Aerograph super 63e Nozzle cracked!

V

vctrsone

Hi guys im from New Zealand and very new to air brushing I brought a cheap chinese compressor and airbrush and then decided to get a nice ab.

I saw an Aerograph super 63e for sale cheap brought it for $17.50....It was brought brand new in 84 , is the E model with solid metal cup and the screw in style brass nozzle.

All was gravy until.....

I screwed the nozzle cap on while the needle was still held in place by the chuck...IE i pushed the needle right through the nozzle putting two lovely large cracks in it. I also must have dissolved the oring for it when cleaning it (it leaked before and i couldnt see a gasket in there but now it doesnt seal at all)

Now the gun just bubbles into the cup and doesnt spray at all....making me very sad....I instantly loved this airbrush I painted with it for about an hour and had already got much much better results than compared with my chinese AB id been using all week.

I was so happy with this airbrush it sprayed so perfectly and I had already done 3 really awesome looking paintings...sad sad sad >.<

So now I am trying to find me a replacement nozzle....Im pretty broke (hence the cheap kit) so just looking to replace the tip and o-ring.

I have stripped it and put it back together (it was tricky but nothing after rebuilding engines) everythings in the correct positions and even feels much nicer after a little grease and tightening. Doing this also helped me see how airbrushes work..I wont be breaking any more airbrush with silly little mistakes like this again.

Does anyone know where I can buy the nozzles for these? I have searched every single article mentioning aerograph over the past few days (spent the last 5 hours looking for somewhere to buy them before signing up here) I have also tried every link that ive seen to so called aerograph parts suppliers..none of them seem to mention anything about having parts for them and I tried the restorationsupplies site a German site and a couple others.

So I have a few questions too...

Can I somehoe repair my tip? or maybe get an engineer to repair it?

Where would I go for the seals?

and lastly will I need a new needle too?

*update* so I have spent even more time ringing and emailing around and have finally found an american supplier :) this AB will live again! going to order my new parts in the next week and I can stop using this horrid chinese knock off hahaha.....next thing will be finding a decent and quiet air compressor to replace the cheap kit one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey vtrssone. You've got a piece of history there. Although great gun at a great price, spares will kill you. Maybe time to change to something more modern.

Anyway, have a look here. AIRBRUSH SERVICES ALMERE - de Vilbiss and maybe buy a few nozzles and needles to help bring down shipping.

Oh wow thankyou mate another source for parts I had found some at bear-air in the USA I will compare prices and go from there!

Thankyou anyway! I can now save my little piece of history!

Ah thats a very good store, theyll help u out alright. But what a steal.

Yer it was a steal! someone kept bidding agaisnt me too and he gave up at $17.50 muhahahahaha!

The bear-air guys do seem cool and they told me they have a lot of stock for the older airbrush models..seems like a bloody good store.

Also I got an email from the new owner of Aerograph hes having to build 60% of the parts for them from scratch as the last owners had sold all there stock, I suggested that maybe we could source him another super 63 to use for reverse engineering..I have also told him about the newer companys downfall with using too soft brass for the nozzles which then wear out way to fast.

So I advised him to tryn use the hardest brass recipe they can and hopefully the new parts they make will be top notch like they used to be. I even went as far as to say I would test them out for them :) I love old quality tools, I prefer old school to any of the new stuff. ( I havent of course tried all the new AB's but I mean in general I prefer old tools)

So this seems to be turning into a conservation effort to not only save my Aerograph super 63e but to save the brand as a whole and make em quality products again.

The company they brought the rights to Aerograph one month ago is spraygunshop.uk/everythingairbrush.com The manager Tim Murrell said they are working on it and will have brand new spare parts available by march 2013.

The company they brought the rights to Aerograph one month ago is spraygunshop.uk/everythingairbrush.com The manager Tim Murrell said they are working on it and will have brand new spare parts available by march 2013.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and have only received perfect and fast service from them, all the way from South Africa.

