Advice on getting set up

C

CardiaC

As in the title im looking for some advice. At the moment im unemployed and have a 4 year old son so you can imagine im on a very tight budget, Infact im having to sell my fish tank to get my equipment. Im looking to spend around 120 ish on airbrush and comp and paints. i know that that amount isnt gunna get me a lot and that is why im looking at this deal on ebay, it consists of a comp with tank and reg, 2 airbrushes one gravity with a o.3 needle and one siphon with a 0.35 needle(tried posting link but cant at the moment). I know they are cheapos that wont last long but i can always go and buy a better airbrush when money allows, think of it as a stepping stone just to get me practicing and then i can expand from there.

Now this is were you guys and gals come in

Is this a good idea to get started or is that stepping stone gunna sink when i stand on it?
Are there any better deals out there for the first time buyer on a budget like mine?

Any and all advice welcome

CardiaC

It may seem that anything is better than nothing to get you started.......but......... if money is an issue as it is with me, is it worth spending money on equipment that isn't really up to the job. It could be a false economy that's just going to have you spending more in the long run.

What kind of compressor is it? Does it have a storage tank? All the pressure guages and hoses you'll need etc. How noisy is it?

From what you've said the brushes sound like cheap/no brand brushes. You could luck out and get a good one, but I think most people will agree they are not going to have the quality you'll need, and will also make it harder to learn as you will be fighting the brush as well as trying to master techniques and learn paint/mixtures and airpressures. Also can you get spares for those brushes?

If you buy this, you may well end up having to spend out again after you realise it isn't what you need, so could end up costing more. Or if like me are strapped for cash, then could delay you getting started for much longer, if you've already wasted a lot of money on something that wasn't good. If you think this is what you need then go for it. However I would consider maybe waiting a little longer, and getting enough cash to buy something better, that will mean you only splash out once.

You can get some good branded brushes at the lower end for reasonable money ( I suggest Iwata or Badger), and then look for a compressor that meets your needs. If noise is not an issue then regular ones are way cheaper than silent, and I would say one with a tank is a must. Hoses, connectors, regulaters, water filter etc, are other costs that should be taken into account. And of course you want to leave yourself a few quid for some paint. Anyway CardiaC, just my thoughts. It can be expensive to get started, but, once you have the equipment you'll be set, and as addicted as the rest of us in no time.

here is a read up of the listing im looking at

Comp This 3ltr single cylinder piston Compressor with Tank
offers the following features -

• Air Tank provides smooth airflow, zero pulse
  • Quiet, Low noise (47db)
  • Automatic stop and Auto start feature system
  • Includes filter, regulator and gauge to adjust the pressure according to demand
  • Oil-less - pollutant free
  • Air Output 25L/min
  • Auto Start 43PSI (3 bar)
  • Auto Stop 57PSI (4 bar)
  • Voltage 220-240V
  • Thermally Protected
  • Power 1/5HP
  • CE Certified

Airbrushs
    1st Airbrush -

High-quality, superfine dual action airbrush with push-button activation and gravity feed cup
    Body length - 155mm
    Nozzle diameter - 0.30mm
    Supplied in presentation case with adjusting spanner and pipette

2nd Airbrush -

High-quality, superfine dual action airbrush with push-button activation
    Body length - 150mm
    Nozzle diameter - 0.35mm
    Supplied in presentation case with adjusting spanner, 2 x bottles, plastic airhose M5, adapters, hanger and metal feed cup

Think i will wait for a bit never know may come across a bargain or 2 in the future

Hi Cardiac,
Good advice from Squishy.
When I first started I bought a kit and after a few months I ended up having to buy everything over again, compressor, airbrush and paints so be careful, it was very expensive. I had an AS186 Single cylinder compressor with 3 litre air tank like you describe above and I know for sure I would have been better with an AS196 Twin Cylinder with air tank. It would have only cost a bit more and would have lasted me a lot longer than the AS186 did.

Firstly, you haven't mentioned what you want to paint. Are you a modeller? For illustrations? Motorbike/car airbrushing? Or something else, tattoos, cakes, makeup, helmets, etc. etc.?

