advise on painting fire extinguisher

action

Young Tutorling
looking at painting a skull on a unpainted stainless steel water fire extinguisher,.... how do I prepare the surface because I m leaving it the shiny stainless.... If I use water base I would have to probably clear the area of the skull otherwise it would scrape off. I could use my 1-shot oil base paint and no clear is required....I would prefer my water base etac paint......Quite new to airbrushing.....been painting mostly paper......any help

Clear the extinguisher first maybe then scuff that for paint adhesion and then re-clear after the skull is on..Maybe another option would be to frisket the overall shape and then use an etch primer so it only primes the area of where the paint will sit..Best of luck

Imron would be the best clear to put over stainless or any epoxy clear and use an adhesion promotor. You will have to make sure the metal is spotless and wear gloves as your fingerprints will remain forever. The problem with clearing over bare metal or even stainless, it will patina over time and turn white. The clear etches itself into the metal so it's unavoidable. If it was me, depending on what you want to paint on it, make a oval or whatever and just prep that part. I'm old school so I would just hand letter with 1 shot but that's from years of doing firetrucks with my grandfather so I have a soft spot for fire extinguishers lol. You could block out a shape with the 1 shot then airbrush over it then just brush or spray some varnish over it. That's how I seal all my goldleaf and it lasts forever. Now mixing oil based and waterbased and lacquer based is a whole different story lol so it all depends on what route you will take. I think they actually do make an etch clear primer now but would be extremely expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could block out the area with brushed on One Shot as Immortal suggests, then you could airbrush with One Shot on top of the brushed on area. For some reason, when you airbrush One Shot directly on metal, it doesn't stick as well as when its brushed on, but when you airbrush it over an already brushed on area, it sticks great. Here's a link to a video by Steve Kafka, which will give you an idea of what I'm referring to.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah its called wet on wet. Old sign painters trick. It doesn't stick as good when sprayed directly because of it being reduced. It also gums the crap out of your airbrush and doesn't atomize well unless it's large spray. I messed with putting some through a .2mm years ago and it flakes right off. The key with 1 shot as well is also using their branded reducer and not mineral spirits. Mineral spirits were great until they changed the formula a few years ago due to VOC regulations and it now chalks and falls off and isn't durable using mineral spirits anymore. 1 shot really sucks now and should he called 2-5 shot. I miss the leaded stuff and still have a few cans of it. The drying times of it also can be a pain because if the base layer brushed on isn't completely cured it melts into it which is the desired effect of wet on wet.

You could block out the area with brushed on One Shot as Immortal suggests, then you could airbrush with One Shot on top of the brushed on area. For some reason, when you airbrush One Shot directly on metal, it doesn't stick as well as when its brushed on, but when you airbrush it over an already brushed on area, it sticks great. Here's a link to a video by Steve Kafka, which will give you an idea of what I'm referring to.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
thank you it was extremely helpful, I have spoken to Steve directly in the past, very friendly and helful

all this sounds expensive and complicated....Think I came up with another idea....I do vinyl sign making with a plotter, I could take the outline of the skull and cut a pc of vinyl apply that to the stainless and I know water base paint will stick to the vinyl providing you clear it after

Back