Air but very little paint on brand new brush

D

DickJones

Hello, I'm Dick Jones and I am from Belfast. I did not know whether to put this in introductions or not.

I am having a problem with my airbrush/compressor setup. I am using an Expo AB602 to paint models and have been for about 2 months. I have been using the dual-action gravity feed brush that comes with it. I mix Tamiya paints with Tamiya thinner and routinely clean the brush. Everything has gone fine until my latest attempt to use it using the usual settings.

The paint would barely come out at all, even though air was blasting through. I had to hold it very close to the surface to even realise the paint was getting through. When I did it would spit and run/pool up. I thought I did not clean the brush properly so I cleaned it thoroughly... same problem.

So then I bought a new gravity-fed dual action brush. This was obviously whistle-clean but again the same problem. I spray in the garage, which is cold, but the temperature hasn't changed in 2 months.

I brought the compressor inside and heated it, I thought condensation might have to dry out. Then I fitted the in-line moisture trap, but just one or two tiny bubbles show up in it.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to what the problem is here. I also tried different paints.

Paint has settled ? Maybe what your putting in the brush is just from the top of the tin (assumption on my part as most model paints are in a tin)
Try straight food dye through it, if it works then it's the paint
The only common denominators are the paint and compressor

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, even though you bought a new brush it still sounds like a paint clog, have you strained your paint?

I bet your nozzle is mostly obstructed, I'd soak the nozzle in solvent or try spraying it through the brush (careful of your seal if not solvent proof or resistant) or us a soft copper wire or fine nylon bristle to ream out the obstruction, just make sure it's softer than the nozzle.

Jim

Welcome aboard... good advice given, I've nothing to add but interested in what you find...

Welcome from Australia!
I'm also of the opinion that you have a clog in the nozzle area.
Are you shaking those little tins vigourously before putting it into the cup?
Probably pigment that has been settling in the bottom of the tin being fed through the nozzle and jamming it .
Or, at least, that's what I reckon it could be.
A good soak in thinners [ acrylic - if that's what you're using.} should sort it for you.
Blow air first, use some food dye or water and look at the spray pattern as it leaves the needle point.
If it's regular and don't flutter or change each time you hit the trigger, you should be fine.

Hello, I'm reproductive organ Jones and I am from Belfast. I did not know whether to put this in introductions or not.

I am having a problem with my airbrush/compressor setup. I am using an Expo AB602 to paint models and have been for about 2 months. I have been using the dual-action gravity feed brush that comes with it. I mix Tamiya paints with Tamiya thinner and routinely clean the brush. Everything has gone fine until my latest attempt to use it using the usual settings.

The paint would barely come out at all, even though air was blasting through. I had to hold it very close to the surface to even realise the paint was getting through. When I did it would spit and run/pool up. I thought I did not clean the brush properly so I cleaned it thoroughly... same problem.

So then I bought a new gravity-fed dual action brush. This was obviously whistle-clean but again the same problem. I spray in the garage, which is cold, but the temperature hasn't changed in 2 months.

I brought the compressor inside and heated it, I thought condensation might have to dry out. Then I fitted the in-line moisture trap, but just one or two tiny bubbles show up in it.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to what the problem is here. I also tried different paints.
Welcome aboard Mr Jones, i live in Belfast too were abouts you live

Welcome aboard Mr Jones, i live in Belfast too were abouts you live

He lives just up the road at number tree hundred and dirty tree:)

Welcome D-I-C-K, this forum has a tendency to turn anyone with a name like yours into a tool. lol

And you definitely have a clog in both brushes, some paints have a tendency to dry very quickly while sitting in the cup, my guess is you have the tiniest particles lodged in your nozzle, you can very quickly blast some acetone or cellulose thinners through and then clean with your normal cleaner, should fix your problem and get you back into masterpieceing:thumbsup:

It's definitely not a clog in the brush. That's why I'm scratching my head. I cleaned my main brush thoroughly and even stripped it down and steeped it. The problem persisted.

Then I took a brand new brush, whistle-clean and never before used, the paint was mixed and stirred perfectly, and it did the same thing.

