Aerograph Model "A" nozzle removal

F

fingers99

The Model "A" seems to be the predecessor of the Super 63. I'd guess it dates from the 1930s. Although it looks superficially similar to the 63, I've yet to discover any interchangeable parts! Maybe the needle and the odd washer!

I've got 2 incomplete ones and managed to put together one working airbrush, but I've an air leak from the cap, which is likely to be the nozzle washer. But for the life of me, I can't get the nozzle out! There are no flats to facilitate removal, so I'm guessing it's a push fit, but I can't get it to budge.

I've ordered some small pliers, but wondered if anyone had any direct experience of this model (or this problem) and would love a diagram if anyone has one.

Thanks for reading!

I've not seen n Aerograph that old, other than photo's... so, am not real familiar with the construction... If you are on Facebook, there is a "Vintage Air" group, here one of the members is not only a past Aerograph employee, but quite the AB history buff. Might be worth joining the page to help find an answer - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479856872258633/

If you are not a member, I will be happy to post the question for you...

Thanks all. Pic certainly looks like mine, although green and blue handles (green in my case) seem more common. Not sure if the handle colour actually signifies anything!
I spot a void in front of the ink well which I guess must be for the nozzle seal. Waiting to be approved by the Vintage group!

Thanks! I've got a diagram in the Tombs Curtis/Hunt book (all my airbrushing books are second hand, too!) but yours are MUCH better. On my Super 63 the nozzle is "fall out" - I discovered it at the bottom of the container I was using to hold the body (sans cap) in the ultrasound bath one day (beware!).
The Vintage Group folk recon the air leak with the Model A is more likely to be an air valve issue.

Thanks! I've got a diagram in the Tombs Curtis/Hunt book (all my airbrushing books are second hand, too!) but yours are MUCH better. On my Super 63 the nozzle is "fall out" - I discovered it at the bottom of the container I was using to hold the body (sans cap) in the ultrasound bath one day (beware!).
The Vintage Group folk recon the air leak with the Model A is more likely to be an air valve issue.

For sure, if it is like you described. If you are not pressing the trigger, there should be no air passing through the brush at all. Also the nozzle is never a piece that would alter air flow, as that is a separate passage through the brush body. They only meet on the way out :). Once you take care of the air valve allowing air to seep past the seal, if you still have air escaping from around the base of the cap when releasing air, a small bit of wax or chapstick will cure that.

Back