Awesome this sounds really good then! pretty cool that Aerograph has finally got a solid owner who will actually care about the quality of ther product.

I must also apologize for breaking this in the first place..I know how frustrating it must be having a nub come in and be like "I got a great airbrush!......and broke it!" :( one of those things I needed to learn...always loosen your needle before playing with your nozzle or anything else on the AB...sometimes trying to teach yourself Isnt a good thing.

I love vintage stuff too so I was really upset that I broke it...My girlfriend said Id been mopping around since I did it lol...I am happy now I know I can get parts for it tho.

The last owner of my AB sent me an email saying he was glad it had found a good new home nd that he'd looked after it really well from the moment he brought it.....and all I could think of was how I managed to break it in the first day of owning it :(

(sorry about my tera-bad typing too guys...mmorpg's have ruined me for typing hehehe)

They say the new owner makes lower quality nozzles and needles, i have a aerograph sprite, uses same nozzle n needle so ill guess we will both find out.
Review the dif in the old and new needle if u want, rlly curious.

I will! I am going to buy some spares to get it going for now..they will be the lower quality versions made after the 80's by the newer companys.

And when the production starts of the new line I will buy a set too and then I will indeed do a review for you :)

I had a few shops tell me that Aerograph are not good and wont be seen or heard of ever again..Its funny just how many emails and things I have got from people who absolutely love them and are keen to see them back up and going. (despite what those shops said..I wont name names lol)

I even had a nice guy from Australia (tony Vowles founder of airbrush focus and airbrush venturi) who owns 20 of them contact me and say hes gonna be in auckland in 2 weeks for airbrushing course's he holds and he wants me to come meet him and to bring my old Aerograph with me :)

Im excited im gonna get to meet an old pro and Im seriously thinking about signing up to a course to learn some stuff :)

Yer it was a steal! someone kept bidding agaisnt me too and he gave up at $17.50 muhahahahaha!

The bear-air guys do seem cool and they told me they have a lot of stock for the older airbrush models..seems like a bloody good store.

Also I got an email from the new owner of Aerograph hes having to build 60% of the parts for them from scratch as the last owners had sold all there stock, I suggested that maybe we could source him another super 63 to use for reverse engineering..I have also told him about the newer companys downfall with using too soft brass for the nozzles which then wear out way to fast.

So I advised him to tryn use the hardest brass recipe they can and hopefully the new parts they make will be top notch like they used to be. I even went as far as to say I would test them out for them :) I love old quality tools, I prefer old school to any of the new stuff. ( I havent of course tried all the new AB's but I mean in general I prefer old tools)

So this seems to be turning into a conservation effort to not only save my Aerograph super 63e but to save the brand as a whole and make em quality products again.

Hi all, I just want to confirm the above good news. I recently decided to get my old super 63 dusted off and was surprised that parts were no longer available. After shaked heads and downcast looks at my local airbush centre I looked online found Bell, and they gave me the new owner's number. I spoke to Tim Murrell who was extremely helpful and a nice chap to boot.

One thing not covered is that Tim previously worked for Devilbiss (I think he said for 20 years) and has the skills and know how necessary to machine the parts to Devilbiss standard. Given that, rather than buy a japanese brush, I shall retain my old 63 E and hopefully add an A model when he moves into full production. At the moment though I'm just looking forward to be able to get hold of new spares, and I imagine I'm not alone in that.

As an aside, a couple of days ago I spoke to the airbrush company near Brighton who seemed very interested in talking to Mr Murrell

I really recommend everythingairbrush. I got a cheap no name airbrush for £30 from them when I first started out, and was able to get all spares for it when needed, at amazing quality for the price, and great customer service. Way better than I got when I went on to buy a badly made devilbiss dagr from another company. Luckily the store replaced the dagr, but again it was rubbish and devilbiss were anything but helpful or interested. Everythingairbrush are a great bunch.

Back