It's definitely not a clog in the brush. That's why I'm scratching my head. I cleaned my main brush thoroughly and even stripped it down and steeped it. The problem persisted.

Then I took a brand new brush, whistle-clean and never before used, the paint was mixed and stirred perfectly, and it did the same thing.

The only thing that can cause your issue is a clog, we are talking the tiniest spot is enough to cause your problem, the fact it's happening with two brushes suggests that there is a problem with your paint, if you aren't already straining your paint before use, you should, some paints sit in the shop for a long time and some gets hard on the side of the bottle, if this gets into your cup it will make it's way directly to your nozzle.

I'm sure if you clean your brushes again and strain your paint, this problem will subside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep as MB says defo sounds like a clog, after youve cleaned you brushes thoroughly, clean them again. I had to strip down one of my brushes bout four times before to get it going. All part of the experience [emoji4]

HI D.ick (sorry about the name change, the forum has an automatic clean up for certain words I'm afraid :) ) Welcome aboard :D

It really does sound like a clogging issue, as has been said, even a microscopic speck can cause issues. However, you don't (I think) mention what type of brush you have. If it is a branded one it might be worth sending back to be checked as it should still be under warrenty. If it is a chinese (knock off) version, then it's possible that as the quality of materials used is generally pretty poor you may have some damage or wear. The materials used can be soft so it could be easy to flare, or crack or damage the inside of a nozzle. If the second brush you tried is a similar brush, then as they can be very hit and miss quality wise, it may just be that it wasn't going to work well anyway. It could be worth getting a magnifying glass and inspecting the needle and nozzle just in case there is any damage there not immediately obvios to the naked eye.. Are you getting any bubbles in the paint cup?

Or it could be the paint. I am not familiar with it, so don't know if the pigment size is suitable, but as you were using it before don't think that is the problem, although paint thinning is a bit of an art, and what works one day may not work the next without adjusting. As you have tried other paints (I am assuming they are suitable for airbrush use, with finer pigments), then it is seeming that the problem is more likely with the brushes.

If you could be more specific with the type of brushes you have, nozzle size, paint/thinner/psi ratio, cleaning routine, and the types of paints you have tried, it might switch a lightbulb on for someone to give you more specific advice :)

HI D.ick (sorry about the name change, the forum has an automatic clean up for certain words I'm afraid :) ) Welcome aboard :D

It really does sound like a clogging issue, as has been said, even a microscopic speck can cause issues. However, you don't (I think) mention what type of brush you have. If it is a branded one it might be worth sending back to be checked as it should still be under warrenty. If it is a chinese (knock off) version, then it's possible that as the quality of materials used is generally pretty poor you may have some damage or wear. The materials used can be soft so it could be easy to flare, or crack or damage the inside of a nozzle. If the second brush you tried is a similar brush, then as they can be very hit and miss quality wise, it may just be that it wasn't going to work well anyway. It could be worth getting a magnifying glass and inspecting the needle and nozzle just in case there is any damage there not immediately obvios to the naked eye.. Are you getting any bubbles in the paint cup?

Or it could be the paint. I am not familiar with it, so don't know if the pigment size is suitable, but as you were using it before don't think that is the problem, although paint thinning is a bit of an art, and what works one day may not work the next without adjusting. As you have tried other paints (I am assuming they are suitable for airbrush use, with finer pigments), then it is seeming that the problem is more likely with the brushes.

If you could be more specific with the type of brushes you have, nozzle size, paint/thinner/psi ratio, cleaning routine, and the types of paints you have tried, it might switch a lightbulb on for someone to give you more specific advice :)

He does mention the compressor and brush, I believe this is it;

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-DEAL-AB602-Dual-action-EXPO-TOOLS-/400283578141

Doomed from the outset I'm afraid:(

Thanks MB, missed that. I'm getting a bit of a sinking feeling. This type of kit can be very hit and miss as I mentioned as regards to build and material quality, so may be the cause of your issues I'm afraid. But still worth checking the nozzles, and persisting with thorough cleaning. When I think my brush is clean, that is when I clean it again.

Back