Airbrush cleaners

T

Tdog

Does it really matter what cleaner I use if I use water based acrylics. I am experimenting with different brands at the moment . Createx colors, Spektra Tex and such. I use homebrew cleaners for my old guns but want to get away from that with new airbrushes. And if only one airbrush cleaner what do you recommend.

Tdog

I use createx illustration and use water most of the time but when that isn't enough I use their "restorer" it's reusable so it's economical.
I also use E'tac EFX. Straight water clean up.

I usually use just water, but a professional once told me to use a spray can of throttle body and carby cleaner. Its cheap and it works great. I use it now and again for a good clean. Won`t hurt your air brush.

ok what I meant was what brand of cleaner ie. iwata cleaner if I'm using createx paints and vice versa .I don't want to end up with 20 brands of cleaner but just buy one good one in a larger quantity. Sorry bout the confusion.

Tdog
Yes I've used the windex and glycerine and all the other stuff and for that I apologize lol.
Carb cleaner never thought of that one.

As the other have said most of the time water will do the job and if it's a little stubborn I run a alcohol such as mentholated spirts to budge what the water doesn't- I'm just to cheap to buy a branded cleaner.

If you want to purchase a brand I would say that createx cleaner and restorer should cover most waterbase paint brands.

Thanks for the replies, I just switched to this water based paints things . Always shot oil based before in bigger brushes so different ball game.

Tdog

I usually use just water, but a professional once told me to use a spray can of throttle body and carby cleaner. Its cheap and it works great. I use it now and again for a good clean. Won`t hurt your air brush.
I use that too,and it will take the paint right out,I also spray it thru my nozzle when it gets bad

I use a 10:1 mixture of water and eco friendly all purpose cleaner. But when I use Daler Rowney FW, Schmincke or Lukas paints, I have to break out the Medea Airbrush Cleaner.

Love this tip. Been looking at cleaners over the past few days but this one just seems cheap and easy. Will give it a go if water doesn't clean it properly.

I see I'm not the only one that use's carb cleaner:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Does it corrode the rubber seals in the airbrush??? Would acetone work as well???

Acetone , Carb cleaner are not recommended for using in airbrushes.
While the one airbrushes have a PFTE needle bearing prolong usage can soften it. Same thing with Createx's Restorer 5619.
It is recommended you only soak the nozzle and needle in restorer and never ever spray it in the air.
They only time I have to use restorer is if I have an issue with a clog due to dried paint build up inside the nozzle.
Other than that I use water or a mixture of Alcohol 25% water 75% to give it a little extra punch.

Homemade reducers of Alcohol , water and a few drops of Glycerin is fine ,

. . . .
Other than that I use water or a mixture of Alcohol 25% water 75% to give it a little extra punch.

Homemade reducers of Alcohol , water and a few drops of Glycerin is fine ,

Isopropyl Alcohol or denatured alcohol (also called Mentholated Spirits) ?

What about White Spirits???

Diggers White Spirits (home dry cleaning fluid) is a widely used hydrocarbon solvent that provides good solvency with controlled evaporation.

• Good solvency for oil, grease, wax, silicone and general dirt
  • Removes stains
  • Can be used for multi-purpose cleaning and thinning applications
  • Home dry cleaning fluid
  • Carpet cleaning

I actually use 200 proof or 100% ethanol alcohol which is the same thing most doctors use to wipe your arm prior to given you a shot.
`Denature alcohol it your second choice.

What about White Spirits???

Diggers White Spirits (home dry cleaning fluid) is a widely used hydrocarbon solvent that provides good solvency with controlled evaporation.

• Good solvency for oil, grease, wax, silicone and general dirt
  • Removes stains
  • Can be used for multi-purpose cleaning and thinning applications
  • Home dry cleaning fluid
  • Carpet cleaning
NOPE .unless the paint MFG says to use it.

Typical Uses:
  • Home dry cleaning fluid.
  • Carpet cleaning.
  • Spot remover.
  • Paint thinner and cleaner.
  • Wax remover and degreaser.
Features:
  • Good solvency for oil, grease, wax, silicone and general dirt.
  • No residue on drying.
  • Removes stains.
  • Can be used for multi-purpose cleaning and thinning applications.
Application:
Dry Cleaning and Spot Removal
Dab the stained area with a lint free cloth soaked in Diggers White Spirits and blot dry. Always test on a small area first.

Paint Thinner and Cleaner
Always follow paint manufacture’s directions when thinning paint. Use undiluted to clean paint brushes and equipment after use.

Degreaser
Use undiluted to remove built-up oil and grime without leaving residue.

Note: do not let product come in contact with rubber.

Safety:

Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye / face protection when using this product.

lollol Mentholated spirit !? That's a new one one me!!!! Must smell minty o_O

Methylated Spirits is what it should have said

I did read that and have a bit of a laugh. All good, I knew what you meant.

Back