Air brush newbie help

M

matthias butts

Hello there
I just bought my airbrushes last week and i have been practicing lots of dots and lines since. Today i started a space painting and after sketching i did some test hits with white paint and its splattering. Not running just splattering. When i first started the airbrush lines had very precise edges and now its splattering all on the outside of the line. Im using a GREX ac1810-a at 28 psi with un reduced grex stock paing and unreduced spectra tex paint(both splatter). Help

Theres a picture of what i mean by overspray/splattering. image.jpeg

Pressure is to low for the thickness of the paint .
Learning a paint (brand) means know at what pressure it will shoot straight out the bottle first then learning to reduce both the paint and the air pressure. While I have never use a GREX airbrush I have used their paint and spectra tex, Both through a .35 set up do require a little reduction at any thing under 35 PSI.
Now go to the introduction section of the forum and make a proper introduction you will find that here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Pressure is to low for the thickness of the paint .
Learning a paint (brand) means know at what pressure it will shoot straight out the bottle first then learning to reduce both the paint and the air pressure. While I have never use a GREX airbrush I have used their paint and spectra tex, Both through a .35 set up do require a little reduction at any thing under 35 PSI.
Now go to the introduction section of the forum and make a proper introduction you will find that here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
Thankyou so much!!!

Hi, Mathias.
You will find that extremely few paints spray straight out of the bottle - even though they claim they do!
All makers have either made or recommend their own reducer and its worth looking into what they say.
After all, they made the paint in the first place and oughta know what it does- that's their job!
As for the pix, well Mr M has you covered there, reduce or up the pressure if you can handle it.
IMHO, start with ink - its much easier than paints to begin with.:):)

Paints that say they paint from the bottle generally mean through a .5 nozzle at around 40 psi. So if you're into painting shirts etc at higher pressure and don't need super fine lines, then you're good to go. Anything else will need reduction. And that varies between brands, even different colours within the same brand, on your gun and nozzle size, technique, what coverage you want, and even conditions such as weather and humidity. Just experiment by adding reducer a drop or two at a time, adjusting the air pressure as needed (more reducer = less air, which is desirable as it means less overspray and more control) until you get good flow (and once you have good flow add another drop just to make sure you can't get it even better). This will then become your go to base mix, which you can then adjust a drop or two as needed. Sounds a pain, but you soon get into the swing of it.

Hi, Mathias.
You will find that extremely few paints spray straight out of the bottle - even though they claim they do!
All makers have either made or recommend their own reducer and its worth looking into what they say.
After all, they made the paint in the first place and oughta know what it does- that's their job!
As for the pix, well Mr M has you covered there, reduce or up the pressure if you can handle it.
IMHO, start with ink - its much easier than paints to begin with.:):)
I appreciate the imput! As far as ink goes, what all does that involve? I mean would i need to reduce that or can i just spray it right from the bottle?
I also get splattering issues when the nozzle cap gets full of paint.
i have it all as clean as a whistle! Lol

Mainly ink can be reduced with water, it is already fairly thin - so in most cases you can spray directly from the container when new.
After awhile, it is advisable to strain it before use, as it develops 'lumps' - clumps of pigment - due to exposure to air.
Other than that, you can use it just as you would any other paint.
If you lightly mist your surface with water, before you spray, you can also achieve a very realistic watercolour effect.
If you do this, remember to allow it to dry, BEFORE you go on with it.
Otherwise, it will 'bleed' together on the surface and you will not have seperate colour there.
Experiment and have fun!

Grexx paint is is Etac paint and that is a paint I know like the back off my hand :) , it can be used straight out the bottle even with a 0.18 needle and it can be thinned down with water for fine detail at low pressure .
every airbrush is different if it comes to the psi needed so that is a matter of finding the right psi for your airbrush and the (thinned) paint . I know I need about 25 psi for etac straight out the bottle and a Iwata CM SB or the HP SB .
I did own a grexx xn 0.2 airbrush and that one also needed about 25 to 30 psi
if I thin down the paint I need about 15 to 20 psi and that is with give or take 5 drops paint 2 drops water

Back