Airbrush choice

Boost3782

Young Tutorling
Hello all,

New member and have done some searching but couldn't find enough information to help me with my decision. I paint fishing lures and have been using the Eclipse HP-CS over the last year and a half. I spray wicked/Createx paints 99.99% of the time. I normally spray my Eclispe at around 18-22psi. I have been wanting to get into a detail brush for stencil work on my lures. I will be targeting air pressures of around 15-18 psi for the stencil work. I would pull the trigger on a Creos PS-771 in a heartbeat and be on my way to airbrush bliss but of course they are out of stock at spraygunner and have been for a while.

I had been recommend an Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH with the upgraded .2 conversion from a fellow out of state lure painter that has both that brush and the PS-771. He said the Hi-Line is very close in detail to the PS-771. I did some checking on here in previous posts and saw someone mention that brush needs more air pressure to pull fine lines than others which can cause issues on plastic such as I am painting. What throws me off on it also is the price point after adding the .2mm conversion is pushing closer to that $300 mark. The HP-BH comes with the .2mm setup coming in around $250 but I have not found too many reviews on it.

I know the Microns are the ultimate detail brushes. I am just wondering if they really are worth twice as much over a PS-771? I can swing a Micron but it will set me back on buying a PS-290 for spraying base coats and clears on my lures. I also do not have to have a Micron just to have it if the PS-771 is close to their performance for half price.

I did see a review on youtube from ChromaAir Airbrush Studio where they used the PS-771 along with the PS-270. They gave the PS-270 pretty high marks stating it could do fine detail work pretty close to the PS-771. It's in stock right now and little over $100 at spraygunner. Is that a good option or would I be buying the PS-771 or a Micron any way down the road?

What do you all think/recommend? Wait for the PS-771 to come back in stock? Buy a Micron? Go with the cheaper PS-270?

Thank you!

wow, that is a lot to take in ;) - fast answer - the PS270 is a fantastic brush - probably the best bang for the buck in the market today.

That said, the HP-CH can be successfully converted to a .2, and function exceptionally well, as long as you also change the nozzle cap with one sized for the .2. Iwata does advertise one as part of a .2 conversion, but the nozzle cap from the HP-BH works a charm.

My money - I would still grab the PS270 first ;). Oh, and I have a Micron, or two.

wow, that is a lot to take in ;) - fast answer - the PS270 is a fantastic brush - probably the best bang for the buck in the market today.

That said, the HP-CH can be successfully converted to a .2, and function exceptionally well, as long as you also change the nozzle cap with one sized for the .2. Iwata does advertise one as part of a .2 conversion, but the nozzle cap from the HP-BH works a charm.

My money - I would still grab the PS270 first ;). Oh, and I have a Micron, or two.

Thanks for the quick reply! I wanted to be as thorough as possible in asking my question. I am taking your answer as the PS270 is as capable or close to the ps771?

A 'micron' is overkill for your use, (but they're an awesome tool)
a lot of the time you can pull a decent fine line with a .3 needle. The Iwata HP-CS is a great all round workhorse and is only missing the inbuilt Mac valve of the -CH. if you get a seperate MAC valve to put on your airline you will not need the brush with the onboard one and save a few $$

seeing as you already have the CS just practise more with different reductions/pressures and use the normal beginner exercises to help get the detail you are after. The ability to do detail is just practice with the brush you dialling in the psi/reduction. 'detail' brushes just make it easier :)

how about popping over to the intro section (and maybe add your location to your profile so we can recommend suppliers etc )
upload_2021-8-26_10-14-44.jpeg

Thanks for the quick reply! I wanted to be as thorough as possible in asking my question. I am taking your answer as the PS270 is as capable or close to the ps771?

I personally reach from an Iwata HP-B or HP-BH in .2 more than almost anything, because they are smaller in overall size than the PS270 - but, can assure you, the PS270 is a very well preforming brush. It has a unique head design that is like a hybrid between the more common fixed head configuration, and a Micron removable head system that allows the PS270 to work very, very well. Much of the ability to pull super fine details is a matter of understanding the brush you are using, and, well... practice, practice, practice.

don't forget to consider the availability of spares, not all brands have retailers everywhere so you'll need to factor in travel time before getting a spare part

Back