We need to know that before anyone can really help you.
Cheers Mel

Thanks for the advice Mel. When i first started looking into airbrush it was for modelling but as i said in my welcome post i fell in love with the snow leopard that Mitch done. That has inspired me to think about other uses for it. i dont want to say one specific thing as i would like to give them all a go but it will mainly be for models and illustration and the odd pc case here and there

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Cardiac, for what you want to do, this is what I suggest. It is only my opinion and I'm sure others will have very good advice.

Compressor - A Twin cylinder like the AS196 (with 3 litre air tank, Regulator, Moisture Trap and Pressure gauge) about 120 UK pounds, should let you airbrush for 45min to an hour before it will need to cool down. On Fleabay or better still at an online shop, you can probably get a kit with a hose and cheap airbrush for this price. Don't buy a compressor without an air tank.

The Single cylinder AS186 about 90 UK pounds, can airbrush for around 30mins before it starts to overheat. Once cool you can start airbrushing again but I don't think this will be enough for your needs.

Airbrush - A Veda (from Pecoglobal.com delivery about 4 weeks) cheap airbrush 0.3mm needle are about 30 quid (a kit will include a cheap airbrush). Better still an Iwata Neo Gravity feed (I have never used one but they are supposed to be a good beginners airbrush and have 2 cup sizes) 50 quid or better again an Iwata Eclipse, you will have to decide which model but I would suggest a gravity feed for your needs, over 100 quid. Badger do very good airbrushes but I don't know much about them.

Paints - Com-Art (Comart) are ready to use straight from the bottle water based acrylic airbrush paints. They are affordable, great and easy to use and can be used on primed metal (probably need varnishing). Kit G is 5 opaque and 5 transparent paints which is a good set to try them out. About 25 UK pounds.

A Cleaning Station - about 15 UK pounds (you can make one by putting a hole in a plastic bottle)
An Air Hose 3m - about 10 UK pounds (a kit will include this)
A Mask - see my videos on the subject (about 40 UK pounds) (can use masks from DIY store for paints, dust only masks are no good)

You get what you pay for, so the more you can pay now the less chance you'll have to buy new equipment in the near future. Believe me, I had to. Get advice from a shop if you can, go to the shop, try stuff out, look at the different options and ask questions to suit your needs.

If you don't have much money buy the cheap options to try out airbrushing but expect to buy better equipment once you decide you like it. Always airbrush with good ventilation (open windows, use fans) and wear a mask.

I have made lots of videos to help beginners like myself and put them on YouTube

Melumental - YouTube

I've never bought from this online shop but Everythingairbrush.com seems to have all the things I have mentioned including cheap airbrushes (not Vedas). You could ring them up for advice and see if you could get a deal.

Good luck and have fun,
Cheers Mel

Thank you very much Mel watching your vids now

CardiaC

CardiaC,

Squishy and Melbee have summed this up subject well!

In a nutshell the only cheapo I would even say is OK is the Veda (micron clone). I have a number of airbrushes and the only one that doesnt seem to give me problems of one sort or another is my Iwata Eclipse! As for a compressor a tank is a must! It must also be capable of suppling enough air to the tank to keep you going coz when you get going you aint gonna want to stop! I currently use an Iwata Studio series Power jet pro for in the house (relatively quiet!) and a cheap proper compressor when in the garage (7cfm, 25 litre tank). I also have a 75 litre tank rigged up off a "Y" adapter (Compressor runs for about 5 - 10 mins but it lasts hours!).
The problem with an untanked model is you get pulsing (seen as regularly spaced dots when doing a line) and a tank is the most effective way eliminating this.

As both the ladies have said ... Buying cheap ultimately ends up being expensive!

So when you say Boro ... do you mean smoggy boro?

Andy

Thanks Talla and unfortunately yes im a smoggy lol (Dont have to worry about a mask when painting as ICI is pumping out more toxins that what will be coming out the airbrush)

Dont worry to much about being a smoggy ... Im a monkey hanger living just over the water from you and we all glow in the dark!

Back