordered a breaker bar and adapter to fit the drill sized attachment, I TWEAKED on that thing HARD, but it did come about halfway out before the extractor blew through the whole mess and just started turning in place, but not extracting.

I took a couple days off, b/c I knew the next thing was to drill the mofo out, which I did. Then I ordered some NPT taps incl 1/4" one which I used to re-thread tank...and thank my lucky stars it ended up alright. I will be using Teflon tape though when I put it into operation :)

Anyway, thought I'd update and wrap this up...and thanks again for all of the good advice :) great group of people on this forum.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0166.JPEG
    IMG_0166.JPEG
    251.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0169.JPEG
    IMG_0169.JPEG
    225.1 KB · Views: 14
Well, this was a frustrating but ultimately successful fix. So first I got the extractor, attached it my standard dewalt drill, and within 10 seconds the drill had been over-powered/defeated by how mf'n tight or cross threaded the coupler was in the tank. No wonder they dumped it.

So then I ordered a breaker bar and adapter to fit the drill sized attachment, I TWEAKED on that thing HARD, but it did come about halfway out before the extractor blew through the whole mess and just started turning in place, but not extracting.

I took a couple days off, b/c I knew the next thing was to drill the mofo out, which I did. Then I ordered some NPT taps incl 1/4" one which I used to re-thread tank...and thank my lucky stars it ended up alright. I will be using Teflon tape though when I put it into operation :)

Anyway, thought I'd update and wrap this up...and thanks again for all of the good advice :) great group of people on this forum.
Glad You got it sorted :)
 
one final update, cleaned, reassembled and new elbow installed. holds pressure no problem so it all looks good! so happy I sorted this out...and any tools bought during the process are always good to have for the future :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0171.JPEG
    IMG_0171.JPEG
    246.9